SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for Extended Car Warranty?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for Extended Car Warranty? Login/Join 
Picture of Needabiggersafe
posted
Hi All,

I have a 2013 Volvo C70 that I bought new, its a fun car and I think good looking.

Earlier I had an Extended Warranty and used it once before it ran out at about 80k.
It was an electrical repair and it ended being a wash.

Well now I'm at 105k the car is my daily driver, I do drive it gently but I do enjoy it, I did upgrade to the Pole Star option.

I know that there are a number of companies out there and made the mistake of calling one for a quote a few months ago and they bugged the hell out of me so there not getting my business.

The original company doesn't offer coverage for cars above 100K.

So Who Do We Like for Extended Warranty coverage?

Thanks
Needabiggersafe

Life Member NRA

Posts: 541 | Location: Rockville, MD.USA! | Registered: June 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Haven’t they called you lately?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
Put a few bucks into preventative maintenance and roll the dice. You’ll probably come out ahead. Can’t help you otherwise since Ive only had factory warranties.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 407 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
If it's a factory warranty, you plan to keep the car a while and you can get it close to the dealers cost, depending on the vehicle, it can be worth its weight in gold.

In 2012 I purchased a lifetime full wrap warranty on my then new Jeep Grand Cherokee for around $2,400. Over the past 8 years, FCA has spent (no exaggeration) over $30,000 keeping it running for me. The latest repair? At 178,000 miles, I just picked it up from my local dealer where FCA paid to replace the entire engine under warranty. Dealers charge to do that job is $12,700 but I paid my $100 deductible as always.

So if it's a car with known poor reliability, it can be very well worth it.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy an OEM extended warranty if I plan to keep the vehicle past the normal warranty. It has paid off for me several times.
I would only buy a warranty from the vehicles manufacturer, not from a third party.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
In regards to third party warranties...

As far as I am concerned, most of them are scams and sheisters. I have never and will never pay for an “extended warranty”. Most have ridiculous deductibles, and all sorts of fine print that doesn’t cover much.

I have owned more cars than most people, and every time I have bought one, they try to sell me that turd burger. Not happening.

Google search most of them. They are deniers of most claims and do little to help the guy that purchased the warranty. Also look at many if the different car forums. The word is the same. Save the money.

As far as your car, it had over 100k on the clock. No one will warranty it for anything less than the cost of a miracle. Maybe it’s time to go car shopping?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Used to go with Craftsman but no it's Husky. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBAR15:

In 2012 I purchased a lifetime full wrap warranty on my then new Jeep Grand Cherokee for around $2,400. Over the past 8 years, FCA has spent (no exaggeration) over $30,000 keeping it running for me. The latest repair? At 178,000 miles, I just picked it up from my local dealer where FCA paid to replace the entire engine under warranty. Dealers charge to do that job is $12,700 but I paid my $100 deductible as always.

So if it's a car with known poor reliability, it can be very well worth it.

This is so beautiful, it brings a tear to my eye.

Mrs. Lee's BMWs' warranties have paid HUGE and we're way ahead with them. Be advised, even if it's an aftermarket warranty, if it's sold by the dealer, the dealer will stand by it. They can't afford to have claims denied by a company they endorse. If you can't get it from the manufacturer, at least get it from the dealer. They'll stand behind it.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I never came close to buying an extended warranty, that goes 4-fold for third party sellers.

Yes, keep up with maintenance, roll the dice if you will.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who owns one of the nationally promoted third party warranty companies that are sold through dealers..

He lives on a 100 acre estate, has a private jet with a full time retired US Air pilot at his disposal. His Porsche collection is one of the best I’ve ever seen. To say that the company is extremely profitable would be an understatement.

Unless your car is a known maintenance nightmare I would just use the money to save up for repairs...On average you will come out way ahead.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Only buy an extended warranty through the manufacturer. There are places online to buy them a lot cheaper than from a dealer. Avoid third party warranty companies like the plague.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lovely wife and I have a 2005 Buick Lacrosse which we bought with 29,000 miles on it 13 years ago. It is now our "beater car". We have two other newer nicer vehicles. It now has 150,000 miles on it and the only repair we have had done on it, aside from normal maintenance, was a $525 transmission solenoid. It has certainly been an example of a car that would have been a poor one to purchase an extended warranty on. If the odds on this product were not substantially in the favor of the company offering the policy, they would not be in business. It's just a game of chance and most people who play it will lose just like the people buying lottery tickets.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Only buy an extended warranty through the manufacturer. There are places online to buy them a lot cheaper than from a dealer. Avoid third party warranty companies like the plague.

