SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are the Triumph Bonneville, Scrambler and Thuxton fun bikes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Triumph Bonneville, Scrambler and Thuxton fun bikes? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Moto entheusists, what do you think about the older oil/air cooled (2000’s) Triumph Bonnie and its variants? Is it a fun bike? They are getting to be dang affordable.

I’ve been considering replacing my SV650S with a Triumph. I’ve found a few Thruxtons locally that look incredible. I probably put less than 200 miles on the SV last year. The main thing holding me back is that the SV has been my only 100% reliable bike and I feel like I’d regret selling my first sportbike.

Would you part with a clean low mile Candy copper SV650 for one of these? I’m considering one that looks just like this. It’s pretty close to the SV in power but looks like a more laid back ride which would be nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new ones are phenomenal. I have one of the new Bonneville variant and love it.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I've owned a 2003 and 2005 Bonneville America. Both were fun, comfortable bikes.

I just didn't like the maintenance on the chain drive.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I like the way they look but not sure I would actually want one as my reliable bike. However if you only put 200 miles on your bike last year it’s really not like it will leave you strandsed on a cross county trip. I say go for it because sometimes you just have to scratch an itch. I have been looking at 2001-2005 BMW R1100S’s and dirt bikes like WR 450’s and KTM 350-450’s. That’s been my itch the last year.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The newer triumph bikes are very reliable with a pretty wide service interval schedule. 10,000 miles between service.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can add is that I had a T140 750cc Bonneville in the early 70's and I loved that thing. It required a lot of tinkering and maintenance to keep it running smoothly and reliably but hey, it was the 70's. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything I've read about the new Triumphs has been positive so I don't think you'll have any issues. If your current bike is paid for theres nothing wrong with having 2 motorcycle's.

Posts: 1623 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Triumph vertical twins are some of the most beautiful motorcycles ever built. And the older ones (1960s and 70s) also sounded great! I know those older ones suffered with bad electrics (Lucas) but hopefully that has been corrected in the later models. They still look good!

My first real rides (as a passenger) on a motorcycle were in 1967 on a 650 Bonneville--I had befriended a guy at my apartment complex who had one and he took me for rides. Fabulous!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Dont think I would let go of the SV. Versatile bike with proven reliability and huge aftermarket.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a ‘13 Bonneville SE that is a hoot to ride and has been totally bulletproof. However, I am jonesing for a Thruxton R. They are a blast and a capable sporting bike. I like the newer style ones over the older ones that look more like a Bonnie.

If I was to get a Scrambler it would probably be a Ducati. I have not heard anything bad about Triumph’s Scrambler just prefer Ducati’s.

Your SV is a great bike but, there is something about a Triumph, Ducati, or even a Moto Guzzi that sparks something special over a Suzuki for me..

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My Triumph leaked oil about as fast as I could pour it in.

If your wanting a new bike, get an adventure bike.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I test rode an ‘05 Bonnie. I had expected a different riding experience. Maybe the Thruxton is more fun, but the Bonnie was too comfortable, quiet, and smooth for me. It felt long, narrow and a bit underpowered. I’d still like one if I had the room.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I had a 70 bonnie, they are finicky as a Diva and the carbs have to be perfect.
They are a mutha to start cold. BUT when it ran it was a rocket
I beat a hemi cuda in a 1/4 mile drag race.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I love my Indian and lust after a Bonnie. If I can make more time to ride I'll add one to the garage.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit of a Triumph nut. I own 15 650CC Trumpets from 1960-1969, but also 4 of the air cooled new Triumphs:
2006 Scrambler, 2007 T100 Bonneville, 2009 T100 Bonneville and a 2009 50th Anniversary (s/n 327) Bonneville. All great bikes, and the new ones don't drip oil and have an electric starter.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely great bikes-I routinely ride with some guys that have newer models. Awesome bikes, if I could afford a second bike I’d get a Scrambler in a NY minute. It’d be a fun compliment to my Road King.

In 1976 I had a’67 Bonnie-pretty beat up when I got it but still have a few fond memories of it-despite being stranded a time or two lol.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How is the Scramblers 270° crank compared to the Bonnie’s 360°? It’s the only major difference I could find. Scramblers are a bit harder to find but I do like the different sound of the 270° crank....it sounds like a V-twin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
How is the Scramblers 270° crank compared to the Bonnie’s 360°? It’s the only major difference I could find. Scramblers are a bit harder to find but I do like the different sound of the 270° crank....it sounds like a V-twin.

The 270* motors have more bottom end torque, and rev a bit slower. The cam grind on the 270 is a little milder. I prefer the 360* crank and cams for the sound, but I've been riding 360* Triumphs since 1965.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I've done many demo rides on recent Bonnevilles, Thruxtons, and Scramblers. ( One of the benefits of Bike Week in Daytona Beach.) I helped put 500 breakin miles on a Bonneville to get it ready for magazine writers trials, too.
Yes, they are fun bikes!

Not what you asked, but the new Royal Enfields got a glowing writeup in RoadRacingWorld.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RichardC,

How did you like the power delivery, torque and mid range- top end power of the Bonnie verses the Scrambler?

I’m leaning towards a Thrux but the 270° crank Scrambler is intriguing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~