SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diagnosed With Severe Sleep Apnea
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diagnosed With Severe Sleep Apnea Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've used mine regularly, for about 6 or 7 years. I'm claustrophobic, I had to learn to acclimate myself to it. I still have bouts of claustrophobia every now and then. I end up taking it off and relaxing for some time. When I have a cold, I may not use it for a few days.

An added benefit (and HUGE for me) is the water reservoir. I had a bad reaction to the desert air, back in the last invasion of Iraq. I now regularly use saline nasal spray, since my body doesn't quite keep up. The reservoir prevents my nose from drying up too bad.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The humidifier is great, be sure to buy distilled water by the gallon to fill it in order to eliminate any scaling issues, especially if you have hard water.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've used a CPAP for ~15 years. I can't imagine NOT having it. I took to it right away and get the best night's sleep imaginable. It was only after getting mine that I realized how much my first WIFE snored. She eventually got one too.

They also offered me the surgery. It didn't make a bit of difference. Go for the CPAP first!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have a few Resmed Air Sense 10 machines that were used for 30-day evaluations on patients, which they were non-compliant and we got the units back. We check out each piece including a medical cleaning, at a great deal if anyone is looking.

There are quite a few members here that got their units from me.

Email in profile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I didn't snore in the past (so I'm told).

Somewhere along the way before I left the Navy I began having lots of sinus problems and throat infections. Navy did an operation to clear my sinus passages but the doc mentioned at the time "your sinus can grow/scar tissue back shut".

So I had a sleep study in 2018 after my wife strongly suggested... sleep apnea was the diagnosis.
I can tell you that if I sleep on my back- I snore. I can only sleep on my right side without snoring, so the CPAP machine really helps.

I now use a Resmed Airsense 10.
Suggestion-wise- I found it was best to position the machine where the hose could easily move around as I turned in sleep (slightly elevated above the bed level) without getting snagged. Most everyone I know prefers the full face mask (because once you open your mouth, there you go)... That particular model does a great job of keeping the humidity appropriate and you can adjust.

If you are the designated dog out at night person, try and see if you can get a relief until you get used to the machine. Sometimes our dog doesn't get up at all during the night and other times (I'm betting due to deer) she wants to go out twice. It gave me a little frustration when I was trying to get used to the mask. Good luck!

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a CPAP (Resmed AirSense 10) for two years now. What drove me to get checked out was my wife said I was snoring so badly she was not sleeping well and was waking up due to my loud snoring.

The Mrs. went to my normal yearly physical exam with me, and complained to the doctor about my snoring. The doctor asked all the usual screening questions - do I have trouble staying awake during the day, etc. I answered "no" to these questions. The only symptom I really had was I occasionally woke up with headaches. My blood pressure is normal, but I am about 30 pounds overweight.

So, I went in for a sleep study. Turns out I had Severe obstructive sleep apnea, but some central as well. My O2 sats went down into the 70s while I was asleep! No wonder I was waking up with headaches, I was "hung over" from Oxygen deprivation. I recall I was having nearly 100 "events" during sleep. So, I got the CPAP machine.

I was convinced I had sleep apnea, but was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep with the mask. It turned out this wasn't as bad a concern as I feared. I grew accustomed to it quickly, and the sleep was a LOT better. I also experienced a significant increase in dreams during sleep, and remembering them when I woke up.

In the two years I have had the machine, I have only missed about 5 nights using the machine. 4 of those nights were because I went out of town and forgot to bring an essential part of the machine, so it wouldn't work.

Now, I would not consider sleeping at night without it. I do *NOT LIKE* having to use the machine, mind you, but I sleep so much better with it it's worth the trouble. My machine automatically uploads each evening's sleep results to a web site, and I have an app on my phone where I can see trends and results. The doctors also have access to this information in the event I need to adjust anything, but in two years, I haven't had to. Typically, with the machine, I now have about 3-4 events per hour, vs. around 100 per hour with the machine.

Good Luck - overall, the CPAP has been a success story for me, a real inconvenience but a huge improvement in quality of sleep.

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
One thing I do now is keep the unit on the ground next to the mattress. Used to have it on the night stand until every now and then some water could enter the tube to my nose and they suggested moving it. I like it down there as the light is bothersome when it first comes on for a few seconds.

