SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carolina reapers dethroned
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carolina reapers dethroned Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like hot - at the Thai places, what they call "spicy" is fine, and what they call "Thai spicy" is generally about my limit depending on my mood. Habaneros are more than I like by themselves, but not by much.

But no way in hell would I even consider eating Pepper X, or a Reaper.

This describes me perfectly. Because of my parents upbringing in households that ate spicy food I was introduced to spicy food at an early age. I draw the line where the 'hot' factor takes away from the flavor factor. Peppers enhance flavor and that is why I eat food with it in the recipe. I draw the line at anything above Habanero hot. I don't enjoy pain. Weird huh?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I won't even go beyond the Jalapeno. I don't get why anybody would want to eat any of those super hot ones, other than maybe to prove their manhood. A guy I used to work with makes his own salsa. He used to complain that he had to grow his own peppers for it because he couldn't find hot enough ones in the store. He brought some of his salsa into the office once. Just being in the same room with it made my eyes water so bad I had to leave. Why?????

If you eat hot stuff fairly regularly, you build up a sort of tolerance to it, to the point where what used to be hot isn't anymore. Consequently, you have to find hotter peppers to be able to feel the heat, as it were.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun fact. Hot peppers are hot because their seeds can survive the intestinal tracts of birds which don’t have the ability to feel capsaicin. So the seeds can be spread. All other animals digest the seeds but they also feel the capsaicin. Cool

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Before anyone contemplates eating one, this was a comment made in an article about a Welsh farmer who accidentally created a 2.6 million Scoville pepper.

quote:
The scientists believe that if you tried to actually eat this chili, your airways would likely close up from the burn and you’d go into anaphylactic shock and die. However, that doesn’t mean it isn’t a force for good, not evil.

http://www.iflscience.com/plan...orlds-hottest-chili/

In the words of Liam Neeson..."Good luck."
If you search on YouTube for "Reaper pepper and Fireball" you'll find a video of a guy that eats three of them and then chugs Fireball Whiskey. It's pretty.

Big Grin Just watched that vid lol "It's like...(hacking)...I just ate 3...(more hacking)...of Satan's testicles."

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can buy hotter sauces but they use chemical capsicum to achieve it. The fanfare over Pepper X is it allows for hotter all natural sauces which bring real flavor in beside just raw heat.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I like to eat really spicy things but as I have aged, the colon and backdoor remind me I shouldn't anymore.

If you like HOT spicy but fear damage to your "back door", then try xtra hot Atomic Horseradish.

(I can't eat it)

Go easy with the stuff, 'cause it may damage your "front door".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

There is an inverse relationship or point of diminishing returns between hot and flavor in peppers and hot sauces. I'll take the flavor.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like hot - at the Thai places, what they call "spicy" is fine, and what they call "Thai spicy" is generally about my limit depending on my mood.
I have eaten at Thai restaurants with a couple of members of SIGforum. They always request "Thai hot." I tried it once. It was several hours before I could feel my lips again.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Rocky Road tastes so much better.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Do these peppers make ghost peppers appear tame?

I have no desire to try anything hotter than Jalapeno peppers, and even then, only when sparingly chopped up and used in a recipe.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I had a biker chum in Harrisburg PA who would chomp on bell peppers and anything HOT that no one else could eat.

His farts would clear the room.

I think he's still alive.

His initials wouldn't be MS would they. MS is my friend and had a custom holster made to carry his bottle of hot sauce with him. I know he has eaten hot sauce rated at 2 million scoville units, it'll be interesting to see if he tries these peppers.

He has gone coast to coast at least three times and participated in a number of Iron Butts - also the highest annual mileage rider in his local HOG chapter (H-burg) three years running - well over 100K on his bike.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
I won't even go beyond the Jalapeno. I don't get why anybody would want to eat any of those super hot ones, other than maybe to prove their manhood. A guy I used to work with makes his own salsa. He used to complain that he had to grow his own peppers for it because he couldn't find hot enough ones in the store. He brought some of his salsa into the office once. Just being in the same room with it made my eyes water so bad I had to leave. Why?????

If you eat hot stuff fairly regularly, you build up a sort of tolerance to it, to the point where what used to be hot isn't anymore. Consequently, you have to find hotter peppers to be able to feel the heat, as it were.

I suppose so. I guess I just don't see the point in putting myself through the pain. To each his own though, enjoy! Cool

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I had a biker chum in Harrisburg PA who would chomp on bell peppers and anything HOT that no one else could eat.

His farts would clear the room.

I think he's still alive.

His initials wouldn't be MS would they. MS is my friend and had a custom holster made to carry his bottle of hot sauce with him. I know he has eaten hot sauce rated at 2 million scoville units, it'll be interesting to see if he tries these peppers.

He has gone coast to coast at least three times and participated in a number of Iron Butts - also the highest annual mileage rider in his local HOG chapter (H-burg) three years running - well over 100K on his bike.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

No, not the same person. "MT" in Harrisburg rode a BMW and may have given up riding a motorcycle due to back problems.....or too much HOT sauce.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
When I was young, I could barely tolerate any level of spiciness in food, but moving to Texas taught me to appreciate a certain level of spice/heat in food. I never got to a point where I could enjoy 'thai spicy' levels of heat, but I could go beyond Jalapenos and still be fine. Now, while I still enjoy some peppers, I'm back to not being able to eat them. For some reason, about a year or two ago, I started to hiccup whenever I eat anything Jalapeno-hot or more. The hiccups can be strong enough to be painful so I've had to cut back on the level of spice in my food again. Maybe I have an ulcer or something, who knows. Regardless, I do miss having a little more spice in my food.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I grow carolina reapers, Trinidad scorpions and ghost peppers among others. Use them in salsa, chili and dry them. Biggest mistake I made was grinding them in the house. Without goggles...

I have some sausage in the freezer that a local butcher made for me using a large amount of the big 3 for spice. They will really get your attention.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:

Capsaicin creams relieve pain by actually activating nerve endings to the point that they downregulate the receptors on them - effectively, it stimulates the nerves so much that they turn themselves off. Thus, it take progressively larger and larger doses to achieve the same burn for those who use them regularly. Same idea with tolerance of pain medications, anxiety meds, and, of course, heroin.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post