There are also online dealers who make a business out of selling genuine factory warranties for something like $50 over their cost. Volume gives them some nice income. That's how I bought the factory warranty for my Tacoma. The dealer I purchased the truck from offered a midlevel Toyota warranty for something like $2100. I said no thanks, went to Handy Toyota in VT, online, and got the highest level Platinum warranty Toyota offers, for 8 years, with zero deductible, for $1200 and some change. It does not matter which dealer you buy the genuine Toyota warranty from, it gets entered into their system-wide computer so you can get service at any dealer.

As far as extended warranties after your dealer warranty runs out, I have nothing to offer. My extended factory warranty ran out last year, and I'm playing the pay to fix it gamble rather than search for a third party warranty.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
When reading a policy prior to purchase watch for the statement "like kind and quality" and run away if you see that. Basically it means that the company at their discretion can require the repair facility to utilize parts sourced with similar mileage. And if the repair facility cannot find a used part that meets the warranty company criteria that company will supply one from one of their "approved" sources, in other words Leroy in the claims department calls his buddy Bubba and your 150K mileage vehicle gets a junkyard motor or whatever major component shipped to their door.

Yep, seen all types of "junk" sent by third party warranty companies to us in dealerships. Collision damaged engines and transmissions, parts from abused vehicles Ask your mechanic how happy he will be if or when the replacement engine knocks or burns oil after the car is reassembled, I've seen that more than once. Or the salvage yard is unaware of a VIN number break or design change or just plain does not care and sends the wrong part, seen that too.

Sometimes a ship can plead the case to the warranty company to use a OEM or remanufactured part. When a service writer would come to me and say "This is all the warranty company will buy" my stock reply was "The part they specify is coming off of a car in the scrap yard that is there for a reason other than the radio quit or the carpet is dirty, you wanna gamble on that?"

While there is a lot of debate on the value of these warranties (glad I had one on my '04 Sierra!) personally I would only have one backed by an OEM.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I am also of the same opinion, NEVER buy a 3rd party extended warranty.
Generally the manufacturer offers one that is the most expensive, but is also the only one that is worth a good damn. Best advice is work that warranty into the deal on a new car. That way you roll it into the total and it's in your general payment. You can use the rental allowance during factory covered warranty repairs or recalls too. Most that I know of are transferable as well.
As long as the dealer is self authorizing and not on some type of leash (for warranty abuses), it works much faster since 3rd party types always want to send an 'adjuster'.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
... If you can't get it from the manufacturer, at least get it from the dealer. They'll stand behind it.

That is the only way I would consider a 3rd party extended warranty. Otherwise, the owner of the warranty is a helpless punching bag hanging between the mechanic and the warranty company.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
It's contrary to what alot of folks do, but with the past two vehicles we've purchased (pre-owned, in good shape), I bought the extended 3rd party warranty offered by the dealer at the time of purchase. For the older vehicle, we renewed it after the first term was up. We are not frequent vehicle buyers, we plan to keep them for at least 10+ years, as long as they're running well and serving our needs well.

It's easy to say 'start putting aside $$ a 'vehicle breakdown' account...and if you're disciplined enough, and have the spare cash to do so, go for it. Hopefully that multi-thousand dollar repair waits until you have at least that much saved up. Cuz ya know, vehicle breakdowns always occur at the absolute most convenient times...always does for me Roll Eyes...

IMHO, you don't by these plans for those few hundred dollar repairs, you buy them for things like when when the transmission goes out and they're looking for $4K to get started...

I've used the coverage on both of the vehicles, and it significantly reduced my out of pocket expenses at the shop...

If you bought the vehicle new, I'd go back to the dealer where you purchased, and see what they can do...if they've routinely serviced it, etc. they can probably get something going. However, if there has been a 'gap' in coverage, they may also require a vehicle inspection, which could be expensive, and they'll of course find a bunch of things that will then not be covered under said warranty, and you'll probably have to address those issues.

If that doesn't work out, the last warranty I purchased (and am still making a few of the installments on) was with National Warranty Corp. The dealership where I purchased was 'a higher end' (nice German- luxury types...tho the car I purchases wasn't their main brand) and as IIRC salesmen said something to the effect they had switched to NWC as the other insurance co. they had been using wasn't providing a good level of service.

In any event:

http://www.nwc.biz/defaultnew.aspx

$.02 Worth

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of was0311
posted Hide Post
No never.

Direct response to your question:

We don't like it, would never recommend.

We, is me, and no.

Posts: 2654 | Location: Eastern NE | Registered: July 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you are a member of a Credit Union check to see what they offer.
Our Credit Union is very very picky about who they endorse and will go to bat for you if there is an issue.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have never had an extended warranty and won't. Just wish these bastards would quit calling me!

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post