SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has anyone tried the Dark Sky weather app?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried the Dark Sky weather app? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Has anyone tried the Dark Sky weather app? Pricey at $4, but has good reviews on the Apple App Store, for what that’s worth. My current weather apps are less than great, so I’m tempted to try it. Wunderground does have one nice feature though: it allows me to select a weather station near my home.

Apple buys hyperlocal weather app Dark Sky

“Apple will kill off the Android version of the Dark Sky weather predicting app after purchasing the company for an undisclosed amount.

While there will be no change to the iOS version of the app, the Android version is no longer available to download and will be shutting down on July 1.

Dark Sky for Android has already been stripped from the Google Play Store to prevent new downloads.”

https://mol.im/a/8175751

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used it for several years. Not bad at all.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been using it since June of last year. I'm pleased with it. Occasionally the "rain coming" alerts have even saved me or the flag unexpectedly getting wet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Not as good as it once was, but still very good and helpful.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Not as good as it once was, but still very good and helpful.

He's right. It's still a pretty good app, accurate, and easy to navigate. The older version was better, but this one is still pretty good. I hope Apple doesn't mess with it.

The hourly forecast is pretty much spot on, radar screen is detailed.

I'd like to thank the members here for recommending that app to me.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Its an excellent app in its current form. Who's knows what it will become when Apple decides its future.

And I posted about this yesterday here... https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...820073864#4820073864

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s the only app I have ever paid for. It’s incredibly accurate as compared to the news because it gives you the weather right where you're at instead of a 200 mile metro area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Its an excellent app in its current form. Who's knows what it will become when Apple decides its future.

This exactly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I used it on our first trip to Southern Africa with my IPad.
It worked great and our group was pretty impressed with all the constellations identified.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I paid the $3.99 price to get the Dark Sky weather app for my iPhone X, and I’ve been using it for almost a week now. It’s very good. I already had four other weather apps, each of which was good in one or two respects, but Dark Sky is as good or better in all respects. I’ve moved those other weather apps aside, and will probably delete them. Well worth the $3.99 price!

One puzzle: Some of the reviews on the Apple App Store mention a star constellation recognition feature. smlsig’s post, immediately above, does too. I haven’t been able to find that, but don’t need it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I've been using it for years and love it. Their rain prediction is spot on. If it says it's going to rain in 10 minutes, start moving to cover. It's accurate to within minutes of when rain will start/end in my experience.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Why would Apple kill it for Android?
An app so good it's an enticement to buy Apple Roll Eyes or not enough Android users to keep it going?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Why would Apple kill it for Android?
An app so good it's an enticement to buy Apple Roll Eyes
Nope. There's always been an iOS version available, so iPhone owners have always had access to the program.
quote:
...or not enough Android users to keep it going?
App had tons of Android user support.

Personally, there are a wealth of phone apps built for Android and iOS, and one would think as successful as Dark Skies has been on 'both' platforms Apple would have opted to keep it that way. But there are a number of things Apple does that are uniquely Apple, and this is just another one of those things.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Not sure why. But it’s not nearly as accurate as it was. I used to be able to time rain to the minute. Now the app is wrong consistently.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Not sure why. But it’s not nearly as accurate as it was. I used to be able to time rain to the minute. Now the app is wrong consistently.

Just within the last week or so? Could be from Android users dropping the app. According to one article I read, Android users were 70% of Dark Sky's user base. I predicted Apple shutting out Android would damage the app's local accuracy. Not hard to figure out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Amazon Alexa, I use Big Sky. Big Sky uses the Dark Sky API to provide hyperlocal forecasts and it's creepy accurate for when rain will start and stop if it's forecast that day. On Alexa, Big Sky is free but there is a premium level available (I haven't tried or felt a need to try). Free is good, just tell me temp, sunrise, sunset and when it's going to rain. Big sky does that and more. There are also alert notifications for unusual weather conditions. Big Sky (Dark Sky) is my go to for weather specific to my address, I wouldn't pay a monthly subscription for it though. While this is best for current address weather, there are just too many ways to find out the weather without paying a cent.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Is that $4 once or is a subscription of $4 a month?

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Dark Sky on my iPhone for several months now, and absolutely love it. Compared to other weather apps I’ve used prediction accuracy is as good as any, and better than most. But two things really set it apart:
* Its wonderfully clean user interface.
* The great variety of info selections.
For the selected location there are hour by hour predictions for:
TEMP (°F)
FEELS-LIKE (°F)
PRECIP PROB (%)
PRECIP RATE (IN/HR)
WIND (MPH) (and direction)
WIND GUSTS (MPH) (and direction)
HUMIDITY (%)
DEW POINT (°F)
UV INDEX
CLOUD COVER(%)
PRESSURE(MB)

Its $4 purchase price (no monthly or yearly fees) is a bargain.

Serious about crackers

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I use RadarNow on Adroid - which is free.

I get:
- Visibility
- Temp& cloud cover
- Wind dir and speed
- dewpoint
- Humity
- Barometer
- Radar overlay

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post