SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Aging A Return To Simpler And Happier Times?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Aging A Return To Simpler And Happier Times? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have found that simplifying your life is really complicated. Having moved several times in the last 10-15 years, we have storage units in two different places, filled not only with our own stuff, but with our parents' and kids' stuff as well. The kids don't have a place for it; my wife hates throwing their things away.
Today I'm going back to the storage unit here in SD to organize it.
I've sent e-mails to the kids with their boxes noted.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
That sounds good Jim, I'm guessing they've got a little bite to them. I assume you brine them overnight (or so) and then dry them off prior to smoking/drying?

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I leave the fish in the brine overnight, 10-12 hours.

While I'm preparing the grill or smoker I'll rinse the fish in cold water and pat dry, let it sit on paper towels for about 1 1/2 hours till they get a nice glaze and pat dry again.

Actually Gus, they don't have as much bite as you might think. The Thai Sweet Chile sauce is mild, but really added to the over all flavor. Because of the Soy sauce and Worchester are salty I thought the fish came out a little saltier than usual, but everybody that has tasted it disagrees, so there you go. Everybody's taste is different.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is Aging A Return To Simpler And Happier Times?

I retired at 59.5 years of age and this year is my 70th.

The relief from the hassles of the workplace was very much welcome and as such marked an uptick in happiness. But as the old adage proclaims your family and health are the most important things in later life. I loved touring the US in a sports car on the less traveled two lane hiways. Saw a lot, met great folks, and enjoyed local eateries. But alas health issues have intervened and such pursuits are no longer possible. So simpler...yes. Happier...yes. Healthier...nope. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who is not yet 60 but he summed it up pretty good when he said "the older I get the less I need". That's how it's working for me. Downsizing my "stuff". A nice evening on the deck with a drink and a cigar shared with people I love is on my short list of how to have a good evening.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
My wife and I have found that simplifying your life is really complicated. Having moved several times in the last 10-15 years, we have storage units in two different places, filled not only with our own stuff, but with our parents' and kids' stuff as well. The kids don't have a place for it; my wife hates throwing their things away.
Today I'm going back to the storage unit here in SD to organize it.
I've sent e-mails to the kids with their boxes noted.

It's one of the Eternal Enigmas.

It costs more to do things cheaply.

It takes longer to do things faster.

It is more complicated to do things simply.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I have a friend who is not yet 60 but he summed it up pretty good when he said "the older I get the less I need". That's how it's working for me. Downsizing my "stuff". A nice evening on the deck with a drink and a cigar shared with people I love is on my short list of how to have a good evening.

Well put and very true. At least in my case. One thing I've learned over the years, is to not clutter your mind up with things you have no control over and to quickly get over the little things and just move on.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While still in my 50's the wife and I made a huge change in the last year. We decided to move west to free America from New York and couldn't be happier. While life is still a it more complicated than we would like ( both medical professionals with all the attendant continuing education work and to a degree stress) we divested ourselves of much of our "stuff" prior to moving and have replaced what households goods required at a minimum. As time goes on we hope to thin things out even more. I could see selling or gifting 3/4 of my gun collection without remorse. I shoot very often ( at least once a week) but have settled down to probably needing only 8-10 guns to do all the shooting and carrying I would need to ever do.
I have come to the same conclusion about hunting just no desire for it like I had in the past.
The two years prior to moving I attended funerals for 6 people all who died prior to age 55. That was the last voice screaming at me to do what I want now don't wait!

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
As an example, the other day I smoked some Salmon fillets and tried a different brine recipe and smoking method on the Weber kettle. Everyone that has tried it has said it is the best I have ever done and I have smoked, probably hundreds of pounds of fish over the years. A little thing indeed, but it's put a big smile on my face.

You know you can't put that out there without sharing the recipe, right? Wink

With regard to the OP and previous posters, I'm only 52 (still just a kid) but I've gotten the same way with hunting/killing. While there is still few things I enjoy more than getting out in the woods in the fall, I've passed up more critters than I can ever remember. Part of it is that I don't have the energy or desire to drag them darned things out anymore, and part of it is it has gotten tougher to take the lives...at least for non-vermin type game. It's part of the reason that I've mostly stopped bow hunting. I've hunted with a bow since the late 70s and never had a problem sticking deer/elk, but of late, I've come to realize that it is just not humane (IMO) nor a quick death. I don't care for that. I'd certainly still employ my skills if I needed to, but I don't, so....

But venison is so tasty.

I suspect or rather hope I'll always be OK with taking a deer (or whatever) for their meat, even if only for the backstrap and loins.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
While still in my 50's the wife and I made a huge change in the last year. We decided to move west to free America from New York and couldn't be happier. While life is still a it more complicated than we would like ( both medical professionals with all the attendant continuing education work and to a degree stress) we divested ourselves of much of our "stuff" prior to moving and have replaced what households goods required at a minimum. As time goes on we hope to thin things out even more. I could see selling or gifting 3/4 of my gun collection without remorse. I shoot very often ( at least once a week) but have settled down to probably needing only 8-10 guns to do all the shooting and carrying I would need to ever do.
I have come to the same conclusion about hunting just no desire for it like I had in the past.
The two years prior to moving I attended funerals for 6 people all who died prior to age 55. That was the last voice screaming at me to do what I want now don't wait!

Captain 127: good for you! If we didn't have our kids still in CA, it's likely we'd be moving to AZ. May still do it...just half a day's drive, right?

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:

Captain 127: good for you! If we didn't have our kids still in CA, it's likely we'd be moving to AZ. May still do it...just half a day's drive, right?

Sounds like a great reason to buy something that's really fun to drive.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
What a timely interesting thread.
Hit 75 last month,still more active than ever with gardening and farmers market sales of my Tomatoes.Miss my bee hobby,been messing with that hobby from 1955.
County sprayed and that was like a knife to my soul
Havent hunted in four years,fished in 17 years.
Gave away eight guns last year,fishing equipment two weeks ago.
Sad about my departed wife 18 years ago due to doctor messing up.
I cope and maintain my home and yards.Enjoy life with my four dogs,and lots of support from friends.
Life is good,but sometimes I question why I am still here.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is Aging A Return To Simpler And Happier Times?

Kind of seems that way to me.

Having retired a few years ago, it seems like I'm a kid on summer vacation. Big Grin

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
What a timely interesting thread.
Hit 75 last month,still more active than ever with gardening and farmers market sales of my Tomatoes.Miss my bee hobby,been messing with that hobby from 1955.
County sprayed and that was like a knife to my soul
Havent hunted in four years,fished in 17 years.
Gave away eight guns last year,fishing equipment two weeks ago.
Sad about my departed wife 18 years ago due to doctor messing up.
I cope and maintain my home and yards.Enjoy life with my four dogs,and lots of support from friends.
Life is good,but sometimes I question why I am still here.

You are only 75. You are still here because you have the rest of YOUR life to live.

Get more bees. That spray is long gone. Your fishing stuff was probably old. Go buy some new stuff. What I am suggesting is to retry the things you used to like to do. You loved them for a reason.

You have a lot of life yet to live my friend. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post