SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about hydraulic fluid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about hydraulic fluid Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Does it come in any color other than clear? I use it for a small electric log splitter and it's really hard to see the level on the dip stick.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
A lot of gear can use atf for hydraulic fluid. Maybe check the specs. Atf is red, regular fluid Is not really clear, kinda light honey.

Recycled aw46 is darker than fresh.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You could add a dye to the hydraulic fluid. John Deere has a dye and I am sure there are others.

https://www.hartvilletool.com/...ere-parts-lubricants

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You need 5606.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fluid for my snow plow is blue

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If it is one that can use 80-90w gear oil instead, you can get dark green marine gear lube.

If it requires a lighter fluid, I do not know.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Glasses? Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
You could add a dye to the hydraulic fluid. John Deere has a dye and I am sure there are others.

With the dye do you need black light?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Based on the chemistry within atf and gear lubes, please do not use them in place of hydraulic fluid unless the manufacturer approves.

I will refrain from a formulation chemistry lesson here, but be assured the additives within can be very different.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
You need 5606.
Yup. Mil-Spec H5606 Hydraulic fluid. Looks like cherry Kool-Aid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aero shell is also dyed red. What weight do you need?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
You need 5606.

In the '70's we used Mil Spec H5606 in early BMW motorcycle front forks.

Bought it in RED color gallon cans.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

With the dye do you need black light?

It is a red dye. No light is needed.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Skydrol

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You need 5606.

Prior to this thread, I thought all hydraulic fluid was red.

This might work for you MIL-PRF-5606H

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
we use atf in the tractors, it's a bit thin for heavy use, but it works and it's red.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:
You need 5606.
In the '70's we used Mil Spec H5606 in early BMW motorcycle front forks.

Bought it in RED color gallon cans.
Hah! In our BMWMOA club (Chicago, # 3 club in the MOA), we kept a couple of five gallon pails for this. Somebody would go to a maintenance shop at a local airport and get them to pump it out of their 55 gallon drum. We paid a lot less, doing it this way, than buying it over the counter.

Every so often we would have a "fork clinic." Bring your BMW, the experts would show you how, and assist as needed, service the forks, replace seals as needed, service the fluid, etc.

Other days we would have different clinics: wheel bearings one day, tune-ups another day, etc. Usually a "how to" video (this was way before youtube), there would be parts available, and of course, an ample supply of coffee and donuts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
Skydrol

This is bad advice

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That dye sounds like your best bet. Substituting a different fluid than that specified would most likely not cause any harm, but no sense in taking a chance on it.

Posts: 27926 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post