SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yahoo email problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yahoo email problem Login/Join 
posted
We had to switch internet providers and also email providers. I signed up this morning at Yahoo.com for email and got welcomed and received emails from them and sent out a bunch of address corrections to friends and family and received some responses from them and now about 6 hours later when I try to sign in I get a notice in bright red that they do not recognize me. I am doing everything correctly, no typing errors, etc. Any ideas on what is going on?

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Yahoo is a dying company. Why would you choose them for email service?

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lovely wife has been with them for several years and has had good service. Who do you recommend? I'm still interested in solving the problem.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I don't have any suggestions, but have had my yahoo email account for many years without too many issues. But, I'm a little concerned about Paten's statement. Maybe I'll have to change at some point.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yahoo just got bought out by Verizon.

OP, hit the "more" tab at the top of the regular Yahoo screen, then hit the "help" tab. In the upper right-hand corner of your screen there'll be a "can't access your account? Sign-In Helper" tab. Hope that helps.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I use outlook.com for most of my email but people who don't like Microsoft would be against using it. I also have a gmail account that I use for personal correspondence. Both of these accounts have spam filters that work well and I seldom if ever see spam in my inbox. Both Google and Microsoft scan your email content. Both will use it to add appointments to calendars and such but Google will also use it to target adds to you since that's their main money maker. Since I use an ad blocker, I don't care though.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried the suggestion from Il Cattivo and that didn't work. Paten, I appreciate the suggestions. Apparently other folks are having this problem with yahoo. Thanks everyone for help-suggestions.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have no help for you, as my yahoo.com account is up, and running for over 4 years with no problems.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My current e-mail provider is Yahoo!--I've had it since the 1990s and until recently have had no problems with it. However, this past week I have had issues with Outlook (my preferred e-mail handler) connecting to my Yahoo Mail account. Re-establishing a connection is a complex process and I've had to do it twice in the last week. I don't really want to do any changes because all my family and friends know my yahoo.com e-mail address and all my filed messages are on Outlook (back into 2007).

Yahoo! being bought out by Verizon is also a worry to me. Flickr is one of their products and I have 40,000 photos hosted there. I don't know of another host service that offers the equivalent hierarchical structure that Flickr does, and I value that organization very much. Flickr is regarded as one of the (if not the) best photo hosting sites, so there is hope that it will continue without serious changes.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder why everyone uses email software that does not reside on your own computer. Now, if you travel tons it makes it easy to check your mail wherever you are. However, on our office computers we have much greater flexibility with Eudora, which resides on our computer. Our ISP is the hidden host, but all of the emails we download then reside on our own computer so we do not have to connect to the internet to access them.

Posts: 71 | Registered: January 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Also prior to the buyout, Yahoo had been massively hacked - 1 billion (yes BILLION) accounts were hacked.

December 14,2016
Yahoo Says 1 Billion User Accounts were Hacked

quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Yahoo, already reeling from its September disclosure that 500 million user accounts had been hacked in 2014, disclosed Wednesday that a different attack in 2013 compromised more than 1 billion accounts.

The two attacks are the largest known security breaches of one company’s computer network.

The newly disclosed 2013 attack involved sensitive user information, including names, telephone numbers, dates of birth, encrypted passwords and unencrypted security questions that could be used to reset a password. Yahoo said it is forcing all of the affected users to change their passwords and it is invalidating unencrypted security questions — steps that it declined to take in September.

It is unclear how many Yahoo users were affected by both attacks. The internet company has more than 1 billion active users, but it is not clear how many inactive accounts were hacked.

Yahoo said it discovered the larger hacking after analyzing data files, provided by law enforcement, that an unnamed third party had claimed contained Yahoo information.

Security has taken a back seat at Yahoo in recent years, compared to Silicon Valley competitors like Google and Facebook. Yahoo’s security team clashed with top executives, including the chief executive, Marissa Mayer, over the cost and customer inconvenience of proposed security measures.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Yahoo Says Hackers Stole Data on 500 Million Users in 2014 SEPT. 22, 2016

Defending Against Hackers Took a Back Seat at Yahoo, Insiders Say SEPT. 28, 2016
RECENT COMMENTS

Realist December 15, 2016
I'm not stressed about this particularly. I don't bank online and I pay my bills the old fashioned way with a stamp. It seems to me like...
Stratocaster December 15, 2016
Yahoo has a CISO? Who knew? If his bank account were hacked, that would be unfortunate but poetic justice.
jb December 15, 2016
do i yahoo?????? i hope not.
SEE ALL COMMENTS
And critics say the company was slow to adopt aggressive security measures, even after a breach of over 450,000 accounts in 2012 and series of spam attacks — a mass mailing of unwanted messages — the following year.

