SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do in Maine for 5 weeks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Maine for 5 weeks Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Hookers and blow? Beat, JHE to it Big Grin

The hookers have that accent, though. "Hey, buddy, I'll show ya a wicked good time."

Fishing would be on my agenda, too. And lobster eating.

Are you there during hunting season? Moose hunt? But remember the old joke about moose hunting:

What's the best place to shoot a moose?

Right near the pickup.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I love Maine... In the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Big Grin

If you go out in the "boonies" in the spring the black flies will eat you alive, I am told.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We just came back from a 2 week trip though Nova Scotia and Maine and I think the guys have pretty well covered it.
I would add that if you are driving up through NH and you would have to) the state's liquor stores are conveniently located in rest stops and have some of the cheapest liquor prices around so get some either going and/or coming home..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I love Maine... In the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Big Grin

If you go out in the "boonies" in the spring the black flies will eat you alive, I am told.

It varies a bit from year to year, but essentially, you were told right.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How far away is Sig? Might be worth a trip one day.
Beautiful coastline but the waters cold, even in the summer.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My ship pulled into Portland Once....

I got really really REALLY drunk and had to go back to the ship...

The next day I paced myself and found it to be a lot of fun, the ladies were nice, the town was nice, It WAS really cold (December), I can neither confirm nor deny any sailoring occurred....that is all

Nova Scotia was a lot more ahem, er, betterer for the meeting of the ladies....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I just had my meeting and head up Monday for a 7am start. Turns out the job is in Lewiston not Portland. Hiking and fishing are definitely on the plan. I'll visit Acadia as well. The job has also been extended to 7 weeks. I'll shoot emails to the guys who extended invites once I get up there and settled in. Maybe a group dinner or a few individual ones. Either way my treat.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I'd steer clear of Deery, unless you want to float.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You get to go to L.A.? Sorry. Portland has some nice things there. L.A. is a bit rustic in comparison. Much like Minneapolis, there is a large Somali population. I just googled it and out of 36000 people, 5000 are Somali. That is a pretty large number.

I'm from Maine originally, so I feel OK ripping it a bit. Try coffee brandy- it is what everyone seems to drink up there.

You can still get lobsters that far inland, and they will cook them for you at the grocery store if you are not on unlimited expenses.

Get to Portland, get out to the mountains and look around. you may have some nice foliage, since you will be up there a few weeks.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Lewiston? I spent 4 years in college there '71-'75. Sorry to say it has changed tremendously. Plus side is you are slightly closer to both Mt. Washington and Quebec City. Definitely get out of town on your free time.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Fall color drives a must

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Bissell Brothers Brewery is a must.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
hike and fish your ass off

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Don't forget canoeing or kayaking. My wife's cousin has a daughter who lives around Bah Hahbah, loves to kayak.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
I'd steer clear of Deery, unless you want to float.

I live in "Derry," near the manhole that was the inspiration. We actually went to see IT tonight...scarier than I thought it would be.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Coworker went for a week. He literally ate lobster at every meal. Not much else to do.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bring your passport and take the fast ferry to Novia Scotia from Arcadia/Bar Harbor area.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post