SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Construction Experts: I Believe Our Garage Is In Distress (somewhat photo-heavy)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Construction Experts: I Believe Our Garage Is In Distress (somewhat photo-heavy) Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
$8-9k for those repairs does sound high, possibly an "I don't want to do this" price. I'd be curious how many guys for how many days the guy thought he needed.

Whoever does it will be using bottle jacks, bracing, and comealongs. You can do it with a basic structure like that pretty easy.

Everything needs correct nailing, and all those rafters need hurricane ties to the top plates.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
$8-9k for those repairs does sound high, possibly an "I don't want to do this" price. I'd be curious how many guys for how many days the guy thought he needed.

He didn't say, but, after consulting with no less than three guys experienced in construction, one of whom used to build garages, I'm going with Plan B: Noted in my prior post.

quote:
Whoever does it will be using bottle jacks, bracing, and comealongs. You can do it with a basic structure like that pretty easy.

Phase II was initiated Monday. (Phase I was clear enough space to work in there.)

I've got six sets of cables and come-alongs in place: Three in each direction. One centered and a pair 4' either side of that. Then I've a "push stick" under the end of the ridge board, with a bottle jack.

Since I didn't want to try anchoring to the wall shared with the house, I instead stiffened the first rafter tie and anchored to that. On that side, as well as two other locations where the load would be across split top plates, I installed 2"x2" angle iron, fastened with four 5/16" x 1-1/2" lag screws, to distribute the load/tension.

I've got everything in place and initial tension on everything. (Essentially cranked each bit, slowly, until I heard a groan or creak.)

I've let it set that way for about 48 hours. I'll go out, inspect everything carefully to make sure I'm not actually anything apart, and give everything another crank.

But, before I do that I need another bottle jack and 2x4. Things have moved a bit more since my OP. The rafter tie in the last photo of my OP, which is right over the joint in one of the aforementioned split top plates, is actually off one piece--or so nearly so it makes no never mind. So I'll have to push it up a skosh. (Yeah, that means it was w/in about 1/8" from falling right off the top plate!)

Took a photo the other day:

You can't really see it, because the angle iron is in the way, but the right side of the end of that rafter tie is essentially off the top plate. And if you look at those two nails you can see one of the two construction problems: Not only did they not put enough rafter ties in, they didn't even nail them well. This one had two nails: One of which was nailing into nothing and the other of which was only into the rafter maybe a quarter of an inch and at an angle.

Oh yeah: And I put a level on all the walls, again, before I started. Looking at the photos of the level in my post back in March: The walls are significantly less plumb than they were even then. So the contractor I had out here was wrong: It wasn't just snow load causing it. It's a good thing I got this started when I did.

quote:
Everything needs correct nailing, and all those rafters need hurricane ties to the top plates.

One contractor to whom I spoke suggested collar ties--which can be simply 2x4's?

ETA: Ok, brane fart: Hurricane ties to the top plates. The collar ties go up under the ridge board. I'll have to look hurricane ties up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post