SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day (LEAD) Karma: ** P228 ** ----->> ** WINNER = Klusk2 **
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day (LEAD) Karma: ** P228 ** ----->> ** WINNER = Klusk2 ** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now, two sad stories, then a cool one, then another sad one.

Before I was cop, I had a friend that was friends with a brand new female trooper. He introduced us, and not long after, the three of us went to the shooting range. At the end of the day, she invited us to have a spaghetti dinner at her home with her and her mother. She then had to work night shift that night. My friend and I both declined. The next morning, my friend called me while crying. Trooper Sandy Wagner had been killed in a crash overnight, having turned in front of a tractor trailer while trying to stop a speeder.

At that time, I didn’t own a suit and had to borrow one from a friend so I could attend the funeral. I kept the suit in my car to keep cat hair off of it. The night before the funeral, I brought the suit into my apartment. Around 2AM, I was awakened to people screaming outside my building. A convicted arsonist burned down our apartment building in an attempt to kill his girlfriend. I made it out with my keys, wallet, and two cats. I missed the funeral, and the suit was consumed in the fire. The Red Cross was phenomenonal.

At the first police department I worked at, a young college student did ride-alongs with my shift while he worked on his Criminal Justice degree. Competition to get hired was strong, but he wanted to work for us because it was his hometown and his dream. Few people were nicer than him. He didn’t get hired with us and I had moved out of state.

About five years later, he finally got hired by that agency after proving his excellence at a neighboring agency. Not long after that, he, Patrolman Chad Spicer, was shot and killed at the end of a pursuit of robbery suspects. I went back home to attend the funeral and watched as his two year old daughter was patting the casket and calling “Daddy”.

Now for a cool story. I was part of the tarmac security team when President Trump was campaigning. He treated law enforcement like gold!

...and now another tear jerker...I also had to work tarmac security for Obama during his campaign...

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
For the fun of it, if you don't mind, tell us your most interesting day on the job. Smile

Extremely generous karma, please consider me for it.

Most interesting day on the job was responding to a call for service at a hotel during a windstorm. Part of the building was damaged, some debris hit the desk clerk, and I was told to wait with her until EMS arrived. It turns out that it was my (older) partner's daughter. He left me with her to make sure she was okay. She was, she thanked me for looking after her and then we started dating a week or so later. A few months after that, we were engaged and got married. I still think she had a serious head injury when she decided to go out with me. Wink

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I would be honored to even be considered in this awesome karma!!

I've been an Instructor in various disciplines for more than a decade now, and on at least two separate occasions, I've been directly teaching before lunch, only to be involved in a manhunt during lunch, and right back to teaching after lunch...food? who needs food?

The first time this happened, I was teaching at the agency I worked for, and had just broke the class for lunch. I was chatting with another instructor, who was also a K9 handler. Another officer had spotted a wanted subject, and tried to pull them over. Of course they didn't stop, and the chase was on. Both myself and the K9 officer ran to our vehicles, and tried to catch up with the chase. The suspect soon bailed out on foot, and I ran cover as the K9 officer ran a track with the dog. We didn't get the guy that day....didn't get lunch either. AS soon as we called off the search, I had to get back to the class quick, as I was the lead instructor.

The second time, I was teaching at the academy, and as soon as we broke for lunch, we were notified that a suspect had thrown contraband over the fence at a nearby prison, and I ended up on the perimeter as we searched for him. The tracking team got him right as we were about to call of the search and break perimeter. I actually did have time for a quick bite before class started back up after that one.

I know, they are not the most exciting stories, and there is not a whole lot of excitement when it comes to being an instructor. It just makes for an odd dichotomy to go from "routine" teacher, to running around with a rifle looking for a wanted felon, right back to teaching, all within an hour or so.

Thanks Q, for your generosity and all that you do for the members of this forum.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
** WINNER = Klusk2 **
Congrats! I'll get in touch with you later.

Thanks, everyone, for entering and for all the stories. It's like reading a short book full of great police stories. Love it! Cool

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Klusk2 enjoy your new weapon

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Congrats Klusk!

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, brother!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Enjoy Klusk!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
And a big thank you to Q for recognizing our LEO's out there so often.
Thanks Q

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Klusk!

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Q.

Enjoy Klusk!

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Congrats klusk, and thanks Q for your generous karma.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

I enjoyed this thread. Great stories!

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
I truly am honored to win this extremely generous karma. I am humbled to be a member of a community that is so giving of their knowledge, expertise and of themselves.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Q, youre an awesome dude. Congrats Klusk2!!!

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Congrats Klusk2. Enjoy!

Q you continue to amaze! Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post