SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Aging A Return To Simpler And Happier Times?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Aging A Return To Simpler And Happier Times? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
My Mom lives pretty far away in Florida, at a very nice retirement home with full lifecare. She's approaching a milestone birthday (we are not allowed to celebrate that number). Her husband has deteriorated to a point where he needs assisted living, since a terrible bout of pneumonia in February. To make the trek from one residence to another on this large retirement community, Mom has to walk...or ride. She e-mailed me her excitement about her new full-size tricycle. It's from Walmart, doesn't cost too much, and will replace a rusted out heavy steel tricycle she can't push around anymore.

It flashed into my head that only 75 years ago, she was probably smiling when she anticipated her first tricycle. No doubt while pedaling along the avenues on Long Island, she had a big grin and felt so independent. Today, she has the same feeling. She has a new "toy" if you will, she can use it whenever she wants, and she can get all around the island (sidewalks covering over one mile).

I don't know how I feel, seeing this. I'm happy for her, of course, and glad she is staying active and getting around well. It's hard seeing parents age, though. I remember her as a hard-charging single mom working long hours in real estate, putting us through school with true grit and determination. Now, we're celebrating a new tricycle.

Her life is simpler, and happier, as it was 75 years ago. I hope I can also be happy as I age, and that somehow I can emulate her determination that today drives her to buying that new tricycle so she can get around.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
There is no one size fits all. At least this has been what I have seen as I and my loved ones age. I'm 70 and work my ass off keeping up the farm. Is it simplier? Hell no, but I am plenty happy.

My dad died when he was 87. He had just finished building his fifth home. When I was down there closing up his estate, I could not believe all the projects (dune buggy, even a small airplane) he was also working on. He got jaw cancer and bam, six months later we buried him. He was happy as could be but there was nothing simple about his life.

Shoot, I have a BIL that is 79 and works four days a week stocking shelves during the night shift at our local Walmart. I don't think he is all that happy about it but I don't think I would call his life simple.

I guess you do what you have to do as you age and make the best of your personal situation. Sounds like your mom is happy and that is all that really matters. Good for her.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I'm 65 and I've sensed a change in myself.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i don't know, but she sounds like a wonderful woman and enjoying life. I hope she has many more youthful years ahead to enjoy life and her new ride.
I liked your post and hope you have a great weekend.
Your mother raised a good son.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
What is the truth (or happiness) for one is all that is important.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm 66 (that's not "old", right?) and I do find myself more inclined to get rid of stuff than collect it.

That's a major philosophy shift for a guy that's been a world-class pack rat since forever.

I still have a "Toy Budget" (being nicely enhanced by getting rid of stuff) but my tastes are a bit more discriminating (ie: expensive) than in the past.

I also find I'm much more inclined to write a check than to do physically demanding stuff for myself. Some is just plain laziness, most is a concentrated effort to preserve what's left of my joints.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my brother retired after 33 years with the same out fit, he had 4 1/2 months of r&r,
he still works with habitat for humanity , and now he is going to the pantry for five hours, three days a week,
thursday is a poker game at 1:30.

he takes care of his 4 acre lot.

he is 77 now,
then there are the 4 trips to chicago and nashville to see the grand kids.

I think he is as busy now as he was while working

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
67 is around the corner here shortly and I have surely changed.

I no longer dwell on possessions like I once did. I've given away several guns in the past few years. And it gave me a lot of pleasure to pass them on. Never thought I would be getting rid of them, much less as gifts.

Used to be nuts for hunting. Now I can barely shoot a coyote who is threatening the cats and dog here. I know I can't allow them, but taking their life is tough. Not so ten years back.

I've become more emotional. Situations I could shake off in the past...really get to me now.

Simpler? For sure feeling differently than I ever have.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Mating rituals don't take up as much time and energy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Per OP question. I for 1 certainly hope so

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Mating rituals don't take up as much time and energy.

Big Grin Frown

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
67 is around the corner here shortly and I have surely changed.

I no longer dwell on possessions like I once did. I've given away several guns in the past few years. And it gave me a lot of pleasure to pass them on. Never thought I would be getting rid of them, much less as gifts.

