SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Aphids on tomato plants - is there a cure?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aphids on tomato plants - is there a cure? Login/Join 
posted
Hello all,
Growing my first batch of heirloom Krim Tomatoes and a “Giant Tomato” Version from Lowe’s. They are growing amazingly well in an off brand earth box with lots of green tomatoes on them now.
Aphids have been invading and I seem to be losing the fight. They are multiplying. Have tried a 3-in-1 spray, no longer keeping them away. What can you suggest? Does a water/dawn spray solution really work?

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandparents would get a bag of lime and spread it on the tomato plant leaves. It seemed to work well.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will want to try the tomato pie recipe posted by “olfuzzy” today.

posted Hide Post
Sevin spray works.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I use this. It's good for just about anything that attacks tomatoes.

You've got mail

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-...-Ounce/dp/B000OWB6UW

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Sevin spray works.

I've always used the dust. Felt like it was a little more resistant to rain purely cause I can't see the spray. Also, it's cheaper.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Neem oil with natural detergent.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Sevin spray works.

It's effective if you apply it on the back side of the leaves as well. It's time consuming but worth the effort.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Plant some heavy pollen producing plants. They attract ladybugs. Ladybugs eat aphids.

I avoid Seven powders/sprays as they need to be washed off and not everything we grow can be washed after it buds (hops). But you can wash a tomato, on it's surface.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Neem oil with natural detergent.

^^ This what I use for Aphids ^^

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
You can buy ladybugs and turn them loose. A small population of ladybugs will wipe out your aphid problem lickity-split. However, be sure you haven’t sprayed in awhile. Pesticides will kill your little hunters too.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
1. Take banana peels and wrap them around the stalk (this is a systemic fix).

2. Get a spray bottle full of lemon juice and spray the plants.
2.a. Repeat as required until systemic results are realized.

3. Have a tomato n bacon sammich

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You can buy ladybugs and turn them loose. A small population of ladybugs will wipe out your aphid problem lickity-split. However, be sure you haven’t sprayed in awhile. Pesticides will kill your little hunters too.

This!! Ladybugs!

Ask at the register of your local nursery. If not available then order online. Not only will the ladybugs killify the aphids but you will be entertained watching thousands of ladybugs scramble high and low.

https://www.arbico-organics.co...-insects-generalists

Chemicals?? N-O!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would have been my suggestion.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can buy ladybugs and turn them loose.

This. Or, praying mantises. You can buy them online as well.

Sevin works great for killing them, but I wouldn't put it on anything that I plan on consuming.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
What happened to using 7 dust?
We always used the long puffers to put all over the tomatoes.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for responding! This was my first post and I am excited about your ideas. Will try them all until I get it right.

Really want that tomato pie and sammwich. ☺️