SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hockey Questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hockey Questions Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So after this last season of football and the manner which the Chargers left San Diego, wife and I have decided to start following hockey.

She went to her first game - took her to a Gulls game. A couple questions:

When did they put second ref onto the ice?

Why don't fans bang on the glass anymore when the opposing player is pushed up against it?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
So after this last season of football and the manner which the Chargers left San Diego, wife and I have decided to start following hockey.

Why don't fans bang on the glass anymore when the opposing player is pushed up against it?

The second Ref was added quite a few years ago. However it doesn't always mean better control over the game.

Some arenas have banned banging on the glass. Seamless glass doesn't take it as well. If you knew how easy it was to break one, and how heavy they are, you wouldn't bang on them either.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. About seven years ago or so.

2. They do in many places. Maybe your fans are more polite.

Wow after googling the second ref was 16 years ago. Time flies.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Second ref. was added years ago. Guess would be 5 but I really don't remember the year.

We still bang on the glass around here.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Need to watch great film called Slapshot to get better understanding of the sport. That would be a good start for you, or move to Canada.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

One thing the wife noted was the game is a bit like basketball.

(Side note: her dad was deaf and sign language is the wife's first language - English is her second, she was signing basketball games on TV from the age of 5 or 6 years old.)

She loved the game and, before we arrived, understood offsides and icing. I figured if a first timer understood that, they could catch up on the rest.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I really think that hockey is the best sport when you see it live. It is hard to get a true sense of it on tv.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The finer points of hockey

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
I really think that hockey is the best sport when you see it live. It is hard to get a true sense of it on tv.
Totally agree on both accounts.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would always recommend that first time hockey watchers sit as high up as possible and as close to center ice as possible. That is really the best vantage point to actually see the game develop.

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Need to watch great film called Slapshot to get better understanding of the sport. That would be a good start for you, or move to Canada.

I love that movie! 70s classic. The Hanson brothers are hilarious.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
I would always recommend that first time hockey watchers sit as high up as possible and as close to center ice as possible. That is really the best vantage point to actually see the game develop.

Lol - exactly where I got our seats.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:

Lol - exactly where I got our seats.

Yeah it helps that they are usually cheaper too!

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Seeing games live really is the best way to learn the game.

I like high up at either end, I can really see how the plays happen (zone breakouts, players cycling, etc.)

Old time hockey. Gordie!

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
It is a fantastic sport and, as others have said, it is much better live - although with higher definition - wides screen TVs it is much better now than it used to be.

I grew up in Southern Illinois where basketball is king. I knew nothing about hockey when I went to college in Minnesota.

The whole state shuts down during the high school hockey playoffs. You go into any retail shop and there would be a TV on with the games.

And the hockey was incredible. Just fantastic. Really came to love the game while I was there.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wow, can't believe no one covered this yet?

Pro tip! Get your last beer (or two) before the end of second intermission.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hockey is simply the greatest sport in the world. God invented all other sports for those that aren't athletic enough to learn how to skate. Razz

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post