SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insulated hunting boots?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insulated hunting boots? Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted
So i have some un-insulated higher ground Danner boots. I love them, the fit, comfort, and the durability. I have been in Colorado this week and wore them with good wool socks and my toes got cold after a while. What good insulated boots do we like and what insulation? I was thinking about getting some 800g Danner higher ground or UA brow time boots, but am interested in thoughts. I am a big fan of the newer athletic type boots.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There are some great boots out there. Stay away from the chicom or other cheaply made boats.

Some that I own and like are:

Zamberlan
Kennetrek
Scarpa
Crispi is another one.

I own a pair of Thorogood. Which are very good and somewhat cheaper.

Might also look at Hoffman out of Idaho. I own their Pac boots and are really, really good.

Do not waste your time with Danner these days, Irish setter or other similar boots. I want a USA or Euro boot. Buy once and be satisfied.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I gots me a set of 800 gram Irish Setters. When needed I'll add a set of hot pockets for feet. Perfect for 20° F.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you hiking in them, or sitting?

Hiking I have a pair of Vasque that are 18 years old and going strong. I just replaced the original laces!

Sitting boots I've had a couple pairs Sorel's that I really liked, but were cumbersome to walk in. More recently a pair of Baffin's that are great and seem very durable so far, but I've only had them a few years now.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some Danner hunting boots with 1200 grams of thinsulate. Great for sitting, but anything more than walking to a stand and your feet will be sweating.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in the military, we used to wear Danner Fort Lewis boots. I used them in the field in mountains of southern Germany and later wore them when I worked in Siberia. We regularly were outdoors in -40F temps. These boots are Goretex lined with vibram soles. They are pricey, but they hold up very well and are very warm. My pair lasted over 25 years.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danner Canadian boots. Don't if they still make this model, but mine are fantastic.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
For sitting boots, get a pair one full size bigger than you would normally wear. Too tight of a boot will make your feet cold and keep them cold. I still walk in mine but take it easy. I have the 1000 gram elk hunters by Irish setter. I even have heavy pac boots for standing out on the ice.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Milsurp bunny boots

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Go to Cabela's there, They have Meindls,look at the Italian or Serbian ones. Have a few of their boots and shoes and have been very happy

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post