SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WashPost: "U.S. customs agents are searching more cellphones — including those belonging to Americans"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WashPost: "U.S. customs agents are searching more cellphones — including those belonging to Americans" Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
except I'm guessing that if you refuse they will deny you entry.

It says they cannot deny you entry. So they can suck it. As for what they do with the phone, I wouldn't care since I would have wiped it before I got there and it would be encrypted anyway. Now could I last without a phone for five days? Standing on my head all day, every day. Hell I'd wipe it, declare it lost, and buy a new one. Just because.

Now all of my entrances into the US as a civilian have been excellent. The CBP agents have been great. I show my ID, my passport, they ask a few questions, and I get a "welcome home". So I have no real experience with this. But I wouldn't accept that intrusion at all.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
I complied, nothing to hide and didn't want the hassle, but how is all this legal?

Border search exception

That's interesting. And from the map ASG posted next, I forgot about the Alpine TX one - we were just through there on our way to/from Big Bend and Terlingua.

From your Wikipedia article, it also says:

quote:
Despite federal law allowing certain federal agents to conduct search and seizures within 100 miles of the border into the interior of the United States,[5] the Supreme Court has clearly and repeatedly confirmed that the border search exception applies only at international borders and their functional equivalent (such as international airports).

Still, I'm not gonna risk being detained by being non-compliant.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Thats why you turn off your iPhone before going into customs. sorry don't have the digit code. And since the fingerprint reader doesn't work.

Looks like you will be out of luck.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Sensationalist headlines for a less than meaningful story? A 60% increase= .007% of travelers. Multiple devices per person would lower that even more.

"The agency said it searched 30,200 devices but the inspections affected only 0.007 percent of the 397 million travelers"

Fourth Amendment - U.S. Constitution

quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

This.

Sounds like they just admitted to 30,200 cases of unreasonable search. From Wikipedia, apparently some courts agree and others don't.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And then they seize the phone and send it to their technical department. Maybe you get it back eventually.

quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Thats why you turn off your iPhone before going into customs. sorry don't have the digit code. And since the fingerprint reader doesn't work.

Looks like you will be out of luck.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post