SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
And who’s this guy?

It's...Eric...Stober....from SLC.

I think he's wearing khakis. Razz

well pfffttt...fuck him. Razz

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eric.Stober.SLC:

I know I'm not part of your little sewing circle, but you have to admit that it is fun to watch someone like Alan get owned when his hypocrisy is pointed out to him. He went from *get the hell over" "the silly overreaction" to poor me and the "anxiety we [in my industry] feel today" inside of a day only because he realized that it may suddenly affect him. He is trying to backpedal and talk about the macro economic effect as opposed to his, but his earlier words betray his revision.

I haven't changed my tune one bit since the beginning of this overblown horseshit, you dickhead. My position is and has always been that the overreaction, panic, and fear to this virus will do far more lasting damage and create far more pain for people than the actual virus itself.

The oil markets are a separate issue and would have nosedived regardless of the pandemic. My comment in regards to that did not necessarily have anything to do with COVID-19.

Got it? Ya' shit-heeling, trout sniffer.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I know I'm not part of your little sewing circle, but you have to admit that it is fun to watch someone like Alan get owned when his hypocrisy is pointed out to him. He went from *get the hell over" "the silly overreaction" to poor me and the "anxiety we [in my industry] feel today" inside of a day only because he realized that it may suddenly affect him. He is trying to backpedal and talk about the macro economic effect as opposed to his, but his earlier words betray his revision.

I haven't changed my tune one bit since the beginning of this overblown horseshit, you dickhead. My position is and has always been that the overreaction, panic, and fear to this virus will do far more lasting damage and create for pain for people than the actual virus itself.

The oil markets are a separate issue and would have nosedived regardless of the pandemic. My comment in regards to that did not necessarily have anything to do with COVID-19.

Got it, ya' shit-heeling, trout sniffer?

"Self quarantine, drink beer, and chillllllllllloutttttt.....

The amount of freaking out over a cold is aaaaamaaazing..... "

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
We're cool, Jimmy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

We are on opposite sides of this you are more blasé (pun intended) about it, me not so much. It's already affecting me.

See, that's just it. I don't think we are on opposite sides. Everything happening right now in response to this outbreak has me greatly concerned, that being in regards to the world markets and local economies.

I suppose what I am more or less blasé about though as you say is the actual virus. That may be true. Catching it doesn't frighten me one bit (then again, if I'm forced into quarantine, that wouldn't be good so maybe I should be worried after all). However, I can appreciate why some members here are concerned about being infected by it. It would certainly worry me if my parents were for instance.

But again, the effect on businesses and their employees worries me more.

I've only been able to skim this article so far, but it looks to be good info.

COVID-19: Implications for business

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm still scratching my head about what exactly a "trout sniffer" is. Razz

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I thought I missed the bottom yesterday w/ the uptick. Seems like it's still searching for bottom. Someone please wake me up when it's at bottom. I've got a little bit of funds to put back into it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still scratching my head about what exactly a "trout sniffer" is.

^^^^
Yeah me too. Too lazy to google. The post did have a pejorative tone though....

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I thought I missed the bottom yesterday w/ the uptick. Seems like it's still searching for bottom. Someone please wake me up when it's at bottom. I've got a little bit of funds to put back into it.

There is some good resistance where the market is at right now, but I don't feel we've hit the bottom. Nobody really knows. I think it's just going to depend on what happens here and how much the virus spreads. I think the market needs to see some good news (ie virus petering out, a vaccine for it) before it really sees the bottom.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

We are on opposite sides of this you are more blasé (pun intended) about it, me not so much. It's already affecting me.

See, that's just it. I don't think we are on opposite sides. Everything happening right now in response to this outbreak has me greatly concerned, that being in regards to the world markets and local economies.

I suppose what I am more or less blasé about though as you say is the actual virus. That may be true. Catching it doesn't frighten me one bit (then again, if I'm forced into quarantine, that wouldn't be good so maybe I should be worried after all). However, I can appreciate why some members here are concerned about being infected by it. It would certainly worry me if my parents were for instance.

But again, the effect on businesses and their employees worries me more.

I've only been able to skim this article so far, but it looks to be good info.

COVID-19: Implications for business

Thanks for link. Looks like Ohio may be leading the way to panic. We will see soon enough I guess.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
In times like these I always here my wise old Dad telling me " Son if you can't afford to lose it don't invest in the market" I was not smart enough to listen to him, so I guess I will accept another loss of value of my IRA and HOPE that it will come back soon. At my age of 65 not a lot of time left!

Posts: 784 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
jge, your dear old dad's philosophy is pretty much the one I have be beating the drum about for quite a while around here.
It is not to avoid the market, but be comfortable in your position in it.
As I have said, everyone has their choice to be where they are. Which is a great thing.
I just think it is wise to regularly evaluate your position and make sure it is a prudent place to be based on critical factors that are unique to you.
If you are placing yourself in a position that is unique to the market then you are setting yourself up for the real possibility of not being where you need to be when you will need the $ the most. Imho

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

I’ve heard of the term trouser trout before as reference to the male anatomy so it might have something to do with that?

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not a recommendation per se, but Ford's dividend yield is over 9% at the moment.

I remember wondering if I should buy in 2007 when it was $2/share...never did because I was afraid they'd go belly up. Frick.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Not a recommendation per se, but Ford's dividend yield is over 9% at the moment.

I remember wondering if I should buy in 2007 when it was $2/share...never did because I was afraid they'd go belly up. Frick.

They are currently headed to bankruptcy, so you still may get your shot.

https://www.ccn.com/forget-the...-ford-stock-to-zero/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been buying a bit every day the market has been down. Still have quite a bit of cash, with some of it slated to be put into the market when we hit a perceived bottom.

My timeline is roughly 10 years before I would want/need any of it.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1528 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

It's a childish attempt at a pejorative that Alan is using because he was called out and can't defend being dismissive of the effect of COVID-19, which is killing Americans and having a negative effect on the markets and then all of a sudden "feeling anxiety" because of lower oil prices, which is generally beneficial to most Americans, but may hurt him.

Posts: 11 | Location: Foothills of SLC | Registered: November 10, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

They are currently headed to bankruptcy, so you still may get your shot.

https://www.ccn.com/forget-the...-ford-stock-to-zero/

CCN has been popping up on my news feed the past few weeks. I've come to the conclusion that that site is not worth reading. They are all doom and gloom all the time. Not saying Ford doesn't have problems, but I think that CCN is the financial news equivalent of InfoWars.

Current CCN home page:

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just used that article because it popped up on Google search. This has been in the news since before the most recent threat from COVID19. They were already very likely headed there, this just might be a little accelerant splashed on the fire.

Sorry for the poor link choice.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a childish attempt at a pejorative that Alan is using because he was called out and can't defend being dismissive of the effect of COVID-19, which is killing Americans and having a negative effect on the markets and then all of a sudden "feeling anxiety" because of lower oil prices, which is generally beneficial to most Americans, but may hurt him.

Crashing of oil prices really hurt the US economy overall (we're usually the biggest oil producer in the world) and are generally detrimental to most of us, regardless of whether we work in the energy field or not (which I don't).

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post