SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Collagen rich soup recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collagen rich soup recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I'll try ox tails next. Ox tails are good but a little harder to find - some times the store carries them, sometimes not....

We had to do some searching around here to find them. A local chain butcher shop would special order them, but wanted about $10/pound and would only sell it by the case. Found a smaller mom and pop butcher shop reasonably close that keeps them in stock and was priced at $3.99/pound.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll try ox tails next. Ox tails are good but a little harder to find - some times the store carries them, sometimes not.... I like ox tail soup with salt, a little sesame oil, sesame seed and diced scallions. With fresh rice....

Try looking for a Mexican or Asian market. Just about all Mexican markets with a butcher should have them.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
Wife just made oxtail soup. The best.

Recipe?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ox tails are good but a little harder to find - some times the store carries them, sometimes not....

Costco sells them in a twin-pack. Perfect for soups, broths and stews.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
starts with olive oil sauteed chopped onions and garlic, add oxtails and water. she boils them, then replaces the water with fresh, reboil - this is done 4-5 times. adds star anise, salt, pepper and slow boil for awhile. cabbage (from close to the core) and some carrots are only added when it's the meat and soup is ready, otherwise they overcook. so carrots are added 5 minutes prior to serving, cabbage maybe 3 minutes. she didn't have any cilantro - but that should be in there. this last batch was started late morning and was done by early afternoon. so good - i told her to keep all of the fat as some trim this off. just had some for breakfast (thirds). water was added for seconds and this time also. soup was still good. seconds was the best.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or is anyone else creeped out or repulsed by the term "bone broth"?

It's like saying "Sinew Sauce" or "Toenail juice" to me. Confused

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
re: oxtail soup
found out we don't have star anise (spice) and she used anise seeds. don't forget chopped ginger with soy to dribble over the meat with every spoonful. just had some for breakfast.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Ox tails.

Another vote for oxtail. My fave San Diego restaurant, Kaiserhof, offers oxtail soup from time to time, and it’s delicious.

www.google.com/amp/s/thetakeou...xtail-1829317543/amp

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oxtail! Simmer for 6 to 8 hours and the meat will fall off the bone. Refrigerate the leftovers and the soup will be like jello-not a liquid. Add a can of tomato sauce, grated onion and beef base to the water and tails. Try a bag of frozen vegetables at the last hour. It was a favorite meal of my four children since they were toddlers. We called it beef vegetable- they called it red soup. And try the meat with a small smear of yellow mustard.

Posts: 104 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is it just me or is anyone else creeped out or repulsed by the term "bone broth"?

It's like saying "Sinew Sauce" or "Toenail juice" to me. Confused

Bone broth will save your joints as you get older. Do you need a hip or knee surgery??...when bone broth is a lot easier and pain free except for your wallet. Big Grin Dr Axe's bone broth is the best with all three beef, chicken and fish broth and so easy to add a scoop to your daily meals. Long live bone broth. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post