Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHP process Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I visited OR and was hoping to apply for a CHP.

While it's not clear why OR doesn't honor permits from other states, I appreciate that some counties allow for out of state applications.

So, I downloaded an application, filled it out, emailed an inquiry to check if an appointment was required even though that application states that they are only accepted from 9-noon on Tues and Thursday.

Never got a response to my email.

I make some special arrangements and cancel some fun things just so I can submit my application there by noon.

Yes. As you guessed, I arrived and then they tell me I need an appointment and can't do one ad hoc even though it's in the scheduled time and there doesn't seem to be any appointments at the moment. Office is quiet.

While appreciative that they offer out of state permits, is it that hard to respond to an email even if it takes a week or two? Or post the process online with the application? Or clearly state on the application that appointments are required - what the fuck does it mean that applications are only accepted from 9-11 on Tuesday and Thursday?

So now, my next trip will also be without carry. Need to find a county near Portland that will provide out of state permits. I frequent that area more so hopefully that will make it easier to apply.

Semi-grateful but still a little pissed.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Well you made me look up my county info to see if I could help and Lane requires residency.

Good luck with your quest.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I live in WA and have to deal with the same thing. Every time I have to renew in OR I make an appointment and then verify it the day before. I always called them a talked to someone. Better response. Multnomah County Sheriff is the one to go through for out of state permits. I have family there and visit frequently and they were ok with that.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Lesson learned.

I just didn't want to bother them for something that seemed obvious on the application. But the application was wrong Smile

I'll do a search on counties later. And phone for every correspondence now.

UT was incredibly easy.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm figuring that UT has a lower percentage of GDCs trying to crap on the 2nd amendment.

There are some States that I just consider to not be part of the USA. I won't be going there.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
OR may use the same rationale for not recognizing other states' permits as your and my home state does. Frown At least they (in some counties) issue to non-residents from neighboring states. Additionally, if you own property in OR they treat you as a resident (in Polk county anyway).

There used to be someone from OR who would help folks out on his periodic trips from OR into CA. There were threads about this on the CalCCW forum, but that forum seems to be shutdown.

Edited to fix typo: s/form/from/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6914 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
what the fuck does it mean that applications are only accepted from 9-11 on Tuesday and Thursday?

It means that they're not interested in issuing any permits, and fuck your rights.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post