SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving a Piano
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving a Piano Login/Join 
posted
I need to move an upright piano from one room to another and then back again after the ceramic tile is finished. I am not going to tackle the task. How much should I expect to pay for both moves? I was thinking of contacting the music store where I bought the piano thirty some years ago. Thoughts?

No stairs involved. Adjoining bedroom.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Make sure that whoever you choose is a)referred by a reputable piano dealer, and b)insured.

I have a 1911 Baldwin upright that my grandfather gave my grandmother as a wedding present. I still play from time to time, and it has both real and sentimental value. It gets moved by a professional service.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Two fit people can lift and carry an upright piano. Three or four high school football players. Call the coach. Smile You can always buy some ¼" underlayment, ripped into 2' x 8' pieces, and lay it upon the floor for added protection. Also, the piano should be on rollers; just ease it towards the back a little, keeping the weight off the two legs in front (if it has them).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. First time on this forum I have heard of a 1911 referred to that was NOT a pistol.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Music store - your first thought - is the best idea by far. They'll know who to use. Otherwise, you might have Stan and Ollie show up, and we saw how that ended.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A piano dolly from HD should be involved.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Last time I moved a piano, we put 3 of us on one end and an offensive guard from the Buffalo Bills on the other side. Smooth sailing.
Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Factoring in the coupons, wouldn't a piano dolly from Harbor Freight be cheaper?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call and get some estimates. Most U-Haul type storage units have a list of people they use.
Sometimes a piano company will throw in a piano tuning free or reduced price if you use their crew.

Do ask the piano company what to put under the casters. Sometimes they do not play nice with tile.
Travel time to your house may be the most expensive part.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
about 15+ years ago when I worked for a mover, I could be remembering wrong, I think it was $600 to take it from house to house. Indoors I suspect it may be cheaper but its been a long time and rates most likely have gone up.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

Factoring in the coupons, wouldn't a piano dolly from Harbor Freight be cheaper?

HF is good for lots of things, but a decent 1000# - 1200# dolly will only cost $50-$60 and you'll have it forever. Very handy item (I've two but you only use one moving a piano). They're in the basement at the moment, heavy crap stacked on them, heavy crap which is very easy to move about if need be.

Four good casters, a solid wood frame, and the higher ends carpeted. That's all you need.

I've another, a low profile dolly, part of a church organ speaker assembly. It's from the 1950s and built to withstand a Soviet rocket attack.

The music store would be wise to send out two beefy guys and a tuner/salesman to examine the piano and move it, then discuss options to maintain it's tone and performance when they return it to its position.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
In my younger days I worked for a Mayflower Mover putting myself through college and moved many pianos.
Most, if not all, upright pianos have a handle on the back side making it very easy to pick up. If you are just moving it from one room to another on the same floor you can get one (or two) four wheel dollies from HF and place it under the piano and carefully push/pull it into the other room.

The hardest piano move we ever did was to deliver a baby grand piano to the fourth floor in a Cambridge, MA townhouse. I thought at one time that the damn thing was going to slide down the stairs with me and another guy behind it and completely squash us.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two carpet installers we used, neither heavier than 160 pounds, just picked our piano up and carried it into the kitchen and back. They seemed like pretty solid guys but were not weightlifters.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
My 5' wife and I moved one of these, albeit on hardwood so that made it easy. Two decent dollies, lift one end, slide under, repeat, then she just helped push/pull/steer and pull dollies back out.

It's really not a big deal. If you're worried about affecting the tune, you are probably like most of us and overdue anyway so just plan that for after the moving about.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$300

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I moved a piano ONCE....those thugs are ridiculously heavy! Ill do it for ya but not for a penny less than a gagillion dollars Big Grin

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Plenty of Youtube videos on how to move a piano. Room to room I'd do it myself with one or two other people to help. House to house I'd call the local piano store. One piano dolly centered under the harp is all you really need. And make sure you get it tuned after it's back in place.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have one very similar to this one:

My wife's parents brought it from CA to TX a few years ago. Took 6 of us to unload from the back of his Tundra.

When we moved last year, my brother-in-law & I moved it, just the two of us.

As mentioned above, there should be a 'handle' on the back. It's heavy, but from one room to another, shouldn't be too much hassle for 2 fit people to handle.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
Please pass me the piano.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piano dollys rent for $15.00 per day , here

if you are just going from one room to the next, ( no stairs, steps or ditches )

that would be they way that I would go.

even if you have to rent it twice,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post