SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the proper slump for grits?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the proper slump for grits? Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
Is there an industry standard?

I prepare mine to be slightly looser than mashed potatoes. They spread to about an 1 1/2” thickness given time. When I order them out they are Served in a bowl and about the consistency of red eye gravy. I’d guess they’ll settle at about 1/2”.

No, I don’t put sugar and milk on them despite my location.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Slump right out of the bowl and into the bucket for chicken food for me. Razz

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I sure don't like them thick and lumpy...I don't like them thin and runny...
I like them to be just right...when you spoon them onto the plate you can make a little crater in the top to put your butter where it can melt to form a little butter lava pool to be mixed into a volcano of grits goodness Razz...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Okay, I admit to not being a grits aficionado and to having been raised up north. But I never have heard the term "slump" used like this. Is this a southern thing?

Reminds me of that recent thread about a toboggan being a wool stocking cap for southerners and not a winter flat bottom sled. Gesh. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Yer off ta Christmas card list!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
"How do you cook your grits...regular, creamy or al dente?"...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_T24lHnB7N8

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:

HA! That there is funny.....and I'm in the same boat with ya. Despite growning up in TX, where they're fairly popular, I never developed a taste for them.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Had grits for breakfast this morning!

So, my answer is when your utensil is full of grits, they don't slide off, is perfect!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I like them soupy, eaten not so much to fill up as for the warmth. Plenty of butter if it is a butter month.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
"How do you cook your grits...regular, creamy or al dente?"...

Thanks Bisley. Saved me the time looking for it. Smile
Was the first thing to come to mind.

The number of times that I’ve had grits can be counted on one hand...probably even on the hand of an average saw mill employee. Couldn’t tell you the proper viscosity.
They were tasty, but I just stick to spuds instead.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little “slumpier” than mashed taters.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer my grits more like "loose mashed potatoes" so that they will stay put on my plate waiting for those over easy eggs to be put on top!!!! YUM

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Had grits for breakfast this morning!

So, my answer is when your utensil is full of grits, they don't slide off, is perfect!

Fork, but juuuust barely!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I prefer mine on the thicker side. Put some on a spoon and they'll hang on a bit if you turn it over, but fall off in a second or two. I don't want peanut butter consistency, but I don't want chicken soup either. I like different toppings/additions. Butter is always good, but like cheese as well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slump is a term for concrete

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:

Yer off ta Christmas card list!

Nooooooooo...not the CHRISTMAS CARD LIST! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I order them out

It's pretty rare to find a place that does them right, especially if it's chain.

Should be a lot like Polenta, which it pretty much nearly is.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I've eaten grits all my life; good grits, so-so grits and awful grits. Our local Pensacola grits emporium, The Coffee Cup , has the slogan "No Grits, No Glory" but their grits have gone downhill in my opinion. A few years ago, I found grits nirvana: Palmetto Farms. Expensive for one bag, but worth it for grits paradise. Follow the recipe on the bag for the best grits you ever had. I have tried cooking other stone ground grits, but haven't found anything near as good. I can post the Pensacola Country Club recipe for Shrimp & Grits, if you wish.

Edit: I like mine a little on the thick side so the butter pat lubes it to just right.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cne32507,

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Slump is a term for concrete

Hehe, a 3" slump is good...

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where is a grits slump cone sold? Maybe I can use one for concrete, I'll need more grits.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post