SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turning around in a driveway.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning around in a driveway. Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I learned my lesson on this at a young age. I was riding in the back seat of a mid 80s G Body clunker when the driver got lost. He pulled into the apron of a driveway in Peninsula, Ohio to turn around. We instantly realized that the wrong driveway had been selected when roughly 8 drunken white trash leapt from the front stoop, closed the gap in the blink of an eye, and started pummeling the car. Unable to back out onto the busy street, the driver floored it in drive, (probably running over some feet in the process), and turfed the shit out of the lawn to get out of there.

I don't think that I've turned around in a driveway since.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I despise the practice. And I never do it to other people. In my present neighborhood, I will drive the extra length to turn around at the end of the street rather than use a neighbor's driveway.

In my previous house in CA, I had a very nice paver driveway. People would use my driveway to turn around and many would leave tire marks on the driveway. These idiots would start to turn their wheels sharply before actually moving back, thus grinding their tires into the pavers. I have gone outside to confront folks and their responses were the same; it was MY fault- I had a wide driveway and it was their right to use mine for their inept driving skills Mad . And the street was plenty wide enough for a 3 point turn.

I eventually installed a chain system to keep these morons out. And my next door neighbor was not too happy; they started to use HER driveway, leaving tire marks on her driveway. She eventually got orange cones to put out during the day after weeks of cleaning off the tire marks.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My driveway is fenced so yeah, I'd have a BIG problem with it if they drove onto my drive...and into the gate. It's private property, and I try to respect the property rights of others. I naturally would expect the same courtesy in return.

Prior to the fence going up, occasionally people would use my driveway as a turnaround. It was an unintended consequence of the fence (put up for security reasons), but it's nice not having my drive be considered by the inconsiderate few as some sort of extension of the public right-of-way.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Turning around in a drive isn't a big deal JMO, now other than circle drive and people pulling thorough, someone pulling up a few feet and backing out to reverse direction doesn't upset me.

People get lost and make mistakes, although with GPS it should be less and less an issue.

What does are the nipshit guests of my neighbor who for some reason think parking in the tiny area between our two drives is ok when they party leaving the end of their car sticking out past the end of my drive. I want a faux fire hydrant to put out there, call the cops and get them ticketed since they make it difficult to leave the drive.

However I've got one sprinkler, a high volume one that over sprays that area with a nice bath of hard water, so as soon as they leave their nice clean car I crank on the sprinkler for an hour or more, hard water spots are a bitch to get off.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Generally I'm the type of person who wants to be left alone, want uninvited people to stay off my property. However, if someone needs to turn around in the street, which happens alot as I'm near the entrance to a neighborhood which uses the same name, with the suffixes Street, Place, Ave, Court, Boulevard, Parkway, Circle, Trail, etcetera, for many streets, including mine. People often get a little lost, and need to turn around. In over a decade I've only had one sprinkler head damaged by someone turning around. Not a big deal, and I'd rather they quickly turn around using my driveway, than trying to do a three point turn across both lanes of traffic, or getting more lost trying to thread their way through the neighborhood.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Park in my driveway and I'll have your car towed; there's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

People really do that shit? What in the world would make them think it's okay to park in someone else's driveway???

We have the state fair one town over. Friend of my daughter's moved in near to the fair. The first day she came home to find her driveway and lawn full of cars. Having no place to park she called the tow truck. Then her neighbor came banging on the door. He'd rented parking to the cars. He claimed the owner before had allowed it and so should she! When she asked about the money he was making, he really blew.
Soon after she got a gate.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
We just purchased a home in Murphy, NC that actually has loop from the drive to the end of the property that connects to the same road.

Damn if my security camera didn't catch a commercial truck get to the end of the road, turn left on to our lot, drive down a grass strip and exit off the pad and back on to the road, some ass hat just to lazy to make a 3 point turn and head back down the road....!

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WildSig:
I don't care if people turn around in my driveway during the summer or winter if it has been cleaned off but if has just snowed stay the hell off of it so that you don't pack the snow down.

^^^^^ This, if you need to turn around in my driveway shovel it first.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently moved into a house on 3 acres and the house is about 225 feet off the road, with a very large parking pad next to the house/garage - I could fit 3-4 large RVs there. Our house is also the first driveway people come to from the 4 way stop that is 1/2 mile away. So, lots of people turn around in my drive. I have no problem with them pulling in and backing out onto the road.

However at least once per day we had people that would pull all the way up the drive to the house to turn around. Then they would sometime stop to look into the courtyard in the center of the house, pointing and gesturing. I chased several of them off and finally got tired of it. So I spent the money to install electronic gates about 50 feet off the road. We still get lots of folks turning around but at least it keeps them away from the house.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't bother me, although I do live on a culdesac, so anyone that would use my drive way to turn around needs to have their license taken away.

I try to avoid doing it personally. I do feel like I'm trespassing and I'm always a little worried about that one crazy guy that might just start shooting.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It seems there are 2 ways people are taking this.

The first way, which is what I think of when turning around in a driveway, is pulling in just far enough to then back up and turn around - maybe half the car in the driveway or if a busy street just far enough to get out of traffic and then immediately back up and be on your way.

I've done that many times and have no problem at all with someone doing that in my driveway.

The other way people are taking it is people driving all the way up their driveway to their house, using a circular drive to cruise around, pulling into someone's yard, sitting or parking in the driveway or other nonsense. Obviously that is a no-go and not good to either do or have to tolerate.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post