SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bail bondsman shoots, kills fleeing client. Someone tell me how this is justifiable
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bail bondsman shoots, kills fleeing client. Someone tell me how this is justifiable Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
She wanted to cuff him for some reason, "to talk", she said. He didn't want to be cuffed. He couldn't get out through the locked door so he tried to flee out the window, and she shot him in the back. Now, just how in the world is this justifiable?
I feel sorry for her son, poor kid. What's he doing in there with a man she feels the need to restrain just to talk to? You can hear his anguish. That's gonna mark him for life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
This was about 2 hours from me. Long trial on this one. Basically, it was her and her kids word against the dead guy. This video did not come out until after she had been found not guilty.

Last I heard, they are looking at charging the son for evidence tampering or perjury for lying in court. As for the bondsman, shes fooked in civil court. Family of the deceased already has said they are bringing a civil suit.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Absent the video, what claim did she make for justification for killing someone?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Absent the video, what claim did she make for justification for killing someone?

Her claim was she was trying to revoke his bond and he attempted to over power her and take her weapon, so she fired on him

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She may have tried to revoke his bond, but all he did was try to flee the premises. Looks like murder to me.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yep, she murdered the man.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I was looking up some links to the news story and one local news has reported that the video wasn't released until after the trial, and one says it was shown to the jury and then they acquitted her. I'll have to do some more looking to be sure, but I know it's really caused some hell around there.

She was actually charged with Murder, but they returned with a not guilty verdict.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks like murder to me as well. So you withhold evidence just to let it see the light of day after the trial? I don't think we are dealing with the smartest people here.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Looks like murder to me. Maybe they convinced the jury it wasn’t premeditated, and didn’t have a lesser murder charge as an option?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
So the kid will end up paying the price for his murdering mom. He shouldn't have lied in court but I can see how a mom could pressure him in to lying.

I wonder if he released the video?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark_a,

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
That was cold.

Look at her behavior during and after the shot.

Cold blooded.

She shouldn't be walking the streets.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Damn. There is no question, that's straight murder.

He was no threat, making no action to hurt her or her son, he just wanted out. He wasn't armed, wasn't hostile, and was shot running away.

There is no justification at all, none.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.newsweek.com/watch-...uitted-murder-849959

The incident unfolded in August 2017 when agent Chasity Dawn Carey was meeting with the man, who was out on bail during a burglary case, in her Stillwater, Oklahoma, office. She and her 19-year-old son Justin Henderson were trying to take the client, 38-year-old Brandon James Williams, back into custody. The scene was captured on a GoPro camera Henderson had set up in a corner before the meeting.

The video shows Carey talking to Williams, then ordering him to stand against a wall and turn around as Henderson approaches with handcuffs.

“What do you mean?” Williams said. “What’s going on here?”

Carey responded that she will “sit and talk” to the man while he is handcuffed and he argues, telling her not to put her hands on him and moves away.

Williams moves out of frame, behind Carey’s desk, and a window curtain is swung outward. The viewer cannot see the victim or what he is doing as he said, “What are you doing this to me for?” Carey has reached into a desk drawer and pulled out a gun, which she then fires once.

Carey, 42, was charged with first degree murder after the shooting but was acquitted on March 9, according to The Oklahoman. In her testimony, Carey claimed self-defense and said Williams tried to get her gun before heading out the window of her office. She beat him to it and took the shot as he was going through that window.

Williams was hit in the back and died.

His family is expected to sue Carey in civil court, KOKH reported.

Officials released the video to the public after the criminal trial had concluded; jurors had seen the video during the trial.

A question over whether there was the intent to commit murder was said to have played a role in the jury’s verdict, the Stillwater News Press reported. A first degree murder charge is described as an intentional and premeditated act.

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
first degree murder charge

IANAL, but that seems to be where the prosecutor got greedy and screwed the pooch. Can't imagine she wouldn't have been convicted on an even slightly lesser charge. Nobody's going to find for premeditation on that unless being stupid counts.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
Jesus. That was hard to watch. Methinks this is one of those cases where if the DA had pushed a second degree charge instead of premeditated, she'd have been found guilty.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
How could a jury see this video and decide that was not murder in some degree?

Crazy.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Nothing justifiable about it. While probably not premeditated that bitch couldn't stand being told no so she shot him. Sad she was acquitted. I hope when the civil suit is done she is left with nothing but giving handjobs to meth heads to get by.

Her son knew she fucked up when she did it.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Bail bonds is a tough business.

How does that relationship, and the powers to arrest someone to return to jail, play into this? Can deadly force be used to effect a return to custody?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
here is an article before the video became public

http://newsok.com/article/5586...ting-death-of-client

9 mar 2018

Jurors Friday acquitted a Stillwater bail agent of first-degree murder in the August shooting death of one of her clients.

Chasity Dawn Carey let out a loud gasp as the “not guilty” verdict was announced. She then cried and hugged her attorneys.

Carey, 42, of Drumright, testified she shot the client, Brandon James Williams, 38, of Stillwater, at her office Aug. 9 in self-defense. She and her 19-year-old son were attempting to take Williams, who was free on bail, back into custody at the time.

“I was afraid he was going to shoot my son,” Carey told the Payne County jury. “I felt like we were going to be killed. … I've never been that scared before.”

Carey testified Williams attempted to grab her gun before fleeing out her office window. She said she beat Williams to the gun and turned to fire just as he was going out the window. She shot Williams in the back.

Prosecutors alleged Carey was not acting in self-defense but shot Williams after he was “no longer a threat.”

It's never OK to shoot someone in the back. … Where's the danger? Where was it?” First Assistant District Attorney Kevin Etherington said during closing arguments Friday.

A video of the shooting showed Carey grab the gun and fire at Williams after he was out of view of the camera. The video did not show Williams grab for the gun. Defense attorneys contended Williams was just out of view of the camera. The video also did not show a portion of the office where the window was located.

The day before the shooting, Williams texted Carey, “Gone to Florida,” police reported. After realizing Williams hadn't yet left and needed money for the trip, Carey came up with a ruse to meet up so she could take him back into custody, according to testimony.

As part of the plan, Carey's son texted Williams about purchasing his Ford Mustang. Williams had already given Carey the car as collateral for her posting his bond. Williams was accused in a burglary case.

Carey's son set up the GoPro camera in the office moments before Williams arrived on Aug. 9. When Williams walked into the office, he immediately sat down and began to talk about cars with Carey and her son.

After attempting to exit the locked door in the office, Williams moved over to the window, which was off camera behind Carey's desk. He raised a curtain and then moved off camera.

At this same time, Carey reached across the desk to grab her handgun out of a drawer. She then turned and shot toward the window holding the gun in both hands.

The bullet entered Williams' lower back and exited his upper chest, according to the state medical examiner. The wound was consistent with Williams being shot while bending over to go out the window.

After the shooting, Carey told investigators she and Williams struggled for the gun and he was shot. Police later arrested Carey after viewing the video and no struggle was seen.

During closing arguments, defense attorney Jarrod Stevenson told the jury, “What's not on the video is your reasonable doubt.”

After the verdict, Stevenson said, “The video only showed half of the shooting. It didn't show what Mr. Williams was doing and I think that's what the jury really focused on.”

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't like it, but there you have it.

The combination of the fact that it was not necessarily premeditated, which is required for 1st Degree Murder, and the fact that the action was off-camera, rendering it as "she-said/dead-guy-can't-say", was able to lead the jury to conclude that they couldn't find her guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Hopefully justice can be partially served during the subsequent civil suit, which requires a much lower burden of proof to be found responsible.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post