SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shoplifters busted by police
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoplifters busted by police Login/Join 
posted
Here is the link with video. You can see the anticipation on the face of one of the cops.

http://www.king5.com/article/n...rested/281-529409139

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
aint that robbery???

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robbery is the taking of property by force. This is only a theft.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Robbery is the taking of property by force. This is only a theft.

Bingo.

(People commonly use the term "robbery" when they really mean "theft", or even "burglary".)

Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
aint that robbery???

Not in Washington, no force was used.
If they had pushed and hit loss prevention on the way out then it would change to a robbery.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's an easy way to turn a misdemeanor theft into a felony robbery. See it all the time.

For example: Dumbass decides to shoplift something cheap, like an energy drink worth $2. (Misdemeanor Theft) Clerk/manager/loss prevention steps in front of them to stop them from leaving. Dumbass shoves/pushes past the employee to get out the door. (Felony Robbery)

Congratulations, Dumbass. You just committed a felony over a $2 energy drink.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
But they dropped the TV’s, probably ruining them. Doesn’t that up the charges due to the dollar value of the theft. Come to think of it, isn’t that question already covered in Shawshank Redemption?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
But they dropped the TV’s, probably ruining them. Doesn’t that up the charges due to the dollar value of the theft.

No. The severity of the theft offense is determined by the value of the merchandise that was stolen (or attempted to be stolen). Whether the TV is recovered unscathed or is damaged in the process, it's still charged based on the value of the TV.

However, it does play a part when it comes to restitution.

When merchandise is recovered unscathed, the perp typically doesn't owe restitution to the store, since the item can still be sold. The store's not out the value of the item, so the perp isn't required to pay them back for the item.

But if the TV is damaged, opened, unrecovered, or otherwise unable to be sold for its full value, the store may go after the perp for restitution for the value of the TV, either in the criminal case or through a civil case.

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
aint that robbery???

According to this article, yes.

The two females were charged with theft and the male was charged with robbery (I’m guessing because he had a knife).

“The man was booked into King County jail for investigation of robbery and the two women were booked for investigation of theft.”

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Book 'em, Danno."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:...You can see the anticipation on the face of one of the cops. ...

Bet he was a K-9 in a prior life. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Too bad there's no acceptable treatment to ensure 0% recidivism for these kinds of cases.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:...You can see the anticipation on the face of one of the cops. ...

Bet he was a K-9 in a prior life. Big Grin

There were a couple of whimpers before he charged. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love a happy ending. No officers injured.

A real and true happy ending would be these 3 miscreants turn their lives around and never do anything untoward again.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Oh, man - that's awesome. I love having officers waiting to help with an apprehension.

The only thing better than that is having an officer help in the store, too - One call I made during a theft one time (I called ahead like Costco must've done here as well) I had an undercover narcotics officer who used to be in loss prevention respond and start helping me follow the subjects in the store (it's not theft til they leave the store here in Utah, so we had to wait til she left with the stuff) - turned into a pretty big narcotics bust for him, too. Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a trick I used when arresting shoplifters. Rather than just taking them out the loss prevention office and tossing them into the patrol car, I had them point out their car to me.
Which was full of stolen stuff from other stores. Misdemeanor into felony!
If they refuse to ID their car, I could often find it on the surveillance camera. Recovered stolen cars and dope too.
Could not find the car on the cam? Come back after closing and whatever is left on the now deserted lot is your escape vehicle.
And organized, multiple person shoplifter teams can really hurt a business.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Too bad there's no acceptable treatment to ensure 0% recidivism for these kinds of cases.

Acceptable to whom ? Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I had a trick I used when arresting shoplifters. Rather than just taking them out the loss prevention office and tossing them into the patrol car, I had them point out their car to me.
Which was full of stolen stuff from other stores. Misdemeanor into felony!
If they refuse to ID their car, I could often find it on the surveillance camera. Recovered stolen cars and dope too.
Could not find the car on the cam? Come back after closing and whatever is left on the now deserted lot is your escape vehicle.
And organized, multiple person shoplifter teams can really hurt a business.

I used to do the same thing...show a magistrate a car full of stolen stuff-even if it's not from your jurisdiction and you get a bond that will hold them until their court date(#crimeratereduction)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post