SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do local gun stores appreciate receiving transfers for online purchaaes?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do local gun stores appreciate receiving transfers for online purchaaes? Login/Join 
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
a business which fails to embrace an elemental change in marketing (on-line) is a shop destined to fail.

it's not about liking it, it's about winning.

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Some do, some don't. I use to use two local gun shops. One charged $50 and then decide to no longer accept hand gun transfers via USPS. That turned me off and I started using another shop who only charges $25, but they decided to move locations and only be open extremely part time now. I now drive south to the next town with a nice well established gun shop who is happy to do a transfer. They also have a nicer selection then my local shops and it is worth the hour drive.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
25 to 30 bucks is about what we make on a the sale of a new gun, maybe a bit more. We'll do transfers all day long.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
There are a bunch of cost and operational issues people overlook.

First, figure out what it costs for the shop to be open for you to come into to do a transfer. Rent, utilities, insurance, storage (yes, the 4473s are held for 20 years, so there is a cost associated with storage), salary, the lot. Then divide that by the number of minutes the shop is open. That gives a per minute operational cost. Figure handling a transfer takes about 30 minutes, if you are efficient (10 minutes before, 10 minutes while you are there, and 10 minutes after you leave). Include the costs for BATFE audits of the records too. That gives you an idea of what the shop should be charging.

If you think it is easier or takes less time, by all means, enlighten us on what is involved and how shops can speed things up and save money on transfers.

If you want a means to measure the actual cost for a gun in stock at a local shop, takes Bud's price, add 5%, plus $20 S&H, then add another 20% to cover the operational costs of having it there for you to fondle. While you can get it from Bud's for cost plus 5%, plus $20 plus the transfer fee, the dealer has to cover the cost of having it in stock (they shelled out money to have it to sell) and the staff time to show it to potential buyers (most of whom fondle but don't buy).

Then there is another cost issue: sales tax. Most people erroneously believe there is no sales tax on goods bought out of state. In Virginia, you are still liable for the sales tax on all goods bought outside the Commonwealth. Most don't pay it. The local gun shop, however, has no choice but to include that 6% on your invoice.

Then if the shop comes in at less than the actual cost for a transfer, decide if you will help defray that loss by purchasing something from their retail stock.

If they charge considerably more, or won't do them at all, ask yourself why. Might it be they had some awful experience like an incoming handgun transfer from a non-licensee who decided to ship a $2K collectible Luger via the USPS and the box and gun were damaged en route and thus discovered by the Postal Inspection Service. It only takes a few bad experiences like that to make a shop stop accepting transfers at all or from non-licensees.

People often think the gun business is lucrative. If you came to me and asked me to open a gun shop for you, I'd first do everything in my power to steer you to a better means of making money, like the craps table.

I'd write more on this topic, but I am confident that I'll be lambasted by people that are not licensees. Since I have other things to do, like wash the cats and express their anal glands, I go do that instead of responding to my critics.

I agree with you, 100%

Most only see the face of the matter and believe it's all rainbows and butterflies.

For example, some people will transfer in several to upwards of nearly a dozen handguns, receivers, etc. Now, much more time is tied up in the process, along with additional paperwork, ( multiple forms. ) in other cases, there are headaches trying to track down the customer who had the gun transferred. There's usually no shortage of drama associated with transfers.

My LGS has gone back and fourth on the issue of what to charge for the transfer fee. Its typically $35.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
I don't mind doing transfers we charge $20. However, the biggest issue for us is the customer that shows up 10min after getting tracking notification and DEMANDS we give him his firearm. At least give us a couple hours and don't butt to the front of the line.

We used to charge $20 per form. After 1 customer had a bunch transferred in and I had to sit through countless hours of interviews about him with 3 different alphabet soup agencies we went to $20 per item. Twice now we have had a similar situation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2179 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
My preferred shop is 45 minutes away. They charge $25 for up to 3 guns on a transfer. I always try to buy some gun lube or an accessory, while I am picking something up. Those prices are very fair and I just feel that it is polite. I also peruse the used guns and buy when the price is right. They are also a Glock LE dealer so I use my GSSF purchase voucher there.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I use a local pawn shop, they're always pleasant and seem to not mind. They charge $20.00, very fair.

I've ordered from local gun stores, they take their invoice, add 10%, add shipping, add tax - that's what I paid. Still they have a hard time meeting the big on line retailers. I'm good if they are within $20.00 of the on line price..

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My local store welcomes transfers. I asked him one day and he said it’s a major source of his revenue. As others mentioned, you go in to pick up a gun and while you’re there chances are you get a couple mags, maybe a box of ammo/holster/sling/grease/etc. I only buy online when it’s one of those stupid cheap deals like the $279 M&P 15-22 a few years ago. If he’s close to the shipped and transferred cost I buy from him. His knowledge and service are worth paying a little more.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
The two local stores I use don't seem to mind at all. I typically only have incoming transfers for used guns that I bought on the forum.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I have LGS that will do transfers for $25. Buy from him for $25 over his cost. Has to order. Makes no difference to him. $25 profit either way.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
My FFL is semi-retired. These days he works part-time and by appointment only out of a friend's jewelry store. All he does is transfers. $30 + $10 NICS. Very reasonable for this area.
Many times I've gone to pick something up and there may be 3 or 4 other people there doing the same. He does quite well by doing this and really appreciates his customers.

