SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone made the jump to Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws? (UPDATE: Installed and a week of driving!!)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone made the jump to Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws? (UPDATE: Installed and a week of driving!!) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have been a Yokohama Geolander A/TS fan for quite some time. I have had 3 sets on 2 different vehicles and have the Geolander G055 H/T on my wife's Highlander. All have performed tremendously in all weather and have had great longevity.
I convinced my father in law to get a set a couple years back for his Tundra and man am I eating it for that one. They absolutely suck and got to reading and I guess they have made some changes and there seems to be a lot of complaints.
Time for some new tires for both my Z71 and Expedition and am wanting something a bit more aggressive for both. The natural choice a more aggressive AT but not serious MT has been the BFG AT/Ko2s. But it really seems that the Nitto Ridge Grappler and Falken Wildpeak have changed the game quite a bit especially with the price point of the Wildpeak. I have a buddy running them and is very happy. All the reviews on Amazon, Tire rack, and Discount Tire Direct are extremely positive and really can't find a negative review.
They are supposed to be quiet, have a 55K mileage warranty, excellent traction in all conditions, with quite the aggressive tread pattern and sidewall I am looking for.
A couple of off road magazine reviews were also glowing (but I always take those with a grain of salt since most mags like that are just ads anyway).

Anyone have first hand experience? I thought for sure I would be buying BFGs but that is looking far less likely.
My understanding is that Falken is part of Sumitomo and made in Japan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, these are great tires. My primary comparison is to the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac which is an excellent tire but has some shortcomings.
Those two, and the new Nitto Ridge Grappler (no snow rating), comprise the newer "hybrid-terrain" tire category (more aggressive than all-terrain but not quite a MT) although Im sure there are a couple others in the category I just haven't heard of.

I did a lot of tire research as I used to manage the vehicle maintenance for a Sheriffs Office. I've run them on my personal rig as well as using them as fleet tires on LE search and rescue and off-road patrol rigs.

I used them in place of the Goodyear Duratrac tires I was using before for both purposes. They are one of the only comparable tires in the "hybrid-terrain" category that have the triple peak snow rating which is important for my purposes.

Compared to the Duratrac they are much quieter on road and are lasting much longer. On the work trucks I could burn through a set of Duratracs in less than a year, the Wildpeaks were far superior. They perform almost equally well in snow and just as well in all other conditions that Ive tried including sharp volcanic rocks out here that can be hard on sidewalls.

I really don't think you can go wrong.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3504 | Registered: September 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Cooper AT3 are a bit more aggressive than some and I love mine. Might be worth a look.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
Cooper AT3 are a bit more aggressive than some and I love mine. Might be worth a look.

I had Cooper AT3 and they were a very good tire but they are nowhere near as aggressive as the Wildpeak or Duratrac or Ridge Grappler.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I did not realize the Ridge Grapplers were not snow rated.

Heard good things about the Coopers as well but they are $54 more a tire in the comparable E load rating.

————————————————

Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I did not realize the Ridge Grapplers were not snow rated.

Heard good things about the Coopers as well but they are $54 more a tire in the comparable E load rating.

SUV/Truck tires are $$$$$, look into buying 315/30/19 performance summer or winter tires for a Porsche 911.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
My brother has been running the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws on his 4Runner for the past two years. He has had no complaints. I picked up a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT for my 4Runner, and absolutely love them. I've purchased Nokian tires for two other vehicles, and my mothers RAV4.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ptruck:
My brother has been running the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws on his 4Runner for the past two years. He has had no complaints. I picked up a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT for my 4Runner, and absolutely love them. I've purchased Nokian tires for two other vehicles, and my mothers RAV4.

I have NT-01's for my track tires. Shed rubber and look like h#ll, but hookup great.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

I looked at the Nokians but the Rotiiva is not as aggressive as I am looking for and the RockProofs aren’t snow rated.
Plus I have yet to read a review stating they were quiet and since 90% is on pavement for me road noise is a bit of a factor.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I went from Yokohama Geolanders to the Falkens on my GMC 2500 HD. No complaints and I’ve put quite a few miles on them in the past 10 months.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Reading with interest. What would be additional useful info is how well they handle / function off pavement and off road. Wet, slick conditions. Muddy conditions. Rough conditions. Conditions when you dont care at all about treadlife but only safety and function. Including wet highways.

I went with K02 and no complaints yet but not sure they are stellar either. Especially for the cost. But still my first truck and first set of tires.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Cant stand a tire that slicks over as soon as you hit a mud puddle like Wranglers do.

I was fairly happy with a set of Future Dakota RTV on my 4x4 truck mostly because they were wider in tread width (for better floatation) than other brands of the same size.

I now run
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fede...iar=images&ia=images

Federal Couragia M/T Mud-Terrain are noisy and even very noisy if not rotated every 3 or 4 K miles. But I love them off road witch was a main concern for my truck that doesn't see a lot of hi-way use.. maybe 5k a year total.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Reading with interest. What would be additional useful info is how well they handle / function off pavement and off road. Wet, slick conditions. Muddy conditions. Rough conditions. Conditions when you dont care at all about treadlife but only safety and function. Including wet highways.

I went with K02 and no complaints yet but not sure they are stellar either. Especially for the cost. But still my first truck and first set of tires.

Wet highway is great. Off-road here is either dry with lots of lava rocks or snow, there is no wet muddy season. But in both those conditions they have been great...

posted Hide Post
YES!

I made the jump a year and a half ago. I went in to buy BFG ATs for my company truck, but instead took the advice of another customer in the shop. I absolutely couldn't be happier. They ride nice and smooth on the highway, and are nice and grippy for off-road.

More than 80 percent of my mileage is off-road. I drive about 70 miles a day on soft sand, cow pastures, and swampy trails. The Falkens have worked so well for me, most all of the company has replaced their BFGs with the Falkens. They're that good. I always had trouble with the BFGs slicking up on wet grass and muck soil.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Looks like I’ll be going with the Wild Peaks

————————————————

Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
Not to give you another tire option, but what about the General Grabber ATX?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to give you another tire option, but what about the General Grabber ATX?

Read decent things about those as well but are $65 more a tire and with all I am reading and folks have backed up here in regard to the Falkens. Tough not to move on them.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I have the AT3 on my Tundra and they have been very good so far. I have about 12k miles on them and have been through 2 winters. They have done very well in the snow. I do not do any off roading.

The tundra has been eating tires and usually need replaced around 16k. So far the At3 are looking to last me over 20k. So im happy. Cant beat the price either.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I remember one reason I didn’t get the Falken which is not relevant here. It wasn’t sold at the tire store I usually patronize.

I also remember looking closely at the Conti TerrainContact but it didn’t have enough history yet. I’ll probably look at them closely next time if they continue to get favorable reviews.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

Not as aggressive as what you are looking for, Black92LX, but these road tires are pretty cheap right now at Walmart:

Kumho Crugen HT51

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kum...6-112T-Tire/52129624

I was thinking about them for the 4Runner but have never had Kumho so I don't know...
Is the Kumho Crugen any good?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post