SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Down in Texas again, had real chili....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down in Texas again, had real chili.... Login/Join 
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted
...no beans.

Visiting for NFPA 1081 Industrial Brigade Leader, as well as the Exxon Corporate Fire School @ TEEX, still new places to try. Anyone have any favorites in College Station?

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I haven't made it there yet, but I've heard good things about the BBQ at Fargo's in Bryan. It's made the Top 50 list in Texas.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas. You ate Texas chili? We won't ask you to prove your courage in any other way.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you want. Old standbys - Dixie Chicken, Freebirds, Layne's, Koppe Bridge, Chicken Oil Co... I haven't had Fargo's yet.

Posts: 295 | Location: TX | Registered: January 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
...no beans.

Heathen.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
...no beans.

There is no other kind.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
...no beans.

There is no other kind.

Amen. Beans are for the weak.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
BTW, the chili wasn't spicy unless it burns twice Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
It definitely wasn't spicy, but it sure was good! This is not to say I don't like kidney beans in my chilli (like this my entire life!), but I think without beans was the winner.

I'll check out Fargos, top 50 is no easy feat and I'm craving some good BBQ.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Koppe Bridge for burgers.
Fargo's for bbq.
Guadalajara in downtown Bryan for Tex-Mex.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Besides "death and taxes", can we add "beans vs no beans" in any chili discussion in Sigforum?
Right about now, someone usually mentions Succotash. Big Grin

And I don't mind some beans in my chili. Don't be hatin'.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I love chili either way, as long as it's hot.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
...no beans.

So you had pasta meat sauce in a bowl? Razz

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Get a Freddy Burger and fries at the Dixie Chicken with a Shiner Bock. Then check out a set of dominoes, play a pick-up game of 42 and keep score on the table with a piece of chalk. Good music and good times!

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
...no beans.
Hey, they do a lot of weird things in Texas. Eating condiments as a main dish just happens to be one of them.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
...no beans.
Hey, they do a lot of weird things in Texas. Eating condiments as a main dish just happens to be one of them.

If your chili has the same consistency and/or ingredients as your pasta sauce, you're doing at least one of them wrong. I've been to Cincinnati and what they do to chili there just ain't right.
Wink

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Surefire

Glad to read you are in Aggieland!

Best college town in Texas, maybe the world.

BTW A&M does have a hockey team but season likely over.

You are visiting in a good time of year too, will start to get warm pretty soon.

Chicken oil company is good for a burger.
There is also a Lupe's Tortilla at East gate for Fajitas!!

Welcome again to Aggie Land,
HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
BTW, the chili wasn't spicy unless it burns twice Wink

If it doesn't cure constipation, it isn't real chili.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I maybe in the minority but I like the beans as I think it gives a "whole" meal,kind of vibe. I also like it with lots of onions and peppers. This thread is making me want to make some chili tonight.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Besides "death and taxes", can we add "beans vs no beans" in any chili discussion in Sigforum?
Right about now, someone usually mentions Succotash. Big Grin

And I don't mind some beans in my chili. Don't be hatin'.
JALLEN is responsible for that succotash remark.. Big Grin. Only he could come forth with such a classic name. Kidney beans don't even compare to black beans in chili.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post