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really don't care if they appreciate it or not. If they say they do transfers but give me a hard time about it, then I just won't come back. I do so much of shopping online that if a brick and mortar store can't provide good customer service, then I'm just done with them.

This is capitalism, keep up or die.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really don't care if they appreciate it or not. If they say they do transfers but give me a hard time about it, then I just won't come back. I do so much of shopping online that if a brick and mortar store can't provide good customer service, then I'm just done with them.

So just out of curiosity.....

When all the brick and mortars in your area die (because they refuse to support your online buying habits), who's going to handle your transfers?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

When all the brick and mortars in your area die (because they refuse to support your online buying habits), who's going to handle your transfers?

I don't think that will happen, I believe in capitalism.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
I have LGS that will do transfers for $25. Buy from him for $25 over his cost. Has to order. Makes no difference to him. $25 profit either way.

Why are you all assuming the $25 is all profit?

I'll bet you once you subtract the cost of him being there, having someone doing the transfer on the clock (they ain't working for free) and all his other costs like utilities and insurance etc it's like half that, maybe.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:
quote:

Whether you believe it or not we are heading that way. B&M is costly and firearm profits are low so the B&M’s will close leaving home based only. The home based will realize they have a monopoly and will raise transfer fees then you’ll be mad at them. This is capitalism....

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
quote:
quote:

Whether you believe it or not we are heading that way. B&M is costly and firearm profits are low so the B&M’s will close leaving home based only. The home based will realize they have a monopoly and will raise transfer fees then you’ll be mad at them. This is capitalism....

And that's the end result if we don't choose to only buy from brick and mortar? Even if it not economically efficient? You really think that's where we'll all end up, buying online, doing transfers at someone's house for high fees? Maybe that could happen, but even then it would be a point in time and not an end result.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
And that's the end result of we don't choose to only buy from brick and mortar? Even if it not economically efficient? You really think that's where we'll all end up, buying online, doing transfers at someone's house for high fees?

I don't, and here's why. At least around here, home based FFLs are somewhat frowned upon, unless you're in an unincorporated area.

Cities don't want "businesses" in the subdivisions. They want "businesses" to do what businesses are supposed to do: Have a commercial location, and collect/pay taxes. And seeing that FFLs rank not far behind liquor stores and nightclubs on the scale of desirability, cities also tend to want to limit the number and locations of those who are interested.

So it's my belief that home based FFLs will not replace brick and mortar locations. When they're gone, they'll be gone.

And it's not just FFLs. What do you think your local city/county/state is going to do when they finally get off their ass about the taxes they're loosing? In your "no local business utopia", who's going to pay the bills?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
And that's the end result of we don't choose to only buy from brick and mortar? Even if it not economically efficient? You really think that's where we'll all end up, buying online, doing transfers at someone's house for high fees?

I don't, and here's why. At least around here, home based FFLs are somewhat frowned upon, unless you're in an unincorporated area.

Cities don't want "businesses" in the subdivisions. They want "businesses" to do what businesses are supposed to do: Have a commercial location, and collect/pay taxes. And seeing that FFLs rank not far behind liquor stores and nightclubs on the scale of desirability, cities also tend to want to limit the number and locations of those who are interested.

So it's my belief that home based FFLs will not replace brick and mortar locations. When they're gone, they'll be gone.

And it's not just FFLs. What do you think your local city/county/state is going to do when they finally get off their ass about the taxes they're loosing? In your "no local business utopia", who's going to pay the bills?

It's certainly not my Utopia to have no local businesses. Really my two points are:

1. I don't think most firearm consumers want to pay extra high prices just to support local businesses that may or may not have good customer service.

2. Economies are always evolving.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I now work p/t at a LGS a few days a week as fun job. We are sorry when we hear of bad attitudes elsewhere so I get that part. We are quite fine with transfers, as you cannot have everything customers want. Many of the largest online retailers get deals we cannot get or match, so we understand. In these cases we would not find fault with customers, just the inequitable parts of firearm distribution.

We are quite often cheaper after shipping/fees when doing special orders and usually help customers there. If you don't understand the underbelly of retail well it might be nice to repeat that transfers are not free money. Besides being at the counter for sales, someone has to be on the clock for a shift or a day to send out FFL copies, receive, log, run down errors, occasionally ship stuff back when refused, and be available at the times customers turn up to do the paperwork. If an owner has a store, there is overhead before making a living. IF... IF, it took an appointment on limited hours for one person to schedule NICS 2 evenings a week just to do paperwork it could be a savings, but that isn't practical.

Whatever we did as a living in our time, (if business and not taxpayer funded, Wink hehe) the goal was to make some money. Compared to the margins retailing firearms, many of you should be embarrassed to complain.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post