New
Find
Notify
Tools

Televisions Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I am getting rid of one of my two satellite systems with Dish, so I have a TV (Samsung UN32EH4003F) that might make a nice computer monitor

The back has 2 HDMI and a USB port.

Was wondering if anyone has ever hooked up a flat screen TV to use as a computer monitor.

Thanks

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
All the time. Technically and legally, the only thing needed to call a monitor a television is the requirement for a tuner.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I do. It makes surfing the net so much easier.

I like going dual monitor for school.

Beware that it can make YouTube quite addicting. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I've tried this a number of times. As a second monitor for displaying videos, etc. they are fine. They don't work so well if you spend your time typing into a terminal window. The resolution/dot pitch vs. text size vs. lines and columns of text doesn't usually work out so well. Should be OK if you moderate your expectations.

Note that my experience is on Unix and Mac, I don't use Windows so if you do, YMMV.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am already running dual monitors on two of my desk top systems - thinking that for my 'casual use computer' the single larger screen may be better

any special adapter needed or just HDMI video?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pretty much the same thing.
There are some differences but unless you are pushing it aka 4K or gaming then you will be fine.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Used to do it all the time, when I was still using desktop computers.

I've done the opposite as well, using a computer monitor as my TV, since I didn't need an internal antenna signal tuner.

As stated, they're practically identical.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I used a 42" flat screen TV as a monitor in my music studio. It served as the monitor for the production computer and a TV for the studio when no production was happening.

It works fine, but you have to keep in mind, depending on the size of the screen, you need to be further away from it than you would a typical compute monitor.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have my 47" Vizio hooked up to a computer in my living room. Cut the cord years ago and now only watch streaming stuff. The only thing is sometimes it's hard to read certain things as the font is too small so I end up using Windows' built in magnifier occasionally.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I stream internet content to my TV but only when I want to share / show my wife something, like a youtube video. She doesn't internet.

If you just find yourself with a spare TV... one good use is for photo slideshows. Making it a huge digital photo frame. You could probably put the photos on a USB stick and to play them. At least on MY 47" LG I can.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
I bought a Samsung 49 inch curved 4K for my bedroom tv and monitor . It has worked great. Everything is sharp and clear. My old eyes needed the break. Smile

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post