SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Living Bacteria "From Outer Space" Have Been Found on The Outside of The ISS
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living Bacteria "From Outer Space" Have Been Found on The Outside of The ISS Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
Living Bacteria "From Outer Space" Have Been Found on The Outside of The ISS

But don't get too excited about aliens.

PETER DOCKRILL 29 NOV 2017

Scientists on board the International Space Station (ISS) have discovered living bacteria clinging to the orbital facility's external surface, according to a prominent Russian cosmonaut.

Anton Shkaplerov, who will return to the ISS next month, says cotton swabs wiped over the exterior of the station's Russian segment revealed an unidentified life-form that has already been sent back to Earth for scientific analysis.

"[I]t turns out that somehow these swabs reveal bacteria that were absent during the launch of the ISS module," Shkaplerov told Russian news agency TASS.

"That is, they have come from outer space and settled along the external surface. They are being studied so far and it seems that they pose no danger."

According to Shkaplerov, the samples were taken during extravehicular activity, probing obscure areas around the ISS exterior and places where fuel waste accumulates from discharge of the station's engines.

What makes the discovery potentially exciting is that at present we've been given no explanation for just how the organisms got there – nor what exactly they are.

Given the ambiguous nature of Shkaplerov's comments, many media observers are speculating this could be the first known "proof of alien life".

But before we get over-excited here, there are some good reasons to think the bacteria probably aren't extraterrestrial visitors.

This is not the first time Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, has claimed to have found evidence of microbes on the outside of the ISS - but all former discoveries ended up having an earthly origin.

Earlier in the year, Russian cosmonauts detailed the findings of an extensive experiment lasting between 2010 and 2016, in which swabs were taken from outside the ISS and later analysed.

The samples revealed a number of different microorganisms, including a kind of bacterial sea plankton and a type of soil microbe usually found on the island of Madagascar.

As for how these land- and sea-dwelling organisms find their way into space and end up hitchhiking a ride on the ISS, Russian researchers have suggested the voyage could be made via ionosphere lift – in which rising air currents transport matter to the upper reaches of Earth's atmosphere.

Of course, another hypothesis is that the ISS exterior just got contaminated somehow from people, equipment, or crafts launched from Earth to the station.

This wouldn't be too surprising, given the station is said to be riddled with germs and microbe colonies due to all the different astronauts and cosmonauts that have lived within the facility over the years.

Figuring out how stowaway bacteria like this handles life in space is an important area of research – given the implications for future human exploration of the Solar System – and especially since we already know at least some kinds of dangerous bugs actually seem to thrive in microgravity.

Until further analysis of the new bacteria found on the ISS is complete, we won't know what it is, and won't be able to hypothesise on how it got there.

But given these things is already here on Earth and being tested, we're likely to get our answers soon. Stay tuned.

https://www.sciencealert.com/l...ual=yes&limitstart=1

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
".......an unidentified life-form that has already been sent back to Earth for scientific analysis."

Fantastic idea Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Yeah, like it's not the Andromeda Strain.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Just wait until it conjugates with da 'bola !!!

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16510 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Was it found on the North side of the ISS? It could be moss.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no thanks, I saw this Movie Documentary the other day:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

I think a sequel could be pretty cool with the right director, though.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Ever seen a Ruskie crapper? Those things grow all kinds of stuff. Not as bad as the ladies room down t' the Citgo, but close.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Ever seen a Ruskie crapper?

No, but I understand they don’t use it without a plan.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

-Rob

Well played.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

Well played.
Nicely done!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

-Rob

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I was slow on the uptake tonight, forgive me. Well played, sir.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I think this is the way it started in several of my Zombie Apocalypse books..........I'll be in my bunker getting ready......I mean conducting an inventory. Wink

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
That's why your momma told you to always wash your hands real good. Momma knew about that kind of stuff.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No but I have a story about an East German one! ;-D. LOL

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The outside of the ISS is most likely similar to the inside of a Russian hospital. And I've been in many.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Oh it probably is some weird cootie that fell out of Yarchin's beard.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post