SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
There looks to be some deals out there. Anyone purchasing?

The rebound is gonna be sick with Trump in office. Especially when he gets re-elected

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've been out of the market (meaning individual stocks and whatnot) for years now. For the first time in a long time I'm really thinking about getting back in.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a great deal of money in the market...and this is just a blip...but I do see some opportunities but most of my holdings are near or at their historical highs

my best holding (thanks to Jim Allen) was to get into Realty Income at about $18 a share Big Grin

not sure I want to add any new stock to that one even on a dip

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mess with individual stocks. Be consistent and choose mutual funds that have done 10% each year over the course of the last ten years and you will be set when it's time to retire without all the stress and drama of the inevitable ups and downs of the market.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
relevant thread ---

open to ideas

VTI -- Total Stock Mkt Idx ETF

there are some gas stocks yielding 8% now - XOM / RDS...

Realty Income fell a bunch today

Avis fell like 30% this week ...

Personally I think it will drop further as the virus spreads and the 'real' impact becomes known

right now its 'speculative' selling IMO -- the real panic selling is just starting

we shall see -- I think what happens tomorrow is important

if it stays in free fall its all bets are off

i'm buying indexes if it gets to 23,600 / 2700 / 7850 range

bought some F today at $6.95 --- 8% yield

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some cash in my 401K, I bought at what I thought was a good price, boy was I wrong.

Now I just wait it out, it'll come back.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I don't mess with individual stocks. Be consistent and choose mutual funds that have done 10% each year over the course of the last ten years and you will be set when it's time to retire without all the stress and drama of the inevitable ups and downs of the market.

Thanks! Great advice. Question for you...or anyone. Would buying a mutual fund the way the market is now be a good thing or bad thing?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about buying some more Ford once it hits bottom.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We haven't bottomed yet. Supply chain interruptions will make it impossible for companies to hit targets because they won't have either products to sell or components to make said products.

If you could time the market, you can make a killing. Only problem is recognizing bottom and getting in at exactly the right time.

Personally I'll keep DCAing into the broad market.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Thanks! Great advice. Question for you...or anyone. Would buying a mutual fund the way the market is now be a good thing or bad thing?
People tend to fall for the media over dramatization of everything which will drive the market down some more. I think I would sit tight for a little longer. Then start contributing in a consistent manner from here on out and don't worry about the ups and downs, you're in it for the long haul.

The saying goes that the only people who get hurt on the rollercoaster ride are those who jump off.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AAPL has taken a particularly big hit, which is stupid because every fucking person in china isn't going to die from this shit, so they will all be back making and buying phones in a month or two and the stock will be right back up. It does feel like a good time to buy, but only if the bottom doesn't keep dropping out. The question is when to jump in and just ride it out the rest of the way, up or down.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
My Roth and IRA are invested in growth stock mutual funds and will sit tight as I know it will go right back up. I don't mess with individual stocks.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I bought Shell (RDS.B) today for upwards of 8% dividend yield on cost.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dumb question, but how will you know when it hits bottom?

I'd like to buy a bunch at the bottom too.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
This media-hyped global pandemic is a flash in the pan. In 8 weeks no one will remember it and will have moved on to the next crisis.

Large investors are taking some money off the table but if your investment horizon is 5 - 10 years why worry about this hiccup.

The stock market is designed to make money. It will bounce back. It has no choice. More people die from the flu every year and it doesn't get to impact the market because it’s a contrived crisis.

Wait it out. Buy it you want or can but I think selling would not be wise.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

It’s whatever I think is bottom Big Grin

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

It’s whatever I think is bottom Big Grin

FWIW, XOM (Exon-Mobile) has hit a 15 year low too, and it has like a 7% dividend.

Disclaimer, I don't buy individual stocks since I'm an index fund kind of guy.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’m pissed that the media are hyping the threat of the Coronavirus, and that the Democrats are trying to take Trump down with it.
As I read today: “pandemic” is “panic” with “Dem” in the middle.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I’m pissed that the media are hyping the threat of the Coronavirus, and that the Democrats are trying to take Trump down with it.
As I read today: “pandemic” is “panic” with “Dem” in the middle.

Politicians will spin anything, anyway possible if it buys them a soundbite or nowadays a retweet, upvote, like, share, media attn, or whatever the kids are using these days.

Not changed since we've been founded. The real question is when will scare end, when will panic end. If you can time it perfect and get in between panic (speculation) and fears (results) then you are golden. Pundits an politicians are meaningless and insignificant in evaluation.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
You make your money when you buy - this is going to be a great opportunity to buy cheaply at some point.

I'm waiting for bigger bargains, personally. I think it is starting to sink in that the disease, and the reactions to the disease, are going to have a negative result on companies and economies. The former will probably result in a number of companies being forced to update their earnings forecasts down, and the latter may provoke unpredictable government/central bank actions.

Sometimes a 'correction' is just a bull market taking a deep breath before resuming the prior trend, but there seems more to it than that, this time. If the market had dropped 10% with no exogenous factor, things would be different. But there are real and tangible effects of contagion, fear, quarantines, viruses traveling at airline speeds, and long, complex logistics chains.

So, my free and unsolicited advice for those with cash, looking for bargains in the market, is to remain on the sidelines, for now, waiting for better bargains to come.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post