SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone taught their kids to ski??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone taught their kids to ski?? Login/Join 
Picture of cfiore
posted Hide Post
My wife is a former ski racer (downhill, super G, Slalom, GS), Buddy Werner, USSA, FIS points etc... We got my son who is now 7 on skis at 3, she tried to instruct him and it was a miserable horrible experience for all involved. I don't think he was ready for skiing no matter who taught him.

When he turned 5 he wanted to try cross country (we do both) he picked it up the first day doing it within about 20 minutes. At that point we knew he was ready for downhill as xc is harder to learn. Last year we got him on downhill skis.

My wife tried again to teach him herself and again it did not go well. We then put him in a three day lesson package, every single day they moved him up to a higher level. He also loved it. We were able to take him to the top of the mountain and ski down with him after lessons were over. He will be following in moms footsteps and starting racing this season, (if we ever get any snow).

I think a family member teaching something like skiing is going to add to any frustration that may already be there especially for a younger child.

I highly recommend lessons, the added benefit is that while you r child is in the lesson you can get some runs in. Then at the end of the day take a couple runs with your child as most lessons end before the mountain closes for the day.

Posts: 476 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I have 3 kids on skis now -- 7yrs, 5yrs, and 3yrs.

We started our two oldest when they were 5 and 3 respectively. Day One we hired a ski instructor friend of mine to spend the day with them teaching the basics. It was well worth the $100 or so. By the end of the first day they were both riding the caterpillar and skiing. And most importantly... HAVING FUN!

We started our youngest last year at age 2. Hooked her up to a set of reigns/leashes, put a little bungy thing on the tips and off we went. She had some fun but I'm not sure she really learned anything.

This year I'm starting the season -- if the snow ever starts falling!! -- by getting her a full day lesson too.

The 2 oldest will also begin the season with a free lesson compliments of Breckenridge. It came with their local schoolkids pass.

I can definitely say that my kids really benefit from lessons - better attitudes, better skills, more laughter. They don't need a full week or anything crazy expensive -- just a jump start at the beginning of every season. Then my wife and I take over the teaching for the rest of the season.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My first experience with skiing was when I was 19 my so called buddies took my up to the black chair at Mt bachelor in Bend Oregon, pointed me at the lodge and said good luck 4 hours later I made it down. everything was wrong boots too tight skis too long, I had no idea how to stop.

My brother took me a few weeks later on a bunny hill and showed me the snow plow and turn after about in hour I was having fun, skied almost every weekend after that, my revenge to my so called buddies was following them waiting for they to fall sliding sideways covering them in snow I did it so many times they finally said they were sorry.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The slopes we are going to offer a free lesson to kids on their first time.
So get there do a 50 minute lesson rest have lunch and hope he wants to go out with me a little bit.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Family members teaching is just a source of frustration.

Learning amongst a group of their peers is usually best, even better if they have a friend learning with them. Peer pressure to keep up with the group is powerful and that'll help nudge their learning along.

If you're able to get them on the slopes for 3-4 consecutive days, even if it's for a couple of runs, it'll help reinforce their newfound skills.

Don't burn them out and take all the fun away. If the day is just a few runs, go back to the lodge, have a hot chocolate and that'll help build the fun on the slopes memories.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Back when I was doing software development, I had a two-year stint on contract in the Denver area.

My wife and I thought about teaching the boys, but first we observed a kid's class that was in progress at Copper Mountain.

It was obvious to us that the teacher really knew how to coach the kids, she loved the kids and they knew it and responded to her. We signed the two boys up for classes with her and I'm positive that we made the right decision.

Not only did the boys really like the teacher, but they had a lot of fun interacting with the other kids in the group.
+1. Get him go up lessons in the morning, and if he still has some energy left after lunch, have him show you what he learned, on a couple easy runs.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
Would you like the Snow Sports Merit Badge Book?

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The slopes we are going to offer a free lesson to kids on their first time.
So get there do a 50 minute lesson rest have lunch and hope he wants to go out with me a little bit.

That's perfect!
You get to ski some tougher stuff in the morning and then chill out with your son in the afternoon. He'll have a ball showing you all the new tricks he's learned while you were away.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post