Hose management is some thing to learn and I can now sleep on either side, and my back, and sometimes my stomach, and the trick is how you manually move the hose when you move from say your right side to your left, while you're sleeping. Takes awhile.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There are some advances in the dental field regarding SA. So tech in moving forward. Sort of like the colonoscopy realm. Just the other end. Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard! I started using a CPAP circa 2016 after years of snoring, and at that time concern from my wife that I was stopping breathing during sleep. Guess I'm glad she didn't just let that get worse!

My event count wasn't as bad as some and I didn't have issues staying awake during day, but my sleep did improve measurable after getting on this. As did hers since the snoring is gone! Interestingly I also had recently developed occasional acid reflux while sleeping and this did away with that. Others have experienced that but it's not universal.

As a snorer I obviously wasn't breathing through nose and went with full face mask. After a few weeks was able to get used to that, but as many will suggest you have to stick with it to get over that hump. Using it a couple hours every few days won't really help all that much. If you wake up a couple times early on due to rolling over and maneuvering hose don't worry, your overall sleep will still be better.

quote:
One thing I do now is keep the unit on the ground next to the mattress.

Even if not on the ground, just below the level of your head will help eliminate moisture buildup in hose. First time I experienced this was in a hotel with high table and I had a gurgling noise in hose. Now have a nightstand with shelf just below head and when in hotels either put in a drawer or rig up something else at proper level. Putting on the floor would just create more tension on hose in my setup and wake me more.

This illustrates a great point - there are several very active message boards out there for ideas, help, etc.

On a personal note I had a very good friend who already had heart issues and was diagnosed with pretty severe apnea at about age 65. He tried a CPAP and struggled with it, binned it after a month or less. Several months later he had a fatal heart attack in the middle of the night. Directly related - probably not, but the stress on heart of apnea is well documented and this didn't help his situation I am sure.

I know some are skeptical that everyone tested will be deemed to need CPAP, but for those with real issues and high incidence on of events like many of the posters, it may save your life or at least buy you some years.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I've used one for 2 years now. I forgot what it was like to dream again. I am more energized now, but it is a pain in the butt to lug around when I used to travel. That "Inspire" technology looks very interesting

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I resisted it for a long time, and am sad that I did. It took a couple days to get used to but it made TONS of difference.

The doc said I was the best at sleep apnea he ever saw, and that I stopped breathing 70 or so times each hour. Like, more than once per minute.

Get it. You will feel SO much better.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
> Nine hours last night. Another late meal and another AHI near one. Mask seal / aka leaks per minute was zero for the last 4 days.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
> Nine hours last night. Another late meal and another AHI near one. Mask seal / aka leaks per minute was zero for the last 4 days.

What machine/app are you using?

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6005 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me think I should see if I need one. My sleep typically sucks and I've been getting 5 hours sometimes up to 8.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I've used one for 2 years now. I forgot what it was like to dream again. I am more energized now, but it is a pain in the butt to lug around when I used to travel. That "Inspire" technology looks very interesting

I havent dreamed in a long time. Is that possibly a sleep apnea thing?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
If you are remembering your dreams...

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-101

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 3rd machine the newest one is the resmed 10 very quiet and it's auto setting. I like the nose pillow mask

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
What machine/app are you using?

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with an AirFit P10 nose pillow.
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I havent dreamed in a long time. Is that possibly a sleep apnea thing?
I believe it is. With uninterrupted sleep, you go through the much needed sleep cycles - which includes dreams / REM sleep iirc.

Check this out from your library: Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Dr. Mathew Walker. It'll open your eyes to the importance of sleep, and all of the essential (clean-up) processes that your brain goes through.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I have a few Resmed Air Sense 10 machines that were used for 30-day evaluations on patients, which they were non-compliant and we got the units back. We check out each piece including a medical cleaning, at a great deal if anyone is looking.

Email in profile.

I am.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Email in profile.

I am.

email sent.
I currently have 1 auto (APAP) and 2 CPAP all ResMed airsense 10's
available.
I have 3 NIB units for a steal as well.
Respironics, 3b and Viasys

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post