February 27, 2020, 10:20 PM
radioman
Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
largest one day drop ever. Wow.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
February 27, 2020, 10:27 PM
doublesharp
I've happily owned Walgreens stock since early 1990s. Couple days ago it got below $50, 52 wk low, so I added a little. That promptly sent it to $45. Eek

I'm in for long term dividend but share price always matters.

Wesbanco bank, wsbc, has been very good for me and it's at a 52 wk low. pays about 4% and is a consistent dividend raiser, 13 times since 2010 they upped qtrly div.

Stockyards bank, sybt, is another regional bank that consistently raises dividend.

February 27, 2020, 10:29 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I've been out of the market (meaning individual stocks and whatnot) for years now. For the first time in a long time I'm really thinking about getting back in.

This is my situation right now as well, but I'm waiting until the Coronavirus works itself out. People are REALLY underestimating it's effects from an economic standpoint.

We could face a mild set back or we could face a worldwide economic nightmare. If China has 30 more days of shut down effectively, then every American business will be hurt significantly. Automakers won't have parts. Retailers won't have items to sell. Even with opening, the typical people who go to monitor quality won't be there and it may be a big problem. I would think in a health crisis, quality would be a major problem.

Just right now, Disney is hurting with two parks shut down. The cruise industry is suffering. Airlines are suffering deep losses. The Japan Olympics are in danger of cancellation. Apple, Dell, HP are extremely worried and now Samsung is too. How do you see Costco, Best Buy, and others handling television and computer shortages? Thing is that right now no one knows.

Here's an example: As for the Apple comment of workers being in factories working in 30 or 60 days so what's the big deal. What do you think it would do to Apple's profit if the Apple stores and cell phone stores and best buy's have no phones at all to cell for 60 days???? No computers??? No TVs???? No Sound Systems???? That is a HUGE amount of lost income, even for a company such as Apple. And, they'll never recover that, because the phones people do buy in 60 days, just means it will be 60 days longer until they buy a phone next time.
February 28, 2020, 06:08 AM
MNSIG
I just made an additional purchase of shares in my target retirement fund. I don't have to time it to the absolute bottom. I'm feeling confident it will bounce back before I need it and I know it's a better deal than it was last week.
February 28, 2020, 07:36 AM
bubbatime
If you are buying now, you might as well burn money. This thing is falling with no end in sight. Wait until the virus gets REAL bad, people are not making things, things will just be real fantastic in the market.

The other day I said the DOW will drop to 20K, maybe 18K. Today I'll revise that to 14K, maybe 12K.

When it gets down that low, maybe look at buying.

This is far past correction, at least recession, and working its way towards collapse.

Sometimes the house is so rotten you got to burn it down to rebuild.

February 28, 2020, 08:01 AM
holdem
We are not even close to being near the bottom. And to those that think in 60 days this thing will be forgotten, in 60 days is when we are just going to start to feel the real pain.

I am a wholesaler of consumer goods, much of which is made in Asia. I represent a dozen different brands of goods. Nearly all of these brands have factories that were late to re-open after Chinese New Year, and many have yet to re-open at all.

It has not caused any issues yet, as the warehouses in the US were full. But right now, there is no product in containers on ships making its way here. The factories that have yet to re-open are not producing that product. Come April, when I run out of product to sell, my manufacturers stop making money, I stop making money, and my retailers stop making money.

If this virus (or the panic at least), does not die off in the next few weeks, come April is when things are really going to crash.
February 28, 2020, 08:14 AM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
We are not even close to being near the bottom.

Unless you are retiring in 60 days, who cares? If buying was a good idea a month ago, it's a 10% better idea today.

I'm sure as heck not selling anything right now. Guess I should have bought gold from the dude on TV so I could file off the edges and trade for N95 masks.
February 28, 2020, 08:41 AM
mcrimm
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209
bought some F today at $6.95 --- 8% yield

----------------------------------

I sold Ford for that price. My cost was 9 and I would expect their dividend to be lowered. EPS don’t support $0.60.

One of us is right.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
February 28, 2020, 09:04 AM
chellim1
Buy The Dip

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor
February 28, 2020, 10:30 AM
trapper189
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
...Here's an example: As for the Apple comment of workers being in factories working in 30 or 60 days so what's the big deal. What do you think it would do to Apple's profit if the Apple stores and cell phone stores and best buy's have no phones at all to cell for 60 days???? No computers??? No TVs???? No Sound Systems???? That is a HUGE amount of lost income, even for a company such as Apple. And, they'll never recover that, because the phones people do buy in 60 days, just means it will be 60 days longer until they buy a phone next time.

Sort of. If it's only 60 days, there will be pent up demand for those products. Prices for existing inventory will rise and stay higher while supplies catch up to demand. There will be people during the shortage that will still need those goods. They will lose their phones, break them, the phones themselves will break, etc. The effects will be a short term dip sales followed by a short term rise in sales above pre-dip levels which will average to a slight blip in sales.