Used to be nuts for hunting. Now I can barely shoot a coyote who is threatening the cats and dog here. I know I can't allow them, but taking their life is tough. Not so ten years back.

I've become more emotional. Situations I could shake off in the past...really get to me now.

Simpler? For sure feeling differently than I ever have.

I'll be 70 in a few months and you nailed my current feelings about my life.

I lived for hunting and fishing for many decades, but I have a very strong aversion to killing anything that isn't a direct threat to me or my family now. I still fish, just not as much as I used to.

I haven't given any guns away yet, but not having any family members that would enjoy or appreciate them I may just start selling them off. There are a handful of them that I still enjoy shooting but a bunch that I don't anymore. Big change for me right there.

Having battled cancer all of 2016 has really changed my outlook on life in general. Hard to describe, so I won't try right now.

It's amazing how little things can give me such great pleasure now. As an example, the other day I smoked some Salmon fillets and tried a different brine recipe and smoking method on the Weber kettle. Everyone that has tried it has said it is the best I have ever done and I have smoked, probably hundreds of pounds of fish over the years. A little thing indeed, but it's put a big smile on my face.

My life has become simpler and easier and I wouldn't change much about it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad is 87 and loves life. He's in an assisted living facility across the parking lot from my mom's nursing home. He rides his scooter to go see her and to take her ice cream every day. He's on oxygen and needs a walker or scooter to get around. But he's always happy and cheerful. He says everyday is a struggle but he finds happiness in the simplest of things.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You finally come to understand all that you strive for comes to naught in the end, thereby teaching the final lesson.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31420 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Happiness as you age is very health dependent. We can talk about all of the wonderful things seniors do (golf, volunteer work, travel etc) but if a retired/aging person is dealing with serious medical issues, it becomes an all consuming fight against those issues and not about actually living. I've seen it all too often.

I'm 74 and although there are a few health things creeping in that will eventually get me, right now I actually feel a lot younger. I think working out at the gym 4 or more days a week helps this a lot.

If you want a graceful aging period, take good care of yourself when you're in mid life. You know all of the things you should or should not do. No guarantees except if you smoke, drink heavily, don't get proper exercise and keep your mind active your chances go down 10 fold.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
As an example, the other day I smoked some Salmon fillets and tried a different brine recipe and smoking method on the Weber kettle. Everyone that has tried it has said it is the best I have ever done and I have smoked, probably hundreds of pounds of fish over the years. A little thing indeed, but it's put a big smile on my face.

You know you can't put that out there without sharing the recipe, right? Wink

With regard to the OP and previous posters, I'm only 52 (still just a kid) but I've gotten the same way with hunting/killing. While there is still few things I enjoy more than getting out in the woods in the fall, I've passed up more critters than I can ever remember. Part of it is that I don't have the energy or desire to drag them darned things out anymore, and part of it is it has gotten tougher to take the lives...at least for non-vermin type game. It's part of the reason that I've mostly stopped bow hunting. I've hunted with a bow since the late 70s and never had a problem sticking deer/elk, but of late, I've come to realize that it is just not humane (IMO) nor a quick death. I don't care for that. I'd certainly still employ my skills if I needed to, but I don't, so....

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
You finally come to understand all that you strive for comes to naught in the end, thereby teaching the final lesson.
Depends on the person, apparently.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gustofer:

You know you can't put that out there without sharing the recipe, right? Wink

Here you go.

I started out with my basic recipe: first 3 items and added the rest.

4 cups water

1/4 cup salt

3/4 cup brown sugar (dark)

3/4 cup Teriyaki marinade

1/4 cup Soy Sauce

1 tbs garlic powder

1 tbs celery salt

2 tbs Worchester sauce

about 4 tbs Thai Sweet Chile sauce

2 shakes of Cajun Sunshine hot pepper sauce

I snaked 2 rows briquettes and blocked them in with 2 bricks. I was able to keep the temp at 190 degrees for 4 hours and it came out perfect.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I'm 68 next month and I long for simpler. Meanwhile, Mother at 92, seems to hang on to the present. I spend a lot of time helping, caring, loving Mother.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That sounds good Jim, I'm guessing they've got a little bite to them. I assume you brine them overnight (or so) and then dry them off prior to smoking/drying?

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post