SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
The market timers and bottom fishers, proceed with caution . The fed has shot its wad. The best news we could possibly see is we have found an antiviral, that probability is currently low.

I don't think the gun is empty yet, but they are running low on bullets.

The Fed basically has 4 shots, and has now used 2 of them.

What are the other two?

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Dow down 2700pts. Trading halted.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Given what is going on right now, they may need to suspend trading for a while before this drives us into a depression.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Dow down 2700pts. Trading halted.

That was an hour ago. It's gained back 1000 points already. I jumped in right after trading resumed and bought some SPY and AMZN. Up 3 percent already. No matter what happens to the rest of the market in the next few weeks, Amazon is going to make a killing during this fiasco.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stocks used to have a "Reasonable" worth based on Price to Earnings Ratio.

What would the Market be at today if that were the case- absent the insanity?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Stocks used to have a "Reasonable" worth based on Price to Earnings Ratio.

What would the Market be at today if that were the case- absent the insanity?

That's the rub. You'd have to be able to figure out an appropriate 'E' part, to calculate that ratio. It'd be pretty irrational to use trailing 12 months results - at this point so much irrelevant history - to calculate with.

Good luck forecasting earnings, in this environment. Any P/E numbers should be taken with gargantuan grains of salt.

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, bought some stocks that hit a 1 year low. I'm gonna ignore until the market recovers and see how I do.... Smile

Minor amounts but could help for major purchase if I need to later this year.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
quote:
The market timers and bottom fishers, proceed with caution . The fed has shot its wad. The best news we could possibly see is we have found an antiviral, that probability is currently low.

I don't think the gun is empty yet, but they are running low on bullets.

The Fed basically has 4 shots, and has now used 2 of them.

What are the other two?

Fed Tools

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Okay, bought some stocks that hit a 1 year low. I'm gonna ignore until the market recovers and see how I do.... Smile

Minor amounts but could help for major purchase if I need to later this year.

when this thing subsides the stock market will explode

think of all the pent up 'demand' that will erupt all at once

for example -- 100,000 guys stuck at home with nothing to do but research new truck models on the internet... with 1% financing thrown in...

once this thing clears they will absolutely swamp dealerships.

re-booking flights, re-booking cruises, vacations, etc.

of course there will be some employment disruptions but i bet most employers go with furlough-type response vs. lay-offs.

and i bet we will see a personal $$$ stimulus package any day now

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DOW 18K is my time to start plowing money back in, might be tomorrow, or might be next week, but it's coming and I am ready to do my part by buying!

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
DOW 18K is my time to start plowing money back in, might be tomorrow, or might be next week, but it's coming and I am ready to do my part by buying!

That sounds like a good plan! And DOW 18K could be here by 10:30AM tomorrow.

There are a lot of stocks (that I own) that are down 50% in a month. It's like buy one get one free!

Bargains everywhere!

I cannot believe the over reaction to a not particularly deadly virus.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I bought some select stocks. Small money.

I'm thinking about shifting some 401k funds from bonds to index (SP500) now-ish and the re-balance after recovery (sp back to 3400).

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I bought some select stocks. Small money.

I'm thinking about shifting some 401k funds from bonds to index (SP500) now-ish and the re-balance after recovery (sp back to 3400).

Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

sounds good to me

do you think the stock market will be higher or lower in 3-5 years?

Warren Buffet quote:

"Every decade or so, dark clouds will fill the economic skies, and they will briefly rain gold. When downpours of that sort occur, it’s imperative that we rush outdoors carrying washtubs, not teaspoons. And that we will do."

He knows a thing or two about money.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I put a little more money to work today -bought a little HD, MMM and EDP.

At some point BA will become a buy, but just too much uncertainty in that sector for me to jump in. I'd rather buy it 20% higher than here with a clearer outlook. Or I'm happy to just buy other things that I feel better about. There's plenty to choose from.

Due to my profession, I wasn't invested in the market significantly after 2009, so i missed the 10yr bull market. Now I feel like I can make up for lost time.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm at an age where I'm supposed to be keeping a significant mix of 401k in bonds (or low risk). I thinking about taking some risk and shifting it to equity to take advantage of the possible short term opportunity resulting from COVID. Then shift it back to bonds after it's recovered.

I'd still have a good mix in equity that can leverage hopefully further future gains. But I'm supposed to keep a certain mix in bonds, so I'm advised.

Kinda risk averse so not sure if I'm being overly tempted and greedy.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bought a bit today, we shall see. My powder is still dry, plan to continue as long as there is ‘blood in the streets’.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a follower of Buffet, Munger and BRKa for many years, mainly becoming aware of them thru my Grandfather’s involvement with Grinnel insurance over 25 years ago. That being said I would be careful with Warren here. He had very large positions in the airlines at the end of the year, he has suffered large losses here. Don’t let fear of missing out cloud your unique position.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been a follower of Buffet, Munger and BRKa for many years, mainly becoming aware of them thru my Grandfather’s involvement with Grinnel insurance over 25 years ago. That being said I would be careful with Warren here. He had very large positions in the airlines at the end of the year, he has suffered large losses here. Don’t let fear of missing out cloud your unique position.

Buffet bought 1 million shares of Delta a week ago at $46 a share. I was talking to one of his buddies and they said he's in for the long haul not the short term. He lost $3 Billion on airline stocks last week. Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Buffet bought 1 million shares of Delta a week ago at $46 a share. I was talking to one of his buddies and they said he's in for the long haul not the short term. He lost $3 Billion on airline stocks last week. Big Grin

Not so sure how long of a haul he's got...

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I’d be willing to wager a cold beer that Buffet doubles down (or more) on his Deltaposition. Like dollar cost averaging, it would make his initial purchase more profitable or easier to get out of.

But, he did not call and ask my opinion.......

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post