SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do in Maine for 5 weeks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Maine for 5 weeks Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Acadia, Cadillac Mountain, Bar Harbor, Kennebunk, is what we did. Lobster rolls and clam strips everywhere. Smile

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drive through the Acadia national forest in bar harbor maine

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The entire coast is beautiful. Take Rt. 24 south of Brunswick to Orr and Bailey's Island, then head over to Harpswell. Check out Bath and the Maine Maritime Museum.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, KTP has been mentioned several times. Well worth checking out. I was there yesterday. They have a huge selection of used handguns, and quite a few rifles. I spotted Stoger shotguns. Very simple self defense setup for $200... might take one home.

You will get your fill of seafood, so definitely check out "THE STEAKHOUSE". No reservations, but fantastic food, excellent service at a very good price. I had one of the best ribeye there last year, and the side of baked beans blew it out of the water! Going tomorrow!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If you DO happen to get to Acadia NP, I can cut you a hell of a deal on lobster!

Acadia has two sections, the "main attraction" in Bar Harbor which is about 45 minutes or an hour from me, and the Schoodic Section which is 5 minutes from me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a botanical garden just a bit North of Portland that is on the coast. I was quite surprised to find that it's climate was actually warmer than Iowa due to the ocean. I know it might sound a bit lame but I really enjoyed walking through the gardens and it is an interesting anomaly regarding what grows well there. It was a nice change of pace from all the traffic filled roads at the time I visited. A real life moment of zen.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear that some guy up there has a cash of Vernor's pop.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I hear that some guy up there has a cash of Vernor's pop.

I can neither confirm nor deny, but I will point out that I'm well armed... Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like my trip will be starting either late this week or early next week. My meeting with project management is Monday and I'll take it from there. Another 5 weeks of keeping buildings from turning into craters.
I'll have my work truck and fishing gear. What does a fishing permit cost?
Sounds like some scenic drives and hiking are in order as well.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK here's a very brief intro and mostly a placeholder. I live an hour north of Portland on the coast. There is lots and lots to do in and around Portland. And much more if you have time that lets you drive places. In addition if your schedule lets you I will gladly take you shooting at one of the local clubs (steel matches are Sat. am and/or tactical on Thursday nights) and will provide necessary equipment, ammo etc. since you are not traveling with it. Or if you are booked those times we can just go shooting some time for fun. fishing license for non residents is $64 with some lesser cost options for shorter licenses. https://moses.informe.org/cgi-...nline/moses_v3/index
Its probably easier if you email me since some of this stuff really depends on some more specific details of your work schedule, budget, interests etc.
But if you prefer to dialog this on SF I'd be fine with that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
There is a tiny museum in Portland that's worth an a hour of your time.

http://cryptozoologymuseum.com/

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're into hiking, go to Mt. Megunticook. The hike to the top is worth the view when you get there.

Don't forget to visit the Maine State Prison store for inexpensive, awesome woodwork.

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
If you are around Bangor then stop in at the Eagles Nest in Brewer for a lobster roll!

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't hear back if we are doing this on SF or email so here goes on Part 1 eating.
Lunch:
-Duckfat
-Little Tap House
-Micucci's

Dinner:
-Pai Men Miyake
-Boda
-Green Elephant
-Local 188
-Sur Lie
-Central Provisions
-Eventide
-Honey Paw

Coffee:
-Bard Coffee
-Speckled Ax
-Tandem

Drinks
-Hunt and Alpine
-Jewel Box

Breweries
-Bissel Brothers
-Alagash
-Oxbow
-Rising Tide

That will take a day or two.
jb

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I dunno.

Uncle Fred Allen said the town he was from in Maine was so dull, one day the tide went out and never came back.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lobster for all five meals a day, and steamers n beer for the other two.

And L.L. Bean.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Of the cities RogueJSK mentioned, I'd go to Quebec City. Closest of the three and a great time of year up there. Less crowded than summer. Just remember your passport or passport card.

If you go to Mt. Washington, there's taxfree outlet shopping in North Conway - LL Bean has an outlet there.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on a 35 week long project at Maine Yankee nuclear plant in '95. Worked 6 12's per week, dinner every evening after work at the Boothbay Fisherman's Co-op for lobster off the boat cooked with cole slaw, fries and a drink, I think it was like, $7. Smile
Off days were for day trips along Rt. 1 up to Acadia or down into New Hampshire, Kittery or Portsmouth and Hampton NH. Freeport for the outlets and the main LL Bean store of course.
There was a little lobster shack just at the entrance to the actual Acadia park, my father in law had the biggest lobster there I ever saw. It was so big, the cook had to come out with a wooden mallet to crack the claw open. That claw was the size of a catcher's mitt. Smile
I loved seeing the Navy ships in the docks at Bath Iron Works being built or refitted.
It was kind of funny, after Memorial Day and before labor Day, the locals were definitely saltier toward anyone with a license plate from south of Maine. Smile
I also had several cases in Maine and New Hampshire when I had a PI business. I really love it there, one of my favorite places on earth.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
"I'm pretty sure Maine is the setting of most Steven King novels."

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VKgvNCnS960

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I love Maine... In the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Big Grin

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post