SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stock Market Bargains and the Virus
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Market Bargains and the Virus Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Look at the bright side:
We can only lose 2,000 points on the DOW for another 10 days!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
I believe the cascading down has just started.

We have:
A new strain of virus (likely overhyped, but new and somewhat unknown)
A huge destabilization this weekend in the energy sector
Supply and therefore consumption impacts that are unknown now, but they will be negatives for the markets
Profit and guidance impacts that are unknown now
Decreased money velocity from the virus and travel impact

It would not surprise me to see the S&P500 at 2,000. I moved out of the market on Feb 25, will move into the SH soon and buy the SSO when it bottoms and starts climbing.

A move to 2000 on the 500 would equate to a PE of 13. The large and rapid moves in the credit and oil markets cause anxiety for instution failures similar to the 2008 meltdown. Corporate bond funds on the wrong side have been a worry that they will drop the gate , thus stopping withdrawals.

That being said I would expect some rapid relief and stimulus to be forthcoming.

Copied from Page 7 - I have been traveling. Midwest Guy, I like your logic and I'm not not in any way to start an argument, just approaching the discussion from a mathematical angle.......

I don't think we can base 2020 earnings to be equal to 2019 earnings. I think the consensus for 2019 earnings on the S&P500 was $164 per share. With all the restrictions, closings, quarantines, etc, I think it's safe to say 2020 earnings will be below 2019 earnings by some %. Let's just say we believe that 2020 earnings will be off %25 (to $123/share). Let's also assume that investors are going to be spooked and not willing to pay 17 P/E, but maybe looking for 14, that would result in a S&P500 index being 1,722.

We closed at 2,481 today. I don't think anyone has enough of a crystal ball to guess when the Corona virus news is going to get better, but the longer it goes on the more 2020 earnings are going to be impacted and I am pretty sure the further down the bottom will be.

If my memory serves me we closed March 9, 2009 at a S&P500 value of 677. The causes were totally different, but that was the "bottom" then.

I moved to cash on Feb 25 of this year at S&P500 at 3,128 and am glad I did.......

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Personally, I went cash about three weeks ago.

there's always one

---------------------------

He seemed to do well during the Dec 2018 dip too.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...810022154#6810022154

He also made 358% on a Bitcoin trade
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...760020334#4760020334

Maybe next time he can tell his financial moves before a big market shift, rather than brag about it after the fact. Wink

How's the ride so far Radiomnan? Enjoy! Are you all in yet?

Do tell!

Ive been cashed out for awhile and looking for an opportunity to buy in. Is the time here, or are you waiting?

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Dow down 10% today, S&P and Nasdaq similar losses.

Airlines taking a huge hit, some in the -20% range.

On the brighter side, bargains out there Smile

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Heathtx, Several issues are bothering icw with trying to model this market: The crude collapse is probably being overlooked by COVID. There are $1.7 trillion dollars in basic junk grade bonds that are tied to the shale producers. The employment side of the oil industry employs greater than 5 million people. The numbers of borrowed debt and employment are not inconsequential.

The travel industry makes up currently 5% of world GDP, as we have seen here and worldwide we are moving to a travel lockdown. The great unknown is when travel,lodging and ancillary businesses will move back to normalcy.

The response by the market today to rally and then reverse on the NY feds injection of liquidity on a massive scale is a vote of no confidence. Capital preservation to me currently is the order of the day.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

there's always one

Maybe next time he can tell his financial moves before a big market shift, rather than brag about it after the fact. Wink

Do tell!

Ive been cashed out for awhile and looking for an opportunity to buy in. Is the time here, or are you waiting?

Maybe wait for the 2 - 10 % swings per day to calm down? No rush. Cash is nice as hell. Keep your powder dry young man Big Grin

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Interesting that gold is having a terrible week. Typically, you would see a flight to safety and gold would go up in a panic like we're seeing but gold is more than 10% off its recent highs and is down over 4% today.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
DAMN.... missed a huge opportunity to buy. Low yesterday and a high today (+15%). I keep missing the boat. Waaaaahhhhh.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
DAMN.... missed a huge opportunity to buy. Low yesterday and a high today (+15%). I keep missing the boat. Waaaaahhhhh.

there's still a lot of volatility in the near future I'm thinking

be patient as i bet we see some serious up and down action before we start the final recovery

you'll get your shot Smile

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along Investment Lines- The custom knife listings on Bladeforums were kind of slow. There's been a recent uptick of Knife Postings there and it looks like more diverse offerings. People are probably clearing out their stockpile to buy toilet paper.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

there's always one

Do tell!

Maybe wait for the 2 - 10 % swings per day to calm down? No rush. Cash is nice as hell. Keep your powder dry young man Big Grin

I've had to resist the urge to try and daytrade those wild swings. The urge is still there, but I've always sucked at gambling, so I'm maintaining my discipline.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Our wealth management company made quite a few equity purchases yesterday (Friday). One position that they went after particularly hard is oil and gas.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
From the sale of my Ford stock I bought a little bit of XOM at $35 or thereabouts, and a few shares of VOO at about $235.

Still have most of my stake in VGSH, but might convert some of it to cash to have purchasing power in a few weeks.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The market timers and bottom fishers, proceed with caution . The fed has shot its wad. The best news we could possibly see is we have found an antiviral, that probability is currently low.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Interesting that gold is having a terrible week.

Gold will go higher because it has to. Traders are just liquidating their positions.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I did a little bottom fishing on the 12th, May do some more today. Mind you this isn’t large lump sums, not blowing any wads.

I have two longer term aggressive stock funds with Vanguard(IRA)just adding to that from a money market.

The share price bounced up 5+% on Friday.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The market timers and bottom fishers, proceed with caution . The fed has shot its wad. The best news we could possibly see is we have found an antiviral, that probability is currently low.

I don't think the gun is empty yet, but they are running low on bullets.

The "market" has and will overreact. If you know what you are looking for, there will be once in a decade type opportunity.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am watching ticker JETS (airline mutal fund). If they shut down US travel and the airlines tank im going to throw a few bucks in.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
quote:

I don't think the gun is empty yet, but they are running low on bullets.

The Fed basically has 4 shots, and has now used 2 of them.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I think the boat is back

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post