SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to do in Maine for 5 weeks
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Maine for 5 weeks Login/Join 
posted
So my company is sending me to a project in Portland Maine for 5 weeks. I will need to find something to do for the 16 hours between shifts. I plan on bringing my fishing gear, both surf and inland.
Any must see places or restaurants etc. I will not be bringing any firearms as I will be traveling through Massachusetts and don't want to risk any issues.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Never been there, but I'm sure the price of lobstah would go up due to the hurtin' I put on the population.

2 of my coworkers vacationed there a couple years ago.

I'll be interested in hearing the suggestions as well.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
L.L.Bean in Freeport.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eat freshly caught seafood?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Hookers and blow? Beat, JHE to it Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Eat lots of lobster. Lots of microbreweries in Portland. Explore the coast. Go up to Acadia on a weekend.

FYI, SigAcademy is about an hour or so south of Portland - go take some weekend classes...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GET A GOOD MILKSHAKE. Someone told me they do not make good ones in Ohio. Drive up to Bar Harbor and hang out with some old Navy guy.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Hook up with PHPaul.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
PHPaul is about 2.5 hours from Portland. I'm about 20 minutes, if you need some range time while you're up here.
Lots of good hiking, and fishing is still going ok. Just remember that you need a license for fresh water, and the registry for salt water. Game wardens are hard on licenses, don't try to skirt it.
If you like history, there are some cool older coastal defense fortresses that you can explore.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the beautiful scenery, delicious blueberry muffins, and lobstah. Travel around the state. Visit LL Bean and the Kittery Trading Post. Drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain. Head down to Epping, NH and take a course at the SIG Academy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Portland is a small town but it's a blast. You'll figure out the bars and restaurants quickly. Make sure you have a vehicle. The rides along the coast are awesome.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Well you can spend some time on Fore street.

Make friends with someone who is a member of this place.

Scarborough Fish & Game Association

<http://www.scarfg.org>

Go to the Fryeburg Fair.

<http://www.fryeburgfair.org/>

L.L. Bean

Kittery Trading Post

Drive over to NH and go up MT. Washington before it closes for the winter.

Go to Boston for a weekend.

And take a drive up to Waterville for a walk through these two auction houses.

<http://poulinantiques.com/>

<https://jamesdjulia.com/>

Enjoy.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
try some all day or half day fishing on the atlantic just ask the guys locals for the bests boat to go on

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
after 40 minutes of searching , all I came up with was eat.

ok eat and see the wonderful scenery .

and thats pretty much it.

see you forty pounds from now Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54503 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I think I'd auto tour between Camden and Bar Harbor.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
A guy I work with takes his family to Acadia National Park on Mount Desert Island every year and rents a cabin by the water. The pictures he shares make it look heavenly.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
after 40 minutes of searching , all I came up with was eat.

ok eat and see the wonderful scenery.

You left out the drinking part. Very big in ME.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I used to work in Maine. There's plenty of stuff to do around Maine, for sure. If you're into the outdoors, I definitely recommend checking out some of the areas like Acadia and Mount Katahdin. If you're going right now, then you're hitting it during prime leaf-changing season, and the scenery will be incredible. Be sure to find an apple orchard and stop in for some fresh apple cider and cider donuts.

Eat a ton of lobster, for sure. It's stupid cheap, especially if you buy it basically right off the boat over at the coast. $5/pound cheap. While lobster is an expensive delicacy to most everyone else across the country, up there, it's no big deal. Locals are like:
-"I'm a little hungry... Want to get McDonalds?"
-"Nah, let's get some lobster instead." Big Grin

And since you'll be there for 5 weeks, don't limit yourself to just Maine. If you have days/weekends off, you can also explore a bit further out.

Boston is an easy ~1.5 hour trip from Portland. Head down in the morning, explore Boston all day, drive back to Portland that evening. Perfect for a day off.

If you have a weekend off, places like Quebec, Montreal, and New York City are within a ~5 hours drive. Drive in on Friday afternoon/evening, and drive back on Sunday evening. Have all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday to explore.

Similarly, you can take a ~6 hour ferry over to Nova Scotia. But you'll have to plan around the ferry schedule, so that may be better for something like several days off in a row, or a long weekend.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
LOBSTER! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post