SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Student Investigated After Allegedly Saying a Math Symbol Looked Like a Gun
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Student Investigated After Allegedly Saying a Math Symbol Looked Like a Gun Login/Join 
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted
http://www.katc.com/story/3756...ol-looked-like-a-gun

Criminal charges will not be filed against a student after allegedly saying a math symbol looked like a gun.

On Tuesday afternoon, Allen Parish Sheriff's Office deputies investigated an allegation of terrorist threats at Oberlin High School, according to the department's Facebook page. The investigation revealed that a student was completing a math problem and drew the sign for square root. Deputies say another student made a comment that the symbol looked like a gun and several other students made similar comments. According to investigators, the comment made by the student in question "could" sound like a threat when taken out of context.

Detectives also searched the students home and found no evidence that he possessed or had immediate access to any type of firearm. Investigators say there was no evidence that the student had any intent to commit harm to students or faculty.

"The student used extremely poor judgment in making the comment, but in light of the actual circumstances, there was clearly no evidence to support criminal charges," stated on the Allen Parish Sheriff's Office Facebook page.

The matter was turned over to the Allen Parish School Board for determination of disciplinary action.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
The matter was turned over to the Allen Parish School Board for determination of disciplinary action.

We're screwed. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The zero tolerance bullshit is out of control.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Well, it has a shoulder thing that goes up.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Stupidity on parade

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's a new round of "you ain't seen nothing yet".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
brought to you by indoctrination centers masquerading as a 'school'

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is pathetic

Thank god this garbage wasnt around when I was growing up
I day dreamed in class all day and spent most of the day drawing battle scenes, or super warrior/Robo cop dudes.

I would have had to been home schooled

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Glock?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
It's a brave new world.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Glock?

Either that or an assault rifle capable of shooting 6,000 a second and killing millions.

I get confused by both of them. Wink

Maybe the student was considered a threat because he knows what a gun looks like?

(He better be careful how he eats a Pop-Tart too.)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:

We're screwed. Roll Eyes

quote:
Detectives also searched the students home and found no evidence that he possessed or had immediate access to any type of firearm.

Unquestionably!

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
It's a new round of "you ain't seen nothing yet".

They've gone to plaid!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They searched his home off of a comment that a written symbol looked like a gun?

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Where was this? Mainly because the story page crashed my browser, but also so I can avoid it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Where was this? Mainly because the story page crashed my browser, but also so I can avoid it.

Given that it was a "Parish" sheriff's office, I'd have to guess Louisiana.

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Believe it or not, Lafayette, Louisiana.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The school and sheriff showed extremely poor judgment by reacting in any way to an innocent remark by a student, and then the sheriff showed even poorer judgment by attempting to accuse the student of using poor judgment.

Although, perhaps now each student should be warned and aware that if you even say the word "gun" the school and even the police will investigate you.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
Mass insanity. I suppose this is what the Salem witch trials were like.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 670 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm to the point where I question the parent's love for their child if they still send them to public schools.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post