SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the proper slump for grits?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the proper slump for grits? Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
What I do is...

One cup of (non-instant) grits to 4-5 cups of chicken broth. That is the beginning of shrimp and grits...

Oh child. Do not "dump" the grits in the boiling broth...sprinkle them in.

CW

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
shrimp and grits
The only preparation that results in me eating more than one bit of grits.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grits alone are good. But as a base for shrimp, bacon and cheese = Wow.
I enjoy grits with a spoonful of gravy on top as well.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I throw them up against the refrigerator and see if they stick.

Posts: 985 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
7.5 @ 25 degrees C

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Well it would appear I like mine a bit stiffer than than industry norms.

Shrimps and grits are impossible for me to pass up. Strange as neither one are that high on my preferred foods list, sum of the parts is so much higher though.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Well, Bisley, I do like mine thick & lumpy...at the beginning. That is where butter shows its true purpose in life.
I tend to use a copious amount of butter to soften the grits, and use a bit of salt to flavor.

And this is why, at the age of 58, I do not eat grits that often anymore. I'm afraid I'll stroke out. Eek
But I truly love grits.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Slightly stiffer than mashed potatoes with a bit of sharp cheddar cheese, butter, and a touch of garlic powder. Serve with either a sunny side up egg so the yolk runs into them or over soft (still a little runny) scrambled eggs.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stiff enough fur the spoon to stand straight up, add a small pat of butter. When melted, stir. Now the slump is just right.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I know what a grit is, in principal but having read through the entire thread before I responded, I need some guidance first:

What is "Slump"?
What is Red-eyed gravy"
What the hell is "loose mashed potatoes"?
Ok, so "slump" is a term for concrete. Is that the amount of gravel or what?
grits + chicken broth for shrimp & grits AND don't dump but sprinkle. Ok but how does this impact the "Slump"? Slumping?
Who the heck eats "stiff" mashed potatoes?

I'm so confused!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You’re a Yankee, aren’t you. Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I like my grits with about the same consistency as mortar. Plain grits with salt, pepper, and plenty of butter is my favorite, but adding cheese, bacon, and shrimp/scallops don't do no harm.

Grits is a Southern thang. At breakfast in the Army, the damnyankees would put their cigarettes out in the grits on their plates.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I've eaten grits all my life; good grits, so-so grits and awful grits. Our local Pensacola grits emporium, The Coffee Cup , has the slogan "No Grits, No Glory" but their grits have gone downhill in my opinion. A few years ago, I found grits nirvana: Palmetto Farms. Expensive for one bag, but worth it for grits paradise. Follow the recipe on the bag for the best grits you ever had. I have tried cooking other stone ground grits, but haven't found anything near as good. I can post the Pensacola Country Club recipe for Shrimp & Grits, if you wish.

Edit: I like mine a little on the thick side so the butter pat lubes it to just right.

how close are you to Tallahassee?

guy in that area runs a farm that does heirloom corn, and does cornmeal, and grits, from it,

they are fantastic!!!

he has started smoking some grits (unsure what wood is used ) for the local foodie places,

the smoked grits are supposedly devine, but I have not tried them yet

http://www.bumpyroadfarm.org/

by the way,

grits are cooked till they are the way you like them,
served with butter and pepper,
or cheese,

or whatever you like,

if you are taking the time to measure 'slump', you are wasting time you could be eating them Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
What is "Slump"?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
Stiff enough fur the spoon to stand straight up, add a small pat of butter. When melted, stir. Now the slump is just right.

Perfect. I love Grits (Georgia Ice Cream).

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my grits to run slightly but yet are firm. It is hard to describe, but any grits are better than no grits.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Good thickness grits are grits that will, if in a bowl about 2.5" deep or so, hold one of those cheap diner forks upright when released for at least a 5 second stint. This is just before adding in salt and butter to taste (which is a lot!).

If you have to eat your grits with a spoon, you did it wrong. If your grits seep between the teeth of the fork, you did it wrong. If you spill your grits and have to move the paper outta the way that's lying there 6" away, you did it wrong. If you put sugar in your grits, please step to the front of the "Shoot me please" line and sign right up. You should be able to use a trowel and build a wall with it, a delicious wall o' grits...

That is all.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I believe I'm a "damned yankee". Big Grin

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

I believe I'm a "damned yankee". Big Grin

Let's see:

Yankee Y or N?: Y

Abode is in the South Y or N?: Y

Check, you're a Damned Yankee. Congrats. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post