SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Student Investigated After Allegedly Saying a Math Symbol Looked Like a Gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Student Investigated After Allegedly Saying a Math Symbol Looked Like a Gun Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Detectives also searched the students home

What. The. Fuck. Searching a home over a comment about a math symbol?
Not no but HELL NO! Until the "detectives" have enough maturity and brain power to talk sense, go away.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Would love to know if they were given permission to search the house or obtained a warrant...

As idiotic as this story already is a judge signing a warrant would be incredibly terrible...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:

Not no but HELL NO! Until the "detectives" have enough maturity and brain power to talk sense, go away.

Go get your fucking warrant. I would hope most judges would tell them to pound sand.

Except that application for the warrant, if the DA got interested, would be full of un-specific crap about "credible threats." Not about square root symbols.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
IF the reporting is accurate and fairly complete, and a search warrant was issued based on a harmless comment, it sure sounds like a bunch of stupid CYA over nothing. Might the student and family have a case for illegal search?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Was there a warrant issued? NRA should help them out with some legal counsel.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
There probably was no one on the sheriff department that made it to a high enough math class to know what a square root is..

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bunch of kids in schools, now know how to cause disruptions that will get them out of class and school for a period of time. As if they did not already know but now have a new 'tool' in their repitoire. Want to get out of a pop math quiz, "Hey he is drawing a gun!"

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't feel threatened by math until I ran into integrating secant and such.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Well, it has a shoulder thing that goes up.

Glock?

Glock 19X.

It has a lanyard loop.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
To the morons that over-reacted like that - it must be horrible to live your life that scared.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16516 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
YCMTSU - You Can’t Make This Shit Up
(yok mot soo)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
quote:

Was there a warrant issued? NRA should help them out with some legal counsel.

If there was that judge deserves to be disbarred.

If there wasn't, why the fuck did they allow them to search their house? I would have told the cops to FOAD when they showed up at my house.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there wasn't, why the fuck did they allow them to search their house? I would have told the cops to FOAD when they showed up at my house.

Leaving aside the bogus reason for obtaining it, I don't think you're allowed to refuse a legal warrant.

Posts: 27957 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out how his comment could have been construed as a threat, even when taken out of context.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I'm still trying to figure out how his comment could have been construed as a threat, even when taken out of context.

You cannot use logic to understand the mindset of the hysterical mass. It's un-understandable.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
There probably was no one on the sheriff department that made it to a high enough math class to know what a square root is..

After hearing the sheriff on the cnn "town hall", I think that's right. He seems the embodiment of the peter priciple in the sheriff's dept.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Well, it has a shoulder thing that goes up.

?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
This is the shoulder thing that goes up.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Can a school or police possibly overreact any more over a comment?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jayhalsey:
They searched his home off of a comment that a written symbol looked like a gun?
I think that would be cause for a lawsuit--big time! The parents should hire a really good lawyer!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post