SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trip to Tejas...suggestions?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip to Tejas...suggestions? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
The wimminfolk are planning a Texas trip next spring late summer (Sept). Sounds like San Antonio, Austin, and Waco. They are mentioning things like Riverwalk, Alamo, some caverns, 6 flags, and Schlitterhahn.

Any suggestions on what I should try to convince them to do in or around the above areas? Any cool manly adventures around that way? I don't really understand their desire to go to Texas, versus anywhere else in the country, but the wife says we're going, so I'm in.

I think I'd like to do something out-doorsy. 4 wheeling? Helicopter hog shoot? Spectacular hiking? I don't know what's out there, and I'm seeking advice before blindly googling.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Brisket. Lots of it, or a little of it at every available stop that's not a chain. Act like a pro and ask for it cut from exactly what part/type of the brisket you want. My choice is wet and barky, and usually gets a high-five from the guy holding the knife.

It will change your life and damn sure make the trip worthwhile.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Brisket. Lots of it, or a little of it at every available stop that's not a chain.

It will change your life and damn sure make the trip worthwhile.

My language. You speaketh it. Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trip to Tejas...suggestions?
You should be able to see most of it in a day or so. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well, its kind of a big place . . . .

Pay particular attention to that sign when you cross over from Louisiana. It will give you an idea.

I second the thought on brisket. It's the national dish of Texas.

Have fun.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I was in San Antonio for 10 days at the end of June. I would recommend the JW Marriott, but it ain't cheap. Lucky for me work paid for 5 days or so.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...080051624#9080051624

Alamo takes about 60 minutes to see. I would skip Sea World. It wasn't worth it for how expensive it was, IMO.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Texas has a lot to do, most of which is available in many other places.

The food, however, is sometimes unique and can be amazing.

A BBQ/Chili/Mexican/Tex-Mex Food Tour would be unique, fruitful, and plentiful.

quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Well, its kind of a big place . . . .

Pay particular attention to that sign when you cross over from Louisiana. It will give you an idea.

I second the thought on brisket. It's the national dish of Texas.

Have fun.

RMD

No sign is necessary, the change in road conditions is usually a dead giveaway.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Trip to Tejas...suggestions?
You should be able to see most of it in a day or so. Wink

Ohhh...we've got some wiseguys.

Wink

I'll probably be hitchiking on my own after the third day when my wife kicks me out of the car lol

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
A float down the Guadeloupe River? Not sure what it’s like in the spring though vs summer. Spring break time would stink.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
Since brisket has already been mentioned, as well as the Alamo, one manly suggestion would be a trip to Fredricksburg, home of Chester Nimitz and
National Museum of the Pacific War

It's not very big, but I enjoyed my visit there.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Waco

What on Earth for?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
A float down the Guadeloupe River? Not sure what it’s like in the spring though vs summer. Spring break time would stink.

Evidently I was selectively listening when I was told about all of this. It's an early Sept trip. I just changed it in the OP.

-JALLEN

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Waco

What on Earth for?

Damned if I know. The wife's sister is planning the itinerary at the moment. But I see Waco has the Texas Ranger hall of fame. Doesn't get much manlier than that.

You guys are for some reason thinking I have some input in this thing lol.

-JALLEN

posted Hide Post
The Dr. Pepper museum of course. Don't forget the Dr. Pepper float with extra syrup.

quote:
quote:
Waco

What on Earth for?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your going to do the river float, you will be close to The Gristmill restaurant. This place has some of the best down home cooking you’ll ever have. The chicken fried steak is some of the best you’ll ever put in your mouth. Great little area around it for tHe women folk to spend some money while your in food coma.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
quote:
Waco

What on Earth for?

Damned if I know. The wife's sister is planning the itinerary at the moment. But I see Waco has the Texas Ranger hall of fame. Doesn't get much manlier than that.

You guys are for some reason thinking I have some input in this thing lol.

Probably to go shop at that Magnolia home decor store. All the ladies are nuts for that place. Heard it was kind of a let down though. Will have to take their word for it. Not enough money to get me anywhere near.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
The float down the Guadalupe river is a good one. It's a rite of passage for Texans of all ages. You can stay in New Braunfels or Gruene, and they offer shuttles to pick you up and take you where you need to go to get in and out of the river. Rent a tube with a "bottom" (plywood) and another tube for your ice chest, then use a long bungee cord to keep it nearby. It will follow you wherever you go, and won't "jerk" you or "spin" you like a rope tightening up and slacking.
Favorite spots to tube on the Guadalupe are "the Chute", Hueco springs for the rapids, and the horseshoe. (But there are lots of cool places with small rapids and waterfalls0. Safe for kids, as long as they can swim. In most places the water is not very deep, often times waist deep or less. (Unless you are in fast-moving rapids.) There are tons of places that cater to the tubing crowd that have websites with all the info you'll need.

The Texas Ranger and Texas Sports museums in Waco are cool. The Schlitterbahn water park is fun, but like all amusement parks, there are lines and crowds. I hate crowds.

If you go to Fredricksburg, which is a very fun town, and you enjoy hiking, then check out Enchanted Rock. A quick google will tell you all you need to know.

If you like Music, then the 6th street area of Austin is claimed to be the "live music capital of the world".

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Waco
What on Earth for?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
San Antonio
Alamo
River walk
Institute of Texan Cultures

New Braunfels
Schlitterbahn (water park and place to stay in New Braunfels)
Gruene
Canyon Lake

Hill Country
LBJ Ranch
Wimberley

Austin
Capitol
LBJ Library
Salt Lick (actually in Driftwood, southwest of Austin)

As you mention the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco.

There are hundreds of barbecue joints, mostly decent, a few terrific. Franklins, the usual top choice, is closed last I heard, after the fire awhile back.

Snow’s, in Lexington, is the new cult favorite. It is east of Austin, only open Saturday morning, 9 to run out. My nephew brought some to our family gathering this last weekend and it is was real good. Some like Rudy’s a chain, and some like Cooper’s from Llano area, but I don’t particularly. These are too hot for me, not flavorful but hot. I liked Salt Lick last time I was there.

Schlitterbahn will be crowded before school starts, less so afterwards. You can book rooms there, a central location for activities in all directions. I wish I had thought of this one back in the ‘70’s.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If I was under any kind of time constraint (like a vacation), I'd avoid Austin, which has become somewhat famous for traffic gridlock. It was a great place back in the 1970s and 80s but the population has severely outstripped the infrastructure.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post