If the supply remains low for a much longer period of time, people will change their habits. They'll get used to the idea of hanging on to their phones longer and will lengthen the period they keep their phones before replacement. If supplies remain low for a long enough period, people will turn to alternatives, used equipment for example.
February 28, 2020, 10:34 AM
Perception
I personally am loving this. I invest a fixed amount of money every two weeks, and every two weeks right now that money has increased buying power. I'll probably increase my withholding significantly in the next few weeks as a matter of fact. I'm not going to try to time the bottom, but I'll have money in at the bottom anyway.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
February 28, 2020, 10:39 AM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I personally am loving this. I invest a fixed amount of money every two weeks, and every two weeks right now that money has increased buying power. I'll probably increase my withholding significantly in the next few weeks as a matter of fact. I'm not going to try to time the bottom, but I'll have money in at the bottom anyway.

That all works if stocks actually go up again in your lifetime. Wink

Ok, Dow is something like 26,000 and going down about 1000 points per day. So we can only have about 26 more 1000 point down days since it can't go negative.

We'll see where we are in April.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
February 28, 2020, 10:41 AM
smlsig
Like most of you we’re in it for the long term and are primarily invested in domestic growth mutual funds and index funds.

We typically make our annual contribution to our joint taxable account and both IRA’s in January or February.

We have made the contribution but it is sitting in cash for the moment waiting for some semblance of the bottom to show itself. If it takes a day or a month I’m fine with it...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
February 28, 2020, 11:10 AM
trapper189
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Ok, Dow is something like 26,000 and going down about 1000 points per day. So we can only have about 26 more 1000 point down days since it can't go negative.

I remember when the DOW dropped a mere 508 points one day in 1987. That was 22%. It would only have need a little over 3 more days like that to go negative as you say. It can't go negative of course. It also won't go anywhere near zero. If it did, I'd buy the entire market and own every corporation in the world. Of course someone with more cash than me would do it long before it would get cheap enough for me to do it.
February 28, 2020, 11:23 AM
Perception
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

That all works if stocks actually go up again in your lifetime. Wink

Haha, if it doesn't I won't be any more screwed than most anyone else!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
February 28, 2020, 12:56 PM
doublesharp
Bingo! That's why I like bank stocks. If banks go down it's pretty much guns and ammo time.

February 28, 2020, 01:26 PM
agapeman
I'm buying... been waiting to get back in with Apple and Disney... trying to time the bottom is difficult, but the buying opportunities are good in my opinion now since there isn't any fundamental reason for the big downturn but the virus... it will be an issue for awhile but will be forgotten sooner than later.

Rich -
P226R 9MM
P239 .40 / .357
S&W 340 PD
S&W 1911DK
SA Saint Edge Ar
Buckmark Camper
February 28, 2020, 02:40 PM
GT-40DOC
I think that the big money Wall Street "movers and shakers" were wanting a reason for a large correction, as the Market was too expensive. The Corona virus was just the ticket!!! These folks are taking huge profits and letting the price go down. Today, the Feds said that they will lower the interest rates in the next two sessions to "boost" the economy.

If you have extra money, then step right on in, but the Bank CD rates are on a downward trend currently. I just locked in a 2 year Bank CD at a lower rate then I wanted, but so goes life.
February 28, 2020, 02:47 PM
jimmy123x
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
...Here's an example: As for the Apple comment of workers being in factories working in 30 or 60 days so what's the big deal. What do you think it would do to Apple's profit if the Apple stores and cell phone stores and best buy's have no phones at all to cell for 60 days???? No computers??? No TVs???? No Sound Systems???? That is a HUGE amount of lost income, even for a company such as Apple. And, they'll never recover that, because the phones people do buy in 60 days, just means it will be 60 days longer until they buy a phone next time.

Sort of. If it's only 60 days, there will be pent up demand for those products. Prices for existing inventory will rise and stay higher while supplies catch up to demand. There will be people during the shortage that will still need those goods. They will lose their phones, break them, the phones themselves will break, etc. The effects will be a short term dip sales followed by a short term rise in sales above pre-dip levels which will average to a slight blip in sales.

If the supply remains low for a much longer period of time, people will change their habits. They'll get used to the idea of hanging on to their phones longer and will lengthen the period they keep their phones before replacement. If supplies remain low for a long enough period, people will turn to alternatives, used equipment for example.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Look at all of the people who make an income from selling electronics, automobiles, and on and on. If those people stop making money for 2/3/6 months, then they have no money to buy a new phone when it does come in. If stores are out of electronics or phones, do you think they'll not cut their sales force by half or so? And on and on.

The DOW is not done dropping. I'd sit back, wait and when you see it stabilize, be ready to pounce, that is what I'm doing. Unless you sell short. You almost can't go wrong there right now.
February 28, 2020, 03:11 PM
slosig
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If you are buying now, you might as well burn money. This thing is falling with no end in sight. Wait until the virus gets REAL bad, people are not making things, things will just be real fantastic in the market.

The other day I said the DOW will drop to 20K, maybe 18K. Today I'll revise that to 14K, maybe 12K.

When it gets down that low, maybe look at buying.

This is far past correction, at least recession, and working its way towards collapse.

Sometimes the house is so rotten you got to burn it down to rebuild.

bubbatime, I love you man, but you are way too optimistic. Wink

Truth be told, none of us have a clue. We are all only guessing. I suspect the virus problem will not end up being as bad as many of us think, but that the economic result of the panic reaction to it may end up worse than most of us think. (But probably not worse than you seem to think. Wink) At the end of the day, we do the best we can, try to keep our downside protected as well as possible, and drive on. It will all work out however it is all going to work out...