SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone made the jump to Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws? (UPDATE: Installed and a week of driving!!)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone made the jump to Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws? (UPDATE: Installed and a week of driving!!) Login/Join 
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rln_21:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Cooper AT3 are a bit more aggressive than some and I love mine. Might be worth a look.

I had Cooper AT3 and they were a very good tire but they are nowhere near as aggressive as the Wildpeak or Duratrac or Ridge Grappler.

They have an updated, more aggressive version of the Cooper AT3. The AT3 XLT. I've been running a set on my truck for about a year, and they are easily the best all-around tire I've found for Alaska driving.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
I put the Falkens on my ‘05 Jeep Wrangler just before Christmas last year so not much experience with them long term. But I’ve been very happy with them so far and they look good to boot. Got mine at Discount Tire Direct, good price and easy to do. Definitely recommend both.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Just pulled the trigger.
$676.50 for 275/70/18s from Amazon after tax, state regulatory fees, and 5% cash back.
Next closest I could find was Discount Tire Direct for $832

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Just pulled the trigger.
$676.50 for 275/70/18s from Amazon after tax, state regulatory fees, and 5% cash back.

Tires from Amazon, did not know.
Did the price include shipping?

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
quote:
Just pulled the trigger.

Tires from Amazon, did not know.
Did the price include shipping?

2 Day Prime since they are sold by Amazon.
Some of the others weren’t sold by Amazon and some of those had free shipping and some did not.

At the beginning of the week they were $30 more a tire. I do not recall if they were sold by Amazon but free shipping.
Today it noted 8 left so with Amazons fluctuating prices dependent upon where they get them from figured I should go ahead doubting the price would be cheaper but easily go up.

They sell wheels to. Hoping an AR I have for sale locally will sell quickly so I can order the wheels and not have to mount these on the OEM wheels while I save for aftermarkets.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I read just about internet evaluation that I could find regarding the Wildpeaks. I got them installed in November - December. Very impressed thus far. Did a lift kit on a Jeep Wrangler with the install. Great in snow and cold rain so far. Unbelievably quiet for the very aggressive tread. The factory goodyears were louder as they wore out. No idea on tread wear yet. However as someone mentioned, they have 50,000 tread life warranty. Or is it 55,000? The dealer that I purchased from specializes in wheels, tires, and lifts for 4WD. They highly recommended the Wildpeaks.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Curious on this as well. I've typically run BFG All-Terrains on our trucks and SUV's. I've been happy with the set of KO2's on my 2015 F-150. My only complaint is that they kind of suck in the rain, very easy to break tractions. Ice they're ok and snowpack they're great.

Just made a trade for a 2019 F-150. Unlike y 2013 that came with OEM series all season tires, this one at least has LT rated Goodyear Wranglers on it. Depending how they do in snow & ice I may be looking to swap them out once winter comes. I do not have high hopes for them.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
They have an updated, more aggressive version of the Cooper AT3. The AT3 XLT. I've been running a set on my truck for about a year, and they are easily the best all-around tire I've found for Alaska driving.

I was also going to recommend the DISCOVERER AT3 XLT.

A few guys on my Tundra forum bought them and have been very happy with them.
They will be my next tire when my KO2s wear out, hopefully by the end of the year.

I had KOs stock when I bought my Tundra new in 2014.
Got 40K miles out of them but they where a rough ride.
Bought KO2s last year, they ride smoother than the KOs, but the more they wear the louder they are getting.

Looking forward to getting the AT3 XLT.
My last set of KO2s ran me $1500 in my size..

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just pulled the trigger.

What is it going to cost to get them mounted and balanced?

Was DT's $832 price mounted with their warranty and lifetime rotation and balancing?

Posts: 4359 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Looks like my intuition was right. I checked the price on Amazon this morning and they went back up $30 a tire.

quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:
Just pulled the trigger.

What is it going to cost to get them mounted and balanced?

Was DT's $832 price mounted with their warranty and lifetime rotation and balancing?

I have a buddy with a tire changer so mounting will cost be $0
I am lifting the truck so I’ll be getting a 4 wheel alignment and balance will run me $150 at the best suspension shop in the area.

The DT price was just for the tire, tax, and shipping (think shipping is always included with them.)

I priced a couple places locally to include everything mount, balance, 2 wheel alignment, road hazard, and lifetime balance and rotation.
And they both were $1,100 and usually spot on with what I can do buying online and getting mounted and aligned but this Amazon deal was pretty cheap so really hard to beat.

Wal-Mart (flame suit on) is actually the best if you buy online and want them installed yourself.
They charge $13 a wheel for a mount and valve stem
$25 a wheel for mount, valve stem, lifetime balance and rotation, free flat repairs. If you buy the tires from them I think it is $15 a tire and includes road hazard.
I do wish Walmart did alignments so you don’t have to take it to a second shop. I have had WalMart do lots of tires with zero issues.
Sams charges the same price but you can’t carry in tires. The other plus is that Sams and Walmart’s are pretty much everywhere and open Sunday so getting a tire fixed when traveling is easy.
I’ll probably jinx myself here but I have never paid for road hazard nor have I ever had a tire that was not repairable.

