SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A policy question for LEOs with TASERs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A policy question for LEOs with TASERs Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Seeing that epic faceplant in the other thread prompted this.

Question:
Does your agency (or you personally) have a policy pertaining to using a TASER to stop an arrestee who is running away to avoid apprehension?

Choices:
Always prohibited.
Okay if it’s a serious crime.
Okay if there’s no risk of causing serious injury.
Always permitted.
No policy.
Other.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
NJ policy under the AG Guidelines as far as Escape..

quote:
the device may only be used when it is reasonably
necessary to temporarily incapacitate a physically combative person in order to
prevent the person from causing death or serious bodily injury to him/herself, the
officer, or another person, or to prevent the escape of a violent offender.

https://www.nj.gov/oag/dcj/agg...d-Energy-Devices.pdf

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We can use to subdue someone actively resisting compliance or arrest on up.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
We can use to subdue someone actively resisting compliance or arrest on up.

I’m not clear what you mean. Does that include someone who is running away, as in that other thread? Using a TASER against someone who is resisting is obviously what they were designed for, but that isn’t what I’m asking about.

And thanks, rscalzo; that policy is what I had in mind about someone being arrested for a serious crime.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours goes as low as someone spitting on you.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marcushoss:
Ours goes as low as someone spitting on you.

If they are running away?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
We cannot tase someone just for running. Say a driver runs from a traffic stop or a shoplifter sees a police car and takes off- not enough to use the Taser. If there is something else like running from a domestic assault or has a warrant for a violent offense then that is justifiable. Short answer: Taser for someone just running away is not justified.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Suppose it would depend on why they are running. Just running away from a stop and frisk? Nope. Traffic stop and they bail and run? Probably nope. Minor offense? Again, probably nope. Fleeing combative subject? Yep. Fleeing felon? Absolutely.

Whether they fall on their face from the TASER, get tackled, or just trip over their own two feet, it wouldn't happen if they complied with the lawful order to halt.

Our policy puts the TASER pretty much the same level as OC on the force continuum. It can be used upon a threatening act by the suspect, to prevent escape (herein is the vague area you ask about), and to prevent injury to the suspect (self inflicted, TASER is an option on mental patients who are inflicting self harm for example.)

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our policy authorizes Taser at the "assaultive behavior" level. Flight alone, absent other behavior that reaches the level of "assaultive" does not cut it. The use most also meet the constitutional standard of objective reasonableness.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You can not tase for mere flight.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You can not tase for mere flight.

Not even if it makes really good video? Darn! Smile

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When we first got them (2009ish) it was OK for whatever....including running away...

then, "That Guy" F'd up and tasered someone in handcuffs who was trying "to run away" ( running his mouth) when he got out at the Magistrate's office...now, had the suspect been cuffed in the back (per policy-and remember, policies are there for a reason) and not trying to dance around just outside of the patrol car, suspect would not have caught TWO five second trips on the Taser....

it was only after the Magistrate called the Sgt's after seeing it on CCTV outside his office that it came up...

then the policy came out about not using it on people running away.....

so, the takeaway is, don't be that guy.

(ps: I'm retired, and this infraction was not his only foray into stupidity that affects every cop today, last I heard was he popped someone recently-luckily I threw him out of my car after a few hours and turned him over to the sgt, so my name is not in his training book)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
No taser for running. Taser for resistance

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
"Active Aggression" here. Of course, the policy has a catch-all that broadens the scope, but that catch-all is up to the interpretation of whatever deputy chief is evaluating your case...not many test the theory. The taser falls above everything except lethal force at my agency. But we did kill two with Tasers a few years ago and that got quite a bit of attention.

Simply running, no. Running after punching you in the mouth, yes.

We have nearly 2,000 officers, but less than 100 tasings a year. I tased 10 at my old agency, all within a similar policy. Most of them were lethal force situations but the Taser saved their life. Back when police could be police. Frown

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
We can't tase em for fun.
We can't tase if they run.
sigh, being a cop used to be fun.

We can't tase if they are up high
or if they would fall from the sky.
If we do we will defy,
policy written for cops to comply.

The boss will yell,
and time will tell,
if we get sued because he fell.

Get rid of the taser they used to be swell.
if you're fool enough to use it remember,
the paperwork is hell.

Sorry, just read the gf's kids Dr. Seuss.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
gw3971 -- How about some haiku?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Yes. It falls under active resistance according to policy.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
We fall under the 4th Circuit's Decision.

4th Circuit https://www.policeone.com/poli...essive-use-of-force/

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
We fall under the 4th Circuit's Decision.

Thanks for that link. I believe I had read it before, but it was a good reminder. Not that anyone would care what I think, but I would have agreed with that court's rulings (based on the limited information available, of course).

6.4/93.6

— Plato

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
gw3971 -- How about some haiku?

An order to stop.
The Suspect clinches his fist.
Lightning, no thunder.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post