SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turning around in a driveway.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning around in a driveway. Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’ve turned around in driveways and people have turned around in mine. Big deal.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Harmless or not. Private property is just that. Don’t infringe if avoidable. Harmless doesn’t make it right.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
First world problem...

... a phrase that needs to go away. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4985 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Private property is just that.

Yup, and usually it starts at 20' from the centerline of the road.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
... If you are mindful of the insignificant and things done/not done when no one is looking, it makes it easier to stay the course on the big and weight things that are very important.

My philosophy. ...
Exactly the point I was trying to make. It's only a matter of degrees between the small and large offenses.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what's your view on this?

decades ago I lived very rural in a 100+ year old house within 1/4 miles of a small 1 lane bridge over a creek...which had become a 'public swimming hole' over the preceding decades. Summertime party mode from late afternoon to late-late-early early hours grew over the years.

While there were some wide spots in the country road, the swelling population finally spilled over into my driveway. Well defined, it not make a dent in perception. I built a gate with clear sign "Do NOT block driveway"....at eye level facing when the gate.

The day after install, I returned from grocery run & here is a rig squarely blocking any way around. I reached under the hood & yanked the plug wires loose & flung them down.

It did seem to change the tenor of the discussion a couple hours later when the swimmers returned. They had to get towed miles & miles to nearest garage for repairs. Their unhappiness did not find any sympathy, either from the other partiers, the residents, or the kindly sheriff's officer who explained certain matters to the offending trespassers.

Never had another similar issue.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
The apron from my driveway to the road, fine. Plenty of room to turn around, and as someone pointed out it's public property. If you drive up to my garage you had better be delivering something.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Letting the air out of tires help cure those who would park in your driveway.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Forget about turning around in my driveway....you should see how pissed I get when people park in front of my house! Mad Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Someone turning around in my driveway doesn't bother me - it's a normal thing here in the suburbs.
Park in my driveway and I'll have your car towed; there's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Private property is just that.

Yup, and usually it starts at 20' from the centerline of the road.

It starts were I pay for it and am responsible for it's up keep and maintenance.

I have a problem with garbage trucks using a concrete entrance to a property that I paid for as a turn around. They've busted it up badly.

My parents used to live at the southern end of Third Street in Naples, Fl. Their driveway was a semicircle and one end lined up with Third Street. I can't tell you how many people used their drive as a turn around. When they built a new house on the same lot, they put a large berm there and planted a bouganvillia on it. Then someone tried to go Dukes of Hazzard up the berm. The car folded in half.

Posts: 10908 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Wow! I bet you are the guy that confiscates the kids ball if it rolls in your yard too! LOL!

I love in a small community of 500 that gets lots of visitors, as many as 20,000 over the main yearly festival weekend. We like to consider ourselves friendly here. I am the last house going out of town on one of the main routes. LOTS of people turn around in my drive and I don't mind at all, in fact I will go out of my way to wave to them if I am outside, sometimes they give a friendly wave back. Some times they pause to make a phone call, fine too, better than while driving. I have even been known to go assist them backing out into the road a couple times.

Life is much too short to worry about such harmless simple things.

You replied right after me but didn’t specificy whether this was addressed to the OP, so I’m going to go ahead and respond. There’s dogs that would lick a burglar to death while whining for belly rubs and there’s dogs that lose their F’ing minds when the doorbell rings, and I guess I trend more towards the latter. I don’t worry about these things, I am vigilant and cautious in protecting my homestead and as such, I don’t do these sorts of things when I’m out and about because I know there’s people who feel even more strongly about it than I, and I respect that.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I don't do it, but don't get bent if someone uses my driveway to turn around. I do wonder if the driveway approach is considered private property. The sidewalk around here is public except I'm responsible for clearing and maintaining it. So if the approach is public and the sidewalk is public, then I guess the first 7-10 feet are 'ollie, ollie oxen free'.

Parenthetically, the expression is, 'All ye, all ye outs in free'. Pertaining to hide and seek, when the game is called finished all the 'outs', those still out, are allowed 'in' free of consequence of losing. After generations of children mutating the expression, it finally became Ollie, Ollie oxen free. Smile lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Park in my driveway and I'll have your car towed; there's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

People really do that shit? What in the world would make them think it's okay to park in someone else's driveway???

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

People really do that shit? What in the world would make them think it's okay to park in someone else's driveway???
People that think they are the center of the universe and are entitled to do whatever they want.
I call them 'obliviots' - a combination of oblivious and idiot.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I would only consider it if it’s the only sensible way to turn around - because sometimes it is.

But as a general rule, no I’d look for an alternative way to reverse course - or better yet not get lost in the first place.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The turnaround for the county road that ends at our ranch gate is a convenient and scenic place to get a poke, or take a gronk, or drink 18 cans of Bud Light, or empty your ashtray. Naturally the resultant litter is left there for arf to pick up. I think it's understandable that I am less than thrilled to see people parked there, or turning around there, even if they may not be the guilty parties. It's "public property" though, so there's nothing I can do about it other than sit there and watch to see if they litter.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old house had a circular driveway. And it was at a point on the road, that for some reason, made people realize that they had "gone too far". it was a very regular occurrence, sometimes once a night and multiple times on the weekend. Not to mention the damage routinely done to my grass/sprinklers when they missed judged the turn. And I was not on a dead end, they could do a U-turn at the intersection less than a 1/4 mile up the road.

First world problem, yes, but when it is constantly happening, and you are dealing with the damage, well, it becomes a tad annoying. Even had trash thrown out the cars as they cut through.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I try not to do it if there are other options, but I have done it several times in my life and don't consider it a big deal. The exception to me is if it is at night and there's a chance that I might shine my headlights into their windows.

I also make a point to only drive in far enough to get turned around efficiently; front tires only. This is rarely past the point of a sidewalk, so really not an intrusion in my mind.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I try to have respect but I have done it on occasion when there wasn't a viable option anywhere nearby.

My driveway is also a right-of-way to a land-locked property behind me, so traffic is a given.

I DID, however, just order a "Private Drive, No Parking" sign as the building next to me on the South side was sold and is being repurposed as an antique shop. I had an occasional issue with people parking in my driveway when it was a real estate office.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post