SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Turning around in a driveway.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turning around in a driveway. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I got into a discussion yesterday that seems to have heated the opposition.

Someone made a joke about people that get upset when people turn around in their driveway.

I responded that it is rude so I don't ever do it.

This caused a few people to become angry that I consider the act inappropriate.

"It doesn't hurt anything", "I'm only there for 5 seconds" and "the first 5 feet are public property" were the gist of the responses. Then it was decided by the democrats that I'm an asshole.

My replies were (respectively):
If you did cause damage would you stop or just leave?

The length of time does not negate the intrusion.

The easement is for utility installment and repair and doesn't give the general public access to private land except for roads. (I admit I could be wrong about that but that's how I understand it).

So, what's your view on this?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay the hell out of my driveway.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Get off my lawn.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
Get off my lawn.
That's another thing. The neighbors have parties and their guests have parked in my lawn. One broke the gas shutoff cap. Did they care? Not even a little.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I try not to do it but if it’s the only option then I do it. And then it’s just enough to make a 3 point turn.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I don’t do it and I don’t like it when people turn around in my driveway. I agree, it’s an intrusion. Stay the Hell off my property. Then again, half the neighborhood thinks the road next to my house is the perfect turn-around spot and I’ve got cars flipping a u-turns day and night, which bothers me more. Rather than make a short 3-point turn in front of their house to park correctly in our wide street, it’s somehow easier to drive another hundred yards and do it right next to my house. Especially chaps my ass when my son is playing in the yard and I get to watch someone pull that nonsense.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wow! I bet you are the guy that confiscates the kids ball if it rolls in your yard too! LOL!

I love in a small community of 500 that gets lots of visitors, as many as 20,000 over the main yearly festival weekend. We like to consider ourselves friendly here. I am the last house going out of town on one of the main routes. LOTS of people turn around in my drive and I don't mind at all, in fact I will go out of my way to wave to them if I am outside, sometimes they give a friendly wave back. Some times they pause to make a phone call, fine too, better than while driving. I have even been known to go assist them backing out into the road a couple times.

Life is much too short to worry about such harmless simple things.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I don’t care if people turn around in my driveway and I turn around in others if I need to. It’s not a big deal. Does that make me a democrat too?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Wow! I bet you are the guy that confiscates the kids ball if it rolls in your yard too! LOL!

I love in a small community of 500 that gets lots of visitors, as many as 20,000 over the main yearly festival weekend. We like to consider ourselves friendly here. I am the last house going out of town on one of the main routes. LOTS of people turn around in my drive and I don't mind at all, in fact I will go out of my way to wave to them if I am outside, sometimes they give a friendly wave back. Some times they pause to make a phone call, fine too, better than while driving. I have even been known to go assist them backing out into the road a couple times.

This is my thought as well. It happens fairly often and I could really care less. I truly wish it was the biggest intrusion on my life.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Installed a fence and gate - problem solved.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care if people turn around in my driveway during the summer or winter if it has been cleaned off but if has just snowed stay the hell off of it so that you don't pack the snow down.

What burns my ass more than people turning around in my driveway is having people block my driveway or even park in my driveway. I have had several situations where people have parked in my driveway thinking its a parking lot.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The house I grew up in was 2 doors from the corner and the corner lot was a mom-n-pop grocery store. This is back in the 70s and 80s.

On busy days people would both park in front of my parent's house and use the driveway to turn around.

It as annoying but I got used to it. So meh...

But from my perspective, if I need to turn around, and I'm not in a city, I'm not taking three lefts and a right, I'm going to use either a driveway or a parking lot to do so.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

This is my thought as well. It happens fairly often and I could really care less. I truly wish it was the biggest intrusion on my life.

Jim
Well there are obviously those on the other side of the argument. So, how does a stranger know that they are welcome? They don't. So my point of it being rude stands.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
I don't care if people turn around in my driveway during the summer or winter if it has been cleaned off but if has just snowed stay the hell off of it so that you don't pack the snow down.

What burns my ass more than people turning around in my driveway is having people block my driveway or even park in my driveway. I have had several situations where people have parked in my driveway thinking its a parking lot.
I was just going to bring up the snow issue.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have returned home from a trip and found my driveway filled with several vehicles parked for a party taking place at a house down the street. I was somewhat impatient with the drivers because I can get cranky after an 11 hour drive.

I really try not to use a private driveway to turn around in, unless there’s no nearby safe option, and I expect the same courtesy from other drivers. Just go around the effing block.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
First world problem...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll drive as far as I need to in order to turn around, if a three point turn is not an option (traffic, etc.).

I respect other people's property and privacy.

If you are mindful of the insignificant and things done/not done when no one is looking, it makes it easier to stay the course on the big and weight things that are very important.

My philosophy.

quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
First world problem...

...and why I think we are troubled with such First World Problems.

I'll keep my "FWP" over the shithole problems, every day of the week.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have done it and will likely do it again, but only when necessary. Sometimes there is no other reasonable option.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Our driveway is 200’ long; if you can’t turn around within the first 15’ before you cross the horsefence line, then stay off of my property.

During one icy winter, I had one idiot drive the the entire length of my snow-covered driveway and attempt to turn around, but the dumb bitch slide off sideways (half-on/half-off) blocking access to my house. Had to have 2 wreckers come to get her out, as the first wrecker slide off too. I didn’t discover this disaster until after I got home from work. Couldn’t enter my own driveway for 8 hours as they tried to figure out how to extricate themselves from the mess they had created.

Pissed off! The heat that I displayed to these fools could have melted the entire 200’ length of my snow and ice covered driveway. Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
First world problem...
No kidding, especially evident by the amount of time people spend even thinking about it. Really?

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post