SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Waltzing Matilda" A Marine's Retirement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Waltzing Matilda" A Marine's Retirement Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
A good friend of mine retired Friday. Ray and I spent many years fixing tanks together. He is finally going back to Montana to relax with his family.

Waltzing Matilda is the song of the First Marine Division. We had bagpipers play it when Ray retired. Semper Fi Ray.

Here is his cake.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Very cool, wish him the best..

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is that a chocolate tank with itty bitty chocolate smoke launchers. That thing is cute as hell.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Semper-Fi

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Congrats. Love the cake.
And Semper-Fi.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Happy retirement to your friend.

I didn't know the song's connection with the Marines. I always thought that was an Australian song and the theme song of drunk sailors. The lyrics are kind of sad.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I didn't know the song's connection with the Marines. I always thought that was an Australian song

It is an Australian song. The 1st Marine Division adopted it when they spent about 7 month in Australia during WW2, just after their ordeal on Guadalcanal.

They were stationed in Melbourne, Australia for rest and refitting from January 1943 through September 1943, when they left to assault Cape Glouster.

During the same period, the 1st Marine Division also adopted the British/Australian-style battledress jacket, a necessity born of a shortage of US uniforms. It was unofficially known as the "Vandegrift jacket", after the 1st MarDiv's commanding officer, Major General Alexander Vandegrift.

These proved so popular with the Marines that a US-made version was officially adopted for issue to the entire Corps in 1945. The Vandergift jacket, which became officially known as the "Battle Jacket" upon adoption by the entire Corps, persisted in Marine use through the early 1960s.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your friend on his retirement!

The jacket those Marines are wearing looks a lot like the Ike jacket the Army used for the same reasons.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The jacket those Marines are wearing looks a lot like the Ike jacket the Army used for the same reasons.

A similar design. The Army's M44 "Ike" jacket was based on the British battledress jacket too.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A CWO4 is a rare bird. He must have had an interesting career.

http://terminallance.com/2013/...myths-and-legends-v/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Is that tank Chocolate????

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats an awesome song - didn't know it was associated with the USMC

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post