“What’s most troubling is that this occurred so long ago, in August 2013, and no one saw any indication of a breach occurring until law enforcement came forward,” said Jay Kaplan, the chief executive of Synack, a security company. “Yahoo has a long way to go to catch up to these threats.”

Yahoo has made a steady trickle of disclosures about the 2014 hacking, which it has been investigating with the help of federal authorities. The company said Wednesday that it now believes the attacker in that breach, which it says was sponsored by a government, found a way to forge credentials to log into some users’ accounts without a password.

Bob Lord, Yahoo’s chief information security officer, said in a statement that the state-sponsored actor in the 2014 attack had stolen Yahoo’s proprietary source code. Outside forensics experts working with Yahoo believe that the state-sponsored hackers used Yahoo’s code to access user accounts without their passwords by creating forged “cookies,” short bits of text that a website can store on a user’s machine. By forging these cookies, attackers were able to impersonate valid users, gaining information and performing actions on behalf of their victims. The company has not disclosed who it believes was behind the attack.

In July, Yahoo agreed to sell its core businesses to Verizon Communications for $4.8 billion. Verizon said in October that it might seek to renegotiate the terms of the transaction because of the hacking, which had not been disclosed to Verizon during the original deal talks.

After the latest disclosure Wednesday, a Verizon spokesman, Bob Varettoni, essentially repeated that position.

“As we’ve said all along, we will evaluate the situation as Yahoo continues its investigation,” he said. “We will review the impact of this new development before reaching any final conclusions.”

Mr. Lord said Yahoo had taken steps to strengthen Yahoo’s systems after the attacks. The company encouraged its users to change passwords associated with their Yahoo account and any other digital accounts tied to their Yahoo email and account.

In the hacking disclosed Wednesday, Mr. Lord said Yahoo believed an “unauthorized third party” managed to steal data from one billion Yahoo user accounts. Mr. Lord said that Yahoo had not been able to identify how the hackers breached Yahoo’s systems, but that the company believed the attack occurred in August 2013.

Changing Yahoo passwords will be just the start for many users. They will also have to comb through other services to make sure passwords used on those sites are not too similar to what they were using on Yahoo. And if they were not doing so already, they will have to treat everything they receive online, such as email, with an abundance of suspicion, in case hackers are trying to trick them out of even more information.

Yahoo recommended that its customers use Yahoo Account Key, an authentication tool that verifies a user’s identity using a mobile phone and eliminates the need to use a password on Yahoo altogether.

Security experts say the latest discovery of a breach that happened so long ago is another black mark for the company. “It’s not just one sophisticated adversary that gets in,” said Ben Johnson, co-founder and chief security strategist at Carbon Black, a security company. “Typically companies get compromised multiple times due to the same vulnerability or employee culture.”

Mr. Johnson added that the scale of the breaches is only increasing as companies store more and more troves of information in similar databases. “When you have these huge databases of information, it’s millions — and now billions — of accounts lost,” he said.

Correction: December 14, 2016
An earlier version of this article misstated the day Yahoo announced 1 billion user accounts had been compromised. It was Wednesday, not Thursday.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't have a smart phone (and don't want one). I do have a tablet, though, and I tried going to Yahoo's "Account Key" process. That appears to be what triggered the difficulty that Outlook experienced connecting to my e-mails. I had to back out of the Account Key process, delete all Internet history, find the Yahoo Mail option to allow applications with less security (apparently Outlook falls into that category now), take down Outlook and restart it, and then go through the account setup process again (I didn't change anything). That restored the connectivity. I've had to do the Internet history and Outlook down/up/redo again. I am not pleased with this development.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
My son and Sister use AOL free e mail, I also have an AOL mail account and have had zero problems with it. I also have a free MSN mail account which translates to Outlook. I do not particularly like it but it works. I also use Mozilla/Thunderbird e mail and it merges all my other accounts nicely and I like it.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
just get a private email account and be done with it. I use Reagan.com

Unlike the free accounts they won't scan your email and sell your content.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
AT&T Uverse uses Yahoo as their mail server. I received a missive from AT&T basically saying no worries, all will continue as usual. We'll see.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's like your mortgage being bought out, no real worries.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post