SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What a day!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
What a day!

no doubt. what's next ??
------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
Nice little run on RCL as they have secured new credit line for two years...

nice

i jumped in a bit early on RCL -- at $30 / share -- but I think they'll be fine long term

their CEO has been around for a long time so this isn't his first rodeo -- Financial Crisis, H1N1, etc.

I also got NCLH at around $7 / share so I'm up a bit on that for now.

I want to hold these for a few years and see what happens.

Hopefully this anomaly will pass in the next 6 months or so.

---------------------------------

Nice bump on NCLH!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
So what kind of crap high risk are these people investing in that are crying their retirement is down 50% or more, or their 401 is "GONE" or ?

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is 30 stocks... 30... out of almost 700,000 world wide.

The ones complaining about massive losses are the ones that have no idea about how the stock market actually works.

Exactly, you haven't lost money until you've actually sold the stock.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
RCL up another 20% pre-market...

I hit that too, last week. Was looking at CCL but they've been in a down trend for months.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I’ve been buying OIH (Vanguard Oil producers ETF) as oil prices have fallen, doubled my holdings yesterday. I’m not expecting a quick payout, but sometime in the next 10 years I figure oil will be a lot more expensive again. Plus I figure schulumberger and Halliburton (largest holdings in the ETF) can weather a couple year storm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with my Sysco @ 27.5 Smile

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the question is -- is the 'new normal' earnings reality already 'baked into' the market?

Or will we see another major series of drops when earnings season arrives and the earnings reports are abysmal?

personally i think most of its baked in already but we may see some lower levels when 'reality' hits.

maybe another broader -10% to -15% when the reality hits.

just a guess though -- I'm just a 'mom & pop' investor who reads the WSJ daily

----------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
the question is -- is the 'new normal' earnings reality already 'baked into' the market?

Or will we see another major series of drops when earnings season arrives and the earnings reports are abysmal?

personally i think most of its baked in already but we may see some lower levels when 'reality' hits.

maybe another broader -10% to -15% when the reality hits.

just a guess though -- I'm just a 'mom & pop' investor who reads the WSJ daily

----------------------------------

The market is rebounding now in anticipation of the $2 trillion stimulus package. However, it's not going to last. I think earnings for this quarter are already priced in. However, the way things are looking, most companies are going to have terrible earnings next quarter and the quarter after. Just heard from a large yacht builder (one of the largest in the Country), they just closed their plant today, for 30 days. It could be longer than 30 days......most companies are facing this. I don't think it will be until the 4th quarter that most companies start becoming somewhat normal and somewhat profitable again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

And I'm happy with mine at $28. Thanks to whoever first mentioned it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Based on today's trading, the 1 and 3 month US treasury bills now have negative yields - -.01% for the 1 month and -.03% for the 3 month. The 5 year note yields a whopping +.5%. You can lend your money to the government for 30 years for 1.342%

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Bye, bye, Boeing.

You could be right...

quote:
^^^ Yeah... but I wouldn't short it right now.
The risk is that it gets a bailout and jumps big, even if temporary.

BOOM: 167.15 up over 30% today.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) dropped below 400 today.
I covered my shorts.

Covered back on 3/17... thinking about going short Tesla again today @ ~560 ...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23944 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

And I'm happy with mine at $28. Thanks to whoever first mentioned it!

you're welcome! Smile

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank you, doublesharp, thank you!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:
RCL up another 20% pre-market...

I hit that too, last week. Was looking at CCL but they've been in a down trend for months.

Found out I was being furloughed last week, undefined length of time, so the $20k I had primed to dump into RCL got re-allocated to living expense...

Not. Happy.

Posts: 516 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Stocks Tumble Into Close As Bernie Sanders Threatens To Hold Up Coronavirus Package

Stocks tumbled into the bell after Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) became the latest lawmaker to threaten to hold up the coronavirus stimulus package "until stronger conditions are imposed on the $500 billion corporate welfare fund."

"Unless Senators Graham (R-SC), Sasse (R-NE) and Time Scott (R-SC) drop their anti-worker objections to fast-tracking the emergency coronavirus legislation, I am prepared to put a hold on this bill until stronger conditions are imposed on the $500 billion corporate welfare fund," Sanders said over Twitter.

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...fix-massive-drafting

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
Sanders is such a tool

---------------------------------

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Graham stated that there are incentives built into the package that makes it so that certain workers can make more money off of govt. than going back to work, feeling it would slow the economic comeback.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see Berkshire Hathaway's next 13F. They've got billions in cash waiting for opportunities like what we saw this month. I would be surprised if they didn't make some huge purchases.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post