I have a lifetime powertrain warranty on my truck so all the scheduled maintenance has to be done by an ASE certified shop Roll Eyes so I get my oil changed every 5k and they always have a coupon for the Works for $25 or $35 and it includes balance and rotation so not having that included with tire purchase is no big deal.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Curious on this as well. I've typically run BFG All-Terrains on our trucks and SUV's. I've been happy with the set of KO2's on my 2015 F-150. My only complaint is that they kind of suck in the rain, very easy to break tractions. Ice they're ok and snowpack they're great.

Just made a trade for a 2019 F-150. Unlike y 2013 that came with OEM series all season tires, this one at least has LT rated Goodyear Wranglers on it. Depending how they do in snow & ice I may be looking to swap them out once winter comes. I do not have high hopes for them.

I have heard a lot of balancing issues here recently with the KO2s which is part of the reason I started to look elsewhere as KO2s were my original plan.

As for those OEM Goodyears GET RID OF THEM they are awful in the snow. That is what is currently on my Expedition. Regular driving they are smooth and quiet rain traction is not very good, and snow traction is horrible. We did not get much snow this year but they absolutely sucked. I had to be in 4wd many times when I should not have been with a good tire.
These are new as the dealer put them on new when I purchased the truck last year.

————————————————

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wal-Mart (flame suit on) is actually the best if you buy online and want them installed yourself.
They charge $13 a wheel for a mount and valve stem
$25 a wheel for mount, valve stem, lifetime balance and rotation, free flat repairs. If you buy the tires from them I think it is $15 a tire and includes road hazard.
I do wish Walmart did alignments so you don’t have to take it to a second shop. I have had WalMart do lots of tires with zero issues.
Sams charges the same price but you can’t carry in tires. The other plus is that Sams and Walmart’s are pretty much everywhere and open Sunday so getting a tire fixed when traveling is easy.

I completely agree with you on Sam's and Walmart. I prefer the Sam's nearby (I think they are more attentive and generally more customer friendly) but I found out the hard way that you can’t carry in tires.

I usually buy 2 at a time rather than 4 because I'm not very good at making the time to have them rotated. So they wear unevenly.

I wanted 2 tires to match the 2 I previously bought at Sams. They were cheaper at Walmart, so I bought them on their website and made an appointment at Sams. When I got there with my tires, they wouldn't install them. They said go to Walmart since you bought them there. I said that's ridiculous since Sam's and Walmart are the same parent company. The manager agreed, but said that was the policy. So I went to Walmart for the installation. It took extra time, but worked out OK.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to walmart for a tire install and came away happy. Good service at a good price atleast at the one I went to.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wow, these are a really good looking tire!!!!

UPS Man did me a solid and hid them behind the Expedition and did not put them on the porch. Granted it was less work for him then huffing them a bit more to the porch.
I also found it funny Amazon just slapped the UPS shipping sticker right on the tire. Last tires I ordered were from Tire Rack and they put a piece of cardboard on top and bottom then wrapped it in plastic.
Boy am I stoked to get these mounted up!!! Won’t fit in the current state. She’ll be getting a 2” lift front and rear. Have all the parts but the front struts. There is a 4wd shop in Louisville that has the best price I have found so hope to get there next week.
Then if weather is good the following week I’ll get her all buttoned up.
I have the factory transfer case skid plate from the SSV model to install and have an aftermarket transmission/exhaust skid plate on the way. The factory transmission skid plate is that felt covered fiber crap that is more for aerodynamics than protection.
The factory SSV fuel tank skid is thick plastic and $240. I am pretty certain I can have an aluminum pan made for that if not less. Needs to be for weight savings as it mounts to studs on the fuel tank straps.
This should be a pretty fun rig once I am finished with it.

————————————————

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I put the Wildpeak on my truck about 1.5-2 years ago. You're going to be surprised how quiet they are compared to other aggressive tires.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I put the Wildpeak on my truck about 1.5-2 years ago. You're going to be surprised how quiet they are compared to other aggressive tires.

I keep hearing this amongst other things.
I have yet to come across a single bad review of any sort.
My Z71 will need tires by summers end, sure sounds like I’ll be getting a set for it too.

————————————————

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've got a set coming tomorrow for my Ridgeline and they will be installed Friday. Glad you started this thread Black as I had no idea Amazon sold tires. Cool

Amazon does have a killer deal and they look like great tires. I normally just pay the price and buy Michelin but they have discontinued the LTX M/S that I like and I'm a sucker for a bargain.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What size tire did you go with? Please post pics once installed. That little pickup in the new generation sure is growing on me.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Got the lift on last week and the tires. Still needed some adjustments with the lift so I did not drive that much.
The tires while noisier than the C load HT tire that was on there and the are an E load, they are pretty quiet. Windows up and the radio at a normal volume there is no hearing them.
Windows down there is a slight hum that was not there before but not the awful hum of mud tires or ATs of old.
Lots of rain last week and they gave no issues. I did not push them much though as the suspension was not fully tweaked. Finished up the suspension myself today and getting an alignment tomorrow.
The truck sat for four days and the initial drive this morning you could feel flat spots but they resolved after a few minutes of driving.
Good looking tire. Hopefully I’ll hit some light trails next week.

————————————————

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Thread revival....
You guys that bought WildPeaks, did you get the P or LT tire?

4ply vs 10ply I think

Getting ready to put a level kit and 265/75/16s on the Tacoma and wondering if the 10ply is really that quiet, or if everyone is basing that on the P Rated

I have Cooper AT3s on my beater Chevy full size, in LT 10 ply
They aren’t too bad on the highway

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2914 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post