SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remember Sand Creek, if only for a day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember Sand Creek, if only for a day Login/Join 
posted
https://www-history-com.cdn.am...Fsand-creek-massacre

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, virtually every treaty was broken by the white man.

And the land "guaranteed" to the Indians under treaty, was pretty much taken back, much of it by force.

My family is reputed to have some Nez Perce blood.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
AFAIK, virtually every treaty was broken by the white man.

I'd bet that every one of those treaties were broken.... Frown

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I just wonder when the few remaining Native Americans are going to ask for their reparations....

I suspect they are just waiting for the powers coming into be of the government to accept the current request for reparations for African Americans and then they will point out they should by any logic be first on the list.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted November 30, 2020 04:49 AM Hide Post
I just wonder when the few remaining Native Americans are going to ask for their reparations...

The last 25 generations of deaf ears have ignored any semblance of their existence, on the subject of moral ethical and financial responsibility .

Most refuse to acknowledge culpability

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Seems we can’t trust the white man.”Josey Wales.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
We shouldnt combine the treaties with the massacre. The treaties and their enforcement is a very complicated and there were violations on both sides for different reasons. Massacres are just that and can have no justification/defense.

The treaties were broken, by both sides. Chief Black Kettle didnt represented all parties and they were very decentralized. As such there are violations by both sides. The 'white man' had trouble understanding this problem or how to deal with it. This was complicated and exacerbated by Miners, Settlers, et al moving into the area not understanding / ignoring the treaty arrangements. (On a personal note, I blame Andrew Jackson for this attitude. F him for all time for what he did to the Cherokee in North Georgia.)
Folk discuss and debate and quarterback this breakdown to this day and will for hundreds of years.

The massacre was just that, it was evil, unprovoked and just evil. These were mostly women and children and it was slaughter, there can be no other interpretation. Chivington and his officer corp should have been publicly executed.

Chief Black Kettle continued his peace efforts.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Belief in Manifest Destiny ruled the day.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post