SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yep. Boeing isn’t going to die. Way too many govt contracts.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If I thought I could afford it I would buy 100 shares of boeing at $97 today. 5 years from now I would be kicking myself I did not buy 500 shares. My take anyways.

I would of never thought about buying any at $400 a share. That is for sure.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Correct. Boeing isn't going to die, just like GM and Chrysler didn't die. But current Boeing shareholders and bondholders will get nothing.

The government contracts will be transferred to Lockheed or General Dynamics by the bankruptcy court.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Bye, bye, Boeing.

You could be right...
quote:
^^^ Yeah... but I wouldn't short it right now.
The risk is that it gets a bailout and jumps big, even if temporary.

BOOM: 167.15 up over 30% today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chellim1,

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's stock won't get wiped out.

quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah... but I wouldn't short it right now.
The risk is that it gets a bailout and jumps big, even if temporary.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Just saw one of the big banking firms forecast a 24% reduction in U.S. economic activity (from 5% not long ago). That is huge.

Goldman Sachs. They could be the worst investment bank, but sobering none the less.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/2...ng-by-24percent.html

JPM, one of the best, is predicting a 14% decline in second quarter GDP. (CNBC 3:34PM EDT 3/20/20)

Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I have a great deal of money in the market...and this is just a blip...but I do see some opportunities but most of my holdings are near or at their historical highs

my best holding (thanks to Jim Allen) was to get into Realty Income at about $18 a share Big Grin

not sure I want to add any new stock to that one even on a dip

This is not a blip, this is a drastic collapse of consumer spending that might go on for 12 months or more. Companies are drawing down their revolving credit lines. This is a liquidity crisis we have no model for. You will see chapter elevens in a widespread spectrum across corporations America. The trillions of dollars the US government will throw at this is going to be shocking. MG
BTT

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have a great deal of money in the market...and this is just a blip...but I do see some opportunities but most of my holdings are near or at their historical highs

my best holding (thanks to Jim Allen) was to get into Realty Income at about $18 a share Big Grin

This is not a blip, this is a drastic collapse of consumer spending that might go on for 12 months or more. Companies are drawing down their revolving credit lines. This is a liquidity crisis we have no model for. You will see chapter elevens in a widespread spectrum across corporations America. The trillions of dollars the US government will throw at this is going to be shocking. MG
BTT

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
quote:
quote:

BTT

wonder when they will realize the 'cure' is worse than the disease

like cranking a tourniquet down on a patient's neck who has a scalp laceration...

especially when they realize the mortality % is a FRACTION of 1%

-----------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Nothing is ever as good as it first may seem

nor is anything ever as bad as it first may seem

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought 100 shares of TWIN (disc) today at just under $8, it's been fluctuating about 20% a day, so I think I'm only going to hold it short term.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering this to be the COVID 19 Economic Impact Thread:

State tax revenue will be decimated. I wonder which States were solvent going into this and which were basically bankrupt before this started?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
braillediver: You ask a very important question.

I have been fearing this for many years. Oh, I didn't know it would be the coronavirus but I have feared that there would be some 'crisis' that would come along and give the corrupt, bankrupt, Democrat controlled states of New York, Illinois, and California the cover to beg for and eventually receive bailouts from the rest of us who have lived more frugal lives, in more frugal states.

This is going to get political. How can it not be? The places hardest hit by the coronavirus are the places where the population density is high. They also happen to be the places where Democrats control everything. The rest of us are going to end up paying the tab for the profligate spending and borrowing. These states have been living beyond their means for years and it will soon come crashing down, not just on them but on the rest of us as well.

Look at this map:

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
alright -- gents -- who's calling the bottom ??

-50% for the Dow would put it at ~14,750. That would he historic.

Does it fall that far ? That's 'only' about 5k from where we are now.

if we go full lock down -- what's the likelihood that trading gets suspended?

--------------------------------

posted Hide Post
I think we will see 15K on the Dow by Friday.

It will go lower the week after, unless President Trump finds The Cure by then.

President Trump will have found multiple cures for the virus by April 15th.

Dow 30K by the 4th of July.

Or not.

Dances with Crabgrass

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Hay2bale: I like how you think. Big Grin

-rduckwor

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm with him!

If anyone can do that, it's President Trump!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I'm with him!

If anyone can do that, it's President Trump!

He IS very smart, you know!

Dances with Crabgrass

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Dow futures pointing to another 1000 pt drop for the DJIA. Uncertainty due to the stall in getting the stimulus package inked.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post