SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World Cup 2018...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Cup 2018... Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted
The World Cup is about to start.

I'm disappointed that the USA did not qualify but I'm looking forward to the tournament.

Usually I would say go USA!!! Frown

Who's going to win this Year ?

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3452 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
With all due respect, my friend, no civilized country cares. Soccer is the sport of the utmost imbecile crowds. It rewards thuggery more than football, basketball and rugby combined. Look at the countries which dominate the sport: all sub-standard bleep-holes.

This former Brazilian could not care less. And wishes no one does.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It's too easy to say Brazil, and it may be a little too early to pick someone else (like Germany). All I know is that Japan got hosed in the group selection.

Has anyone heard how Mexico's team has been doing lately? I still dream of Estadio Azteca in flames.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:
With all due respect, my friend, no civilized country cares. Soccer is the sport of the utmost imbecile crowds. It rewards thuggery more than football, basketball and rugby combined. Look at the countries which dominate the sport: all sub-standard bleep-holes.

OK Roll Eyes

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3452 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
This former Brazilian could not care less.

Isn't it, like, against the law to be Brazilian--former or not--and not a soccer fan?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18016 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
quote:

OK Roll Eyes

Hmm, Confused .

Will be glad to get it started, and hope Russia loses everything- including coin flips. For me, I think Belgium is the underdog to worry, but I think Le Bleu will pull it through.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

OK Roll Eyes

At least he was respectful.

It's less exciting with the USA not qualifying, but I played soccer growing up and I'm looking forward to it.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9664 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I find soccer nearly impossible to watch. Men’s soccer primarily.

Too many prima donnas, too much corruption, the fan base and related violence is a problem. And the flops. The incessant flopping.

The sad part is I played youth soccer at a high level and greatly enjoyed the game. I suppose I could have easily attained a scholarship level at a good soccer school. Work and other things interfered eventually.

But yeah, pro soccer holds nothing for me. I’d rather watch hockey, baseball, or golf. Heck, I’d rather watch curling.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the countries which dominate the sport: all sub-standard bleep-holes.

Yeah, Germany, The Netherlands and the U.K., to name a few, are all sub-standard bleep-holes Roll Eyes

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25980 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Havent been following this year as ive been way to busy but rooting for croatia and poland. Both have thier problems.

I wouldnt be surprised if belgium stepped up with all the young guns .

Super excited to be able to watch it this year as i work from home!

Edit, looks like belgium has a tough group. Could be problematic.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:

Isn't it, like, against the law to be Brazilian--former or not--and not a soccer fan?

I’ll let this be my last “contribution” to this thread, lest I rain on the OP’s parade, and be labeled a debbie downer or something of the sort (in retrospect, I should not have posted here on the first place - so please accept my apologies, OP).

That being said, I’ll answer Orguss’ tongue-in-cheek question with something that did happen to me: one day I was waiting for a court session, in which an important case (for me) would be decided. Can’t recall whether it was the Superior Court of Justice (highest authority in federal laws) or the Federal Supreme Court (highest authority in constitutional cases), but it was one of the two. So here I am, constantly reloading my Internet browser, waiting for the session (which would be web-cast) to begin, when all of a sudden there comes the announcement that the ____ing tribunal had been adjourned due to the upcoming “Brazil v. Random Country” soccer match. Seriously.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for the world cup to begin. The favorite is Germany and although a few did not make it, i.e, the US, Italy, etc., it will nonetheless be exciting to watch.

Posts: 3688 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I’ve played futbol at a high level, come from a Latin American family with multiple professional and national players.

I echo Steyn’s comments - my kids will not play this abomination of a sport. It rewards exactly the wrong behavior, and society suffers as a whole.

I learned to play American football fairly late, and got my ass kicked regularly. Apart from the physical toll, it’s an amazing sport.

If I had to do it again, I’d play rugby in AnZac.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’ll let this be my last “contribution” to this thread, lest I rain on the OP’s parade, and be labeled a debbie downer or something of the sort (in retrospect, I should not have posted here on the first place - so please accept my apologies, OP).

That being said, I’ll answer Orguss’ tongue-in-cheek question with something that did happen to me: one day I was waiting for a court session, in which an important case (for me) would be decided. Can’t recall whether it was the Superior Court of Justice (highest authority in federal laws) or the Federal Supreme Court (highest authority in constitutional cases), but it was one of the two. So here I am, constantly reloading my Internet browser, waiting for the session (which would be web-cast) to begin, when all of a sudden there comes the announcement that the ____ing tribunal had been adjourned due to the upcoming “Brazil v. Random Country” soccer match. Seriously.

Accepted Smile

I knew there would be SIGForum folks who don't like Soccer. The same happens every time I post Soccer threads. Commie sport etc.

Similar type comments happened in my 2014 WC thread.

For me Soccer was my #1 sport. I played just about everything growing up. Baseball, Basketball, Football, wrestling, track and Soccer.

Played Soccer for over 30 years. Youth, High School, College and Semi Pro. Then I coached for about 20 years.

Now that I'm old Shooting has become my hobby Cool

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Accepted Smile

Thank you, sir.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I've got 20 bucks on the Argentines.

Posts: 8140 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
As the Official Resident Argie, I'm sorry to report that I've never cared for Football/Futbol/Soccer. It's quite fun to play with friends but bores the lights out of me watching others do it.
Nor do I understand why people that can barely write their names get payed insane sums to chase a ball, any type of balls, for a few years until they screw up their social life or get discarded by the following generation.
Quite aware that it is an accepted path of social promotion like box or similar fighting sports but still doesn't make much sense to me.

Must be lacking a gene or two or maybe overeducated for my own environment Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12079 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to watch some guys spend 90 minutes trying to score I'd take my buddies to a bar Wink

Ok now really, where (and when) I grew up in Boston soccer was THE sport to play. Football on Friday nights? Who cares. Wierd Texans do that stuff. From high school on down it was soccer soccer soccer. Personally I never played (2nd baseman here) but everyone I knew did. I still enjoy watching and the World Cup is exciting.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
USA is playing France right now.

Lucky to be 0-0
Wow 1-0 USA at half.
1-1 final. Not a bad result for playing in France.

We were out shot 20-2 but that's Soccer.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:

You have no business in this thread. Truly, with all due respect, go fuck yourself.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post