SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Much Money Do You Save Per Month?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Much Money Do You Save Per Month? Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
Not counting what gets contributed to your retirement accounts. I'm talking earned money that you put away into an accessible savings account or under the mattress. This assumes you are indeed working and not unemployed or retired.

I understand the sensitivity of this thread so I don't expect a lot of detailed comments but if you could vote that'd be great.

Question:
How much money do you save each month?

Choices:
$0
$1-249
$250-$500
$501-$1,000
$1,000+

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fixed income here so no actual monthly savings. I keep a small emergency fund.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
We direct deposit $200 from each paycheck to a separate money market account at an online bank. this is a great account because we don't see it often and it is not as easy to get at. We also put at least $100 in our regular savings account.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Would the poll be more useful to you if the options were indicated as a percentage of gross annual or monthly income?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
At the moment, zero.

When ever I rack up debt (like after a big move) I focus fire all disposable income on said debts until I'm not paying someone for the privilege of having bought something.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
10%.

I figure that if 10% is good enough for God, then it's good enough for me.

Have lived by that for over 40 years now.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have abut 10% of my net put into a savings acct.

6% of gross= mandatory retirement contribution
10% of gross into 401k

20%+ of my gross to my ex wife Mad Mad Mad

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Would the poll be more useful to you if the options were indicated as a percentage of gross annual or monthly income?

It could be but these particular numbers will do the job.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Zero.

I am paying off debt currently which won't be completed until next summer.

After I pay the home repair/other debt the answer will be zero.

I keep a few weeks worth of cash on hand, the rest will go either more home repairs/upgrades or retirement. I don't like having cash it can't earn money (I don't consider 1% a return as it's -1% real growth).

I finance most major purchases because I have a 820+ credit score I always qualify for zero interest. If not offered I buy with CC then flip the money to zero interest card and pay the 2-3% transfer fee and pay debt before the 18 no zero interest is up.

If it's not tax deferred account earning decent interest then I spend it. If I ever found myself in a position that I earned more than I need I'd max out all retirement, then Roth, then cash value life insurance. I have yet to ever get to the point where I exceeded that. If I did it would go into regular mutual fund, not savings. I don't even have a savings account, just a second checking account.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
this

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
10% of each paycheck.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will say this : save / invest as much as you can in your 20s and 30s.

That is the money that will 'pay off' once you get into your 50s / 60s.

Plus saving gets tougher once the kids hit high school / college age... They don't want GI Joes or Barbies anymore.

They want club sports, cars, help with college tuition, rent, cell phones, etc.

God Bless them... Big Grin

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I don't do it monthly. I do 2 lump sums. And it is kind of our whatever/fun fund for the year.
I get a 120 hour payout each February for the sick time I can't carry over and then do a 2nd with the tax return.
So I guess if I did pay it monthly instead of the lump sums probably looking about $500 a month currently but since the majority of it is based upon my hourly rate that goes up each year.

All the funds from the paycheck get allocated.
Bills
3 kids college funds
Mortgage (pay as much as possible each month)
1 car payment (pay as much as possible each month)
Retirements

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
I try to keep 3-6 months of expenses in cash. Everything else is invested in qualified or taxable retirement accounts.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was dating I would keep $15-20k in the bank. Now, I am constantly going into debt, breaking even, going back into debt, ect. I am still putting away 18% into a 401k, own 2 out of 3 cars, and already have $79k in equity on my house. I also have a fair amount in pew pew, ammunition, mags, jewelry, silver and gold. Basically, I am asset rich, cash poor.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
No idea. Wife (being the good German hausfrau that she is, does all the finances. She has done it since 1972 when I decided to go to college and continue to work 60+ hours per week.

About all I know about our finances is that when I want to withdraw money from the credit union we have several savings accounts, and a few IRAs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emergency fund is already in place so it all goes to expenses and retirement.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Right now it's a house and two car payments. There is just no feeling like finally being debt free.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
this

This poll is to see how many save $12,000 or more per year. Who saves nothing. Who saves somewhere in between.

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am retired now, and fortunately able to save 50